Best Phase 90?

surfcat

• Members

I tried a '74 Reissu scipt-the one with no led, no power input-sounds great but a bit hissy. I'm looking for that classic '70s phase-Zeppelin (Rover, etc), Van Halen, Floyd, Eagles, etc. The Analogman modded one is an option but it's pricey for a 1 knob phaser.

I've been checking out others online but I want to make sure it's got that sound and any other features are icing. I know I'll get some Whirlwind and Retrosonic suggestions-do these really compare?

Another one I really like on youtube is the Cmatmods-has 3 knobs so the depth control (like the Retro-sonic) is a big plus, but does it really nail the 70's phase 90 sound?http://youtu.be/XkCS4IUm_JQ

Notice the slow whooshing sound from about 2:00-love that sound.

The VFE Enterprise is another versitile one-2,3 and 4 stage switch, unive/phaser switch. If it also nails the '74 sound that would be great.

The Pheiffer one is also pretty cool looking but I'm not sure the sweep is right-it sounds very wah-like, but if anyone's tried it, what are your impressions?

• Members

Can you go into more detail? I like it's features but I just want to know how well it does the classic stuff-VH, Zep, etc. Thanks.

It's good for that VH thing. See, I use phaser either for reggae or modern sounding gainy rhythm/lead licks.

I'm not a vintage tone expert thiough. It's pretty tweakable, if you like Phase 90s, I doubt this one would disappoint. My first phaser was the Malekko and it's got a different thing goin on which I like. It's a little more extreme sounding, whereas the VFE seems more natural and mellow. The feedback knob can make it insane though.

• Members

It's good for that VH thing. See, I use phaser either for reggae or modern sounding gainy rhythm/lead licks.

I'm not a vintage tone expert thiough. It's pretty tweakable, if you like Phase 90s, I doubt this one would disappoint. My first phaser was the Malekko and it's got a different thing goin on which I like. It's a little more extreme sounding, whereas the VFE seems more natural and mellow. The feedback knob can make it insane though.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep yours in mind.

• Members

It's pretty much a phase 90 on crack. Yes it can do all of those things. I can get floyd tones out of a small stone...it really depends on on how you play though dude...

Yeah, I know it can get kind of whacky from the demos. I'm not sure how much I'd actually use it like that though which is why I want to make sure it can also get the classic sounds, which I'd use most of the time. The vibe setting is cool, but I do have a mini deja-not sure if this one would knock it off the board but if it's close enough it might save some space.

• Members

yea the enterprise looks sweet. lots and lots of versatility, but it seems to be very extreme - not too much where its more traditional.

the retrosonic phaser looks really good too.

and the Mad Professor phaser gets lots of great reviews if you have that coin to drop on it.

but i'd say your best bet is the VFE, dont get the whirlwind if you werent happy with the '74 phase 90 reissue

• Members

Yeah, I know it can get kind of whacky from the demos. I'm not sure how much I'd actually use it like that though which is why I want to make sure it can also get the classic sounds, which I'd use most of the time. The vibe setting is cool, but I do have a mini deja-not sure if this one would knock it off the board but if it's close enough it might save some space.

The vibe is not really like a vibe. It's weird, just kinda makes the phase sound different, a little flatter or something. You'll wanna keep your deja if you like vibe.

Basically to me, that switch was always on P, I'd bounce between 3 and 4 stage, hated the 2. Feedback in the center, or left a little to make it more intense (the sacrifice is that if you add too much negative feedback, the headroom goes way down and itMs peaky if you play clean). With gain though, that negative feedback really helps it cut. Depth was always all the way up. Rate varied. Tiny black mix knob was always dead center.

• Members

yea the enterprise looks sweet. lots and lots of versatility, but it seems to be very extreme - not too much where its more traditional.

the retrosonic phaser looks really good too.

and the Mad Professor phaser gets lots of great reviews if you have that coin to drop on it.

but i'd say your best bet is the VFE, dont get the whirlwind if you werent happy with the '74 phase 90 reissue

I wouldn't say I wasn't happy with the '74-I actually got one that was defective but I liked the sound a lot. From what I understand the Whirlwind is close but not exactly the same so I'm not sure if I'd like it as much or not. The Retro-sonic is kind of the same situation, it's supposed to be close and a lot of people like it but it's not exactly the same either. There's just no way to try them out in person.

The Cmat mods sounds promising but it seems like no one has one so reviews are scarce. If anyone can compare or review any of them I'd appreciate any feedback. I haven't tried many so the '74 is really my reference point.

I've also read that the Retro-sonic has an internal trim pot that gets it closer to the Mxr-I don't know why they don't adjust it that way from the start. I wonder how close it can get? With that one I worry about it being too subtle.

• Members

I'd try the Maxon PT-999 Phase Tone. REALLY swirly and cool, I couldn't help but play Shine On You Crazy Diamond every time I picked up my guitar. Way too expensive new but used they go around $75ish. I stupidly sold it to try another phaser that turned out to suck hard (Nobels PH-D). Evidently it has a trimmer for "compression," but I never even opened it up.

maxphase.jpg

• Members

I'd try the Maxon PT-999 Phase Tone. REALLY swirly and cool, I couldn't help but play Shine On You Crazy Diamond every time I picked up my guitar. Way too expensive new but used they go around $75ish. I stupidly sold it to try another phaser that turned out to suck hard (Nobels PH-D). Evidently it has a trimmer for "compression," but I never even opened it up.

maxphase.jpg

Yeah, forgot that one. There's a Gearmanndude video of that and the '74 and they sound really close.

Archived