OT: Not loving my new Macbook Pro

Gonkboy

• Members

just got my first Mac actually and its running very well so far, I got it "used" though the dude kept it supppper clean and it has apple care till may 13'

I tried my USB audio interface with it and was able to use the lowest sample/driver setting on it with no hiccups what so ever. I could not do this with my Gateway i5 - could only get like 128 samples, maybe more, before you'd hear the pops and clicks. That is a i5 quad core by the way.

This is an i7, with 8gb ram. I'm on the market for a firewire interface. Getting used to the OS has been interesting since I've only used Win computers.

It is a pricey machine no doubt but I paid next to nothing since I used the monies from my Klon flip.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really like building my own PCs. Picking out all the components and putting it together is fun. On top of choosing every part I can often tweak each hardware component that I was just holding in my own hands through it's own accompanying software, as well as in the BIOS. Even moderately priced ASUS motherboards offer alternate custom boot-up screens and audio notifications as well as component/task specific overclocking, and much more.

Apple users do not tend to have the same approach as me in this way and since they often refer to the operating system and software that they use I hope they find similar joys in that domain.

Did that sound like I'm a mechanic with a snifter of brandy standing on a mountain top?

• Members
I bought a new Macbook Pro and have to say that it's not that impressive. From the way people talk I thought it would be much better. The internet is not that faster than on my 5 year old Dell. All the programs require everything to be in particular formats or it won't work. My dad bought an Acer laptop for half the price and it is just as good. In fact the Acer has a touch screen so it's probably a bit better.

Fanboy'd.
:mad:

I have a Macbook and my internet speeds are so fast that they're paranormal. The only problem with it is the ghost of Steve Jobs keeps knocking stuff over in my room at night.

• Members

Do it Apple's way or you are {censored}ed. That's always been the motto of the late Steve Jobs. EVERYTHING is supposed to make it "easy" but just try to do something different and not give your soul and credit card over to Apple. Good {censored}in' luck. I have an iPad, solely because Apple monopolized everything else off the market. As long as I do what Apple wants, it works, but it's ten times harder to get around Apple's restrictions than it is to get around Windows' and to no advantage.

I won't have an iPhone, I have an Android. My old iPod is nearly worthless--and trying to get iTunes to actually keep albums and songs together is more work than it's worth. Sure, if you want a POPULAR album, iTunes works. But anything off the beaten track, or talking books? It's a disaster!

Doing it Apples way is a great idea. They create a great user experience and typically their way is very intuitive.

Apple monopolized the tablet market? No, they just made the best tablet.

iTunes is very simple to manage your music.

• Members
Doing it Apples way is a great idea. They create a great user experience and typically their way is very intuitive.

Apple monopolized the tablet market? No, they just made the best tablet.

iTunes is very simple to manage your music.

brainwashing.jpg

• Members

There is not one thing about Macintosh software, hardware, or performance that justifies the price other than the carefully styled hair of the hip guy in the commercials. In the old days, maybe you could make an argument that Adobe worked better on the Mac platform and Windows cornered the market on Office management (Word, Excel, et al), but that is absolutely not the case now. Macs don't even use different processors now. Even listening to the replies in this thread (although every thread that brings out the Macfanboys sounds identical), what do you hear? Parroting an ad campaign, i.e: Vague commentary about user experience, learning curve, just buy everything Apple, etc. I work as a computer software developer, I run a PC with Linux at home and I generally use Windows computers elsewhere.

By all means though, if Daddy's money is hot in your pocket or you've got a student loan better not roll up into that coffee shop looking like a pauper, amirite?

• Members

There is not one thing about Macintosh software, hardware, or performance that justifies the price other than the carefully styled hair of the hip guy in the commercials. In the old days, maybe you could make an argument that Adobe worked better on the Mac platform and Windows cornered the market on Office management (Word, Excel, et al), but that is absolutely not the case now. Macs don't even use different processors now. Even listening to the replies in this thread (although every thread that brings out the Macfanboys sounds identical), what do you hear? Parroting an ad campaign, i.e: Vague commentary about user experience, learning curve, just buy everything Apple, etc. I work as a computer software developer, I run a PC with Linux at home and I generally use Windows computers elsewhere.

By all means though, if Daddy's money is hot in your pocket or you've got a student loan better not roll up into that coffee shop looking like a pauper, amirite?

Sounds like you haven't used a Mac.

I also bought my Mac with my own money.

You're right, it is stylish.

• Members

I mean, I love Windows 7, I have a partition of it on my Macbook. I just find OS X to be a better user experience, I find things more intuitive and streamlined and less crash prone than on a windows operating system. I've watched my friend go through 2 laptops while my Macbook is still running along just fine, I've watched my other friend replace part after part in his desktop PC, while I haven't had to replace a thing in my Macbook. I feel like the Mac hardware is worth it. Again, I think Windows 7 is great too.

At the end of the day though, they pretty much do the exact same thing. It all comes down to preference.

• Members

I mean, I love Windows 7, I have a partition of it on my Macbook.

Advantage: Mac.

Can Windows run partitions with OSX on it? No?

What about even just running a virtual machine within Windows handling OSX that you can swipe between the two operating systems on your.. um, scrollwheel mouse! Oh, no? Weak.

• Members

you can but you have to build a hackintosh, which i will probably make one day. you basically build a computer with parts similar to what mac uses. you can make a super mac, but there are some disadvantages.

• Members

Do it Apple's way or you are {censored}ed. That's always been the motto of the late Steve Jobs. EVERYTHING is supposed to make it "easy" but just try to do something different and not give your soul and credit card over to Apple. Good {censored}in' luck. I have an iPad, solely because Apple monopolized everything else off the market. As long as I do what Apple wants, it works, but it's ten times harder to get around Apple's restrictions than it is to get around Windows' and to no advantage.

I won't have an iPhone, I have an Android. My old iPod is nearly worthless--and trying to get iTunes to actually keep albums and songs together is more work than it's worth. Sure, if you want a POPULAR album, iTunes works. But anything off the beaten track, or talking books? It's a disaster!

This could be included on the textbooks for school.

• Members

Advantage: Mac.

What about even just running a virtual machine within Windows handling OSX that you can swipe between the two operating systems on your.. um, scrollwheel mouse! Oh, no? Weak.

Uh, sure it can. I'm typing this on my Windows 8 DP/OS 10.7.2 dual boot running on my Lenovo y560 as we speak.

• Members

Now that's silly.

Not going to list all, but a couple that just came to my mind,

- I have not used an anti-virus since 2004

- I can choose the OS language, and write on any language I want on mac, really good if you are Spanish, live in Japan and write on English boards.

Archived