My fuzz knob isn't working?

Operator

• Members

This is my fuzz pedal. I had in my drawer for a little while, and when I plugged it in, the fuzz knob doesn't seem to work. It gets power, the volume knob works, but turning the fuzz pedal no longer does anything, and it sounds like it's stuck on zero. What's wrong with it? What do I do?

IMG_0012.jpg

• Members
pop it open, look for a loose wire coming from that knob/pot.

look for burnt parts (especially a diode)

buy a new one

Hmm it's in there really tightly... I don't know from parts, but the pot and diodes and stuff are on the other side of the circuit board that's visible when you pop it open, and it's wedged in there pretty tight. I'm not very handy, I feel like I'll break something if I try to get the guts out. :o:(

• Members

Hmm it's in there really tightly... I don't know from parts, but the pot and diodes and stuff are on the other side of the circuit board that's visible when you pop it open, and it's wedged in there pretty tight. I'm not very handy, I feel like I'll break something if I try to get the guts out.
:o:(

well, it's going to be impossible to fix/trouble shoot unless you take it apart. So..... :idk:

• Members

It's a fuzz face? Should be pretty easy to fix. Can you take a picture of the inside for us? It might be something we can see easily.

Yeah, just a regular germanium FF. I think it has some buffers or something? I don't know anything about this stuff.

Ok here's a photo. I don't know if this shows anything useful or not...

IMG_0096.jpg

• Members

im probably not the guy to solve your problem but i think youre going to need clearer pics to have someone spot something. a bad solder joint youd probably spot when you took it apart.

good luck man, i hope someone around here helps you out. a lot of smart, helpful, and charitable members here in my experience.

• Members

Thanks man. The camera on my phone is the only camera I have and it's god awful. Maybe I can convince V to troubleshoot this and a couple other pedals with dumb problems I have in exchange for beer/whiskey/hand jobs.

You bastard! I'm allergic to malt liquors, I'll die!.

Ok, maybe not die...but yeah I can take a look at it, anyway.

• Members
Ok so I plugged in the separated circuit board just to see what would happen, and now it works perfectly.

Should I just put it back together and pretend this incident never happened?
:confused:

Most likely just an intermittant pc board connection, 90% of the problems with solid state crap is intermittant pc board connections.

Reflow the pots, jacks and switches and any connections that look funny, or have cold solder joints.
then clean the pots and jacks with DeOxit and you're probably good to go.

Archived