Boss OC-3

t-rey

• Members

Anybody have any experience with one? I have been wanting an octave pedal for awhile, but don't really want to shell out for a Micro Pog right now. I had been looking at the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe (and I still am) but the OC-3 has my attention because they are cheap and it also has a poly mode.

Since it's poly, I assume it tracks 2-3 note simple chords with no problem, right?

It has a feature that can track just the bottom note of a chord - is this as useful and awesome as it sounds?

Basically, are they any good, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Feel free to chime in about the MXR if you have any experience with that as well.

• Members

I used the OC-3 for a long time.. I really liked it because I loved the OC-2 and it has that mode... but I pretty much used it for the DRIVE mode which is a great octave down fuzz!! The POLY mode does have settings that only octave the lower strings and then you can solo and there is no octave on those notes and it does track like simple power chords... but that mode just wasn't as cool as the other 2 modes so I really never used it.

• Members

The OC-3 does an ok job on the Poly mode. It get the job done, but it's far from a MicroPog. Since they are quite cheap, they are nice

to have around. I own both the OC-2 and OC-3, and the OC-2 mode of the OC-3 does a very good job IMO. I compared them, and in a band situation,

it's hard to tell the difference. The Drive mode is quite cool too. I got mine for $45, which was a good deal!

• Members

Thanks for the input guys. So in the poly mode it does okay with small/simple chords? In the mode where it tracks the low note could I play chords and have it just tracking the root like there were a simple bass track playing along?

I think I'm sold on at least trying one out, then try the MXR, then the MicroPOG if I still can't find what I'm looking for.

• Members

my experience: complete garbage. glitches in tracking on almost every note. get the micro pog and save yourself a LOT of trouble.. SO pissed i sld my micro pog
:cry:

So even in poly mode it won't track one or two notes well? I don't mind a little bit of wobble - the octave tone I dig is really close to CKY. What I am looking for is something that will make stoner riffs sound super gnarly, and since this can track just the lowest note I could still play chords and whatnot. Does this change your mind at all, or would I still be better off looking elsewhere?

• Members

So even in poly mode it won't track one or two notes well? I don't mind a little bit of wobble - the octave tone I dig is really close to CKY. What I am looking for is something that will make stoner riffs sound super gnarly, and since this can track just the lowest note I could still play chords and whatnot. Does this change your mind at all, or would I still be better off looking elsewhere?

Perhaps the octave multiplexer?

Edit: I use the fulltone octafuzz infront of my distortion for exactly this purpose. Octa mode with low gain and volume. This adds a thick layer of fuzz ontop of the distortion when playing the lower strings. I use this for heavy thick slow fuzz riffs and chords.

• Members

In Poly mode, it tracks chords good, but nothing like the MicroPog(which is great)

Archived