OT: Music Related Internships...

Josh33

• Members

Hey fellas,

I'm working on lining up an internship for the summer. I'm really hoping to get something music related. I am a communications radio/tv major. I have explored a lot of the local radio stations and the few recording/production firms in Pittsburgh and am planning on applying to them.

But...I'm trying to think a little out of the box. I'm interested in record labels/music distribution, promotions, marketing, recording etc.. I wouldn't mind having to move to another city either. I just want to find a really great internship. I feel like none of the places I'm applying to are really the best fit.

Maybe this thread could turn into a good resource for a lot of the other young guys hoping to get a career in music or media!

Where have some of you guys interned at? Any good places to search? Tips?

• Members

I'll send you contact info for John Low at Miner Street. He's a {censored}ing boss, and they have insanely awesome gear. Are you trying to get paid?

righteous breau. Honestly i dont care if i get paid or not. I just want to make sure i can get the best internship as possible. I have enough money saved up that i could relocate for a summer if i have to. I can also sell some gear if i really have to :(

• Members

Look at major cable tv networks and large scale video production companies. The production companies will have sound mixers on staff. The networks should have mixers and composers on staff. The networks should offer internships fairly regularly too. An internship there would be a good way to get your foot in the door for doing sound work for television, which isn't glamorous, but can be a steady gig with good pay. Also, if you have experience with mixing sound for television, you can always freelance for production companies while pursuing stuff you're more interested in, creatively speaking, down the road.

• Members

most labels have shrunk and they tend to outsource a lot of projects. also, they rarely hire new people in the current climate. id steer clear from a label if you;re looking for valuable internship time

yeah, this is super true. I am really interested in the distriution of music though. Since the business model has changed so much in the last 10 years i think it would be really interested in experimenting with the idea of a record label someday. So getting a internship at a record label just to see how they do things wrong is kinda what i was hoping for. But.. im probably not going to aim for a record label unless i can find a really good internship at one. There just arent enough, especially around here that are going to provide the type of experience i want.

Archived