Any of yous gig with a JCA20H?

Loobs

• Members

I'm thinking of bidding on one on ebay. I'm not really playing clean at all in my current band so needing a loud clean amp isn't really a requirement. I'm not really using any pedals either, just occasionally the Timmy as a boost, a fuzz, sometimes a delay. I just need something that will do a good cranked Marshall style grind and clean up well for quieter moments. No doubt some of the shows we'll be playing come the end of the month will have appalling PAs so if it can hang with a fairly loud (not brutally loud) drummer unmic'd that'd be a distict advantage. So...fill me in, dewds.

There are also a couple of really cheap JCA50Hs available too...but I think that might be a bit too loud to really get going as well as being bigger and heavier. Also, are these amps well built and reliable?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, our rhytm guitarist uses the 100. The LED went out after only a couple weeks, but we abuse that thing, and have for over a year anf a half w/ the same tubes and it still does itMs job. Sounds fantastic thru a good cab, and doesn't need to be screamingly loud to sound nice.

Were I you, I'd lean towards the 50. I'm just a big fan of wattage. Seems I would miss the clean headroom way more than early breakup... that's just me though.

• Members

I used to have one and gigged it a couple of times with a loud band, it was loud enough, couldn't really do clean, but that's not what you're after I guess. Recently I practiced with 2 other guitarists with 30watt oranges, which are pretty loud, and it kept up with them.

I did have some problems hearing myself when using a closed back cab and standing in front of it, but that's a general cab problem I guess. I sold it recently and got a 50watt head to get some more clean headroom as I'm playing organ through it too.

• Members

i havent had any problems at all with mine other than the stock tubes being terrible. you should be fine with the 50w. i was ok with the

20 watt but i was only jamming with a drummer at his place and his kit wasnt super loud or anything.

theres at least one massive, billion page thread on the amp forum about all the possible mods for these amps.

• Members

Yeah, my plan is to retolex it in some paisley fabric and stick white chicken heads on it. I'm sure it doesn't sound like a two grand amp, but that's not the point. The demos vary from good to horrible, but that's often the case regardless of the amp.

• Members

Cheers. Might swing for the 50. It's not like it'll ever be used at home, so whatever. Are there any easy mods for these amps that are worth doing?

Depth mod and SLO mod seem to be really common on the 50s. I have a 22h and that little guy is absurdly loud - unless you want to play clean or are in a loud band you should be fine. If I were in a band I would have probably got the 50 though so I knew it would be enough and I could have some decent clean toanz.

• Members

Yeah I like a good looking amp but whateves as long as it sounds good... Which is questionable based on the demos I just watched. Good luck buddy

Tell me there aren't many {censored}ty demos of expensive gear too though. And to be honest, the better players usually demo better gear than really cheap gear.

Archived