OT: E-Readers, what do you use?

boytbpc

• Members

I would like an e-Reader. I'm just looking for a book substitute, as I am planning on getting a full tablet (Asus EEE Transformer Prime or iPad) in the coming 6 months.

What eReader do you have and do you recommend it?

• Members

guess i'm the first one to vote huh.

i have one of the current generation kindles (not the touch one) and haven't had any problems so far.

screen looks great and it is comfortable to hold. battery lasts forever. it gets two solid thumbs up from me if that makes a difference.

• Members

I have nook. not the color one. e-ink is nicer to reader then the ipad, or kindle fire or nook color.

selection of books isn't bad. you can get any old classic for free. you can download books from google books and read.them on the nook. battery last days. sd card. plays mp3s. :idk:

• Members

i have a kindle touch w/ 3g. it's great, serves its purpose, plus there are thousands of books in the public domain. i probably should have just purchased the cheapest kindle, all the extra features are useless to me.

• Members

I've got a kindle and an ipad....but I read actual books 95% of the time. I've got a particular marking system and a habit of writing notes in the margins to express ideas as I read, and simply highlighting text in a kindle simply isn't good enough.

• Members

Nook. The e-ink touch one. It's got the benefits of a touch (duh) but it's e-ink so it's really easy on the eyes.

I can't stand reading for long periods from an ipad/kindle fire/nookcolor screen.

I love it...I can highlight and make notes...and it organizes them on a tabbed page by date/page #.

I used to write lots of notes in margins and on post-its that I'd stick inside the pages, so you can imagine what a mess that looked like before.

The battery lasts forever and you can get just about any book you want if you know where to look ;)

• Members

I have Kindle 3 Keyboard w. Wifi

I've been so happy about this since I got it over a year ago. I use it mostly when travelling - it's perfect for that. Battery lasts for a month and it charges very quickly. The mobi format does not really restrict you in any way if you just have Calibre installed. Calibre is the iTunes of ebooks, except it's open source and in no way {censored}ty. It converts almost all formats to fit the kindle, it allows for editing of tags, so the books are nice and organized on the kindle interface. Combine Calibre wiht gutenberg.org and a few other websites and you have a great collection on your kindle and a backed up library on your hands.

I wouldn't swap it for any other reader.

I enjoy real books, though and read them at home sometimes, but whenever I take a train, plane or bus the kindle is with me.

• Members

I thought a smartphone or tablet would do for reading on my travels, but before I considered bying one, I saw my friends kindle and the amazing e-ink screen. If you haven't seen the screen in real life then it might be harder to see the advantage of an carrying around an e-book reader. The screen looks like a real book, except much sharper and there's no background light, so it's great for reading for many hours at a time. It's absolutely nothing like a computer, tablet or smartphone screen. If I have to read long wikipedia or online newspaper/magazine articles, I use the chrome extension to send the website to my kindle and read it on that.

• Members

Kindle Fire. I find I don't mind reading books on the backlight screen, after having been convinced before that it would probably suck. There really isn't any objective proof that e-Ink is really any easier to read than a backlit screen, and I like not having to have a light on to read and just adjust the brightness low.

The only huge drawback is that I like to read at night as a way to wind down before bed, and staring at a glowing screen right before going to bed is a no-no if you have trouble falling asleep.

That said, if you want something that can double as a tablet for internet browsing and such the Kindle Fire sucks at that (browser isn't great, highlighting-copy-paste is a {censored}ing joke, touch screen is ridiculously inaccurate) so it's not really worth the extra money. I think I'd rather have the newest Nook Color, or just a bigger tablet computer rather than an e-reader/mini-tablet

• Members

I have to say, if you sit at computer all day for work or other reasons, reading on a kindle is a big relief for your eyes, especially when you're tired. But if a tablet works for you then you should not be forced into anything else! Personally, I wouldn't be able to ignore the browser and email notifications that comes with reading on a tablet.

• Members

You say there is no proof, but you give one, i.e. glowing screen and sleeping.

Kindle Fire. I find I don't mind reading books on the backlight screen, after having been convinced before that it would probably suck. There really isn't any objective proof that e-Ink is really any easier to read than a backlit screen, and I like not having to have a light on to read and just adjust the brightness low.

The only huge drawback is that I like to read at night as a way to wind down before bed, and staring at a glowing screen right before going to bed is a no-no if you have trouble falling asleep.

That said, if you want something that can double as a tablet for internet browsing and such the Kindle Fire sucks at that (browser isn't great, highlighting-copy-paste is a {censored}ing joke, touch screen is ridiculously inaccurate) so it's not really worth the extra money. I think I'd rather have the newest Nook Color, or just a bigger tablet computer rather than an e-reader/mini-tablet

Archived