Hiwatt UK

• Members

I'm with you there, the
at 22 watts seems like it might be a good kit to try out.

Amazing sounding amp, had one loaded with KT-66s and one day I will have another.

As far as vintage ones being better I'd imagine so but more importantly I'm wondering whos actually making the Hiwatts these days, is it still Music Go Round or whatever?

• Members

i heard their current models are not nearly as good as the vintage ones. is there any truth to that?

Here's my opinion on it--the new ones definitely had some quality control issues in the past. i know of several horror stories/bad experiences with the new hiwatts, but this was a few years ago. they may have corrected this, i honestly don't know. in the past whenever i've recommended a new production, i've always recommended Reeves. i still think vintage is the way to go given that you can probably get one for the same price as a new one.

Obviously the old ones used better components, like mustard caps, real partridge transformers, etc. And from what i've seen, the vintage ones were held to a much higher standard of quality control.

tone-wise, from what i've heard with my own ears--the new ones are pretty close. there are slight differences i noticed--like the vintage ones seem to be a little softer/cummier. but tone-wise, i wouldn't say the new ones are drastically different.

anyhow, i don't think they're bad amps. to be honest, the fact that Hiwatt UK is owned by the {censored}ing crooks at Musicground doesn't help their reputation. between that and the early (maybe still present) quality control issues, i think this is why many hardcore hiwatters don't have a high opinion of the new ones.

• Members

Completely forgot to mention that VHR is doing finished amps now--not just kits. They are top notch as well, i know these guys personally. Mark Huss is perhaps the foremost hiwatt tech expert out there.

Yeah I've been eyeing those cabs, have you heard one in person Bob?

• Members

Yeah I've been eyeing those cabs, have you heard one in person Bob?

i haven't--i missed the hiwatt convention the last 2 years. maybe i'll go this year. i have to imagine they sound great though--i believe they modelled the speakers on the stamped frame Fanes that there was a consensus #1 when we did an extensive speaker shootout. they beat out everything, including some cast frame Fanes (the ones that are the "sought after" ones). if the Hi-tones sound anything like those Fanes, i bet it'd be a ridiculously good setup.

• Members

You a bass player?

Honestly a 200 is kind of overkill for guitar. Loudest cleans ever though. We did a pedal shoot out using a 201 and it was pretty insane.

I do slappa da bass as well and I love loud cleans on guitar but yeah, a 201 is just a fantasize moment. I don't play bass enough to justify it and my 100 is plenty loud already for guitar.

• Members

I do slappa da bass as well and I love loud cleans on guitar but yeah, a 201 is just a fantasize moment. I don't play bass enough to justify it and my 100 is plenty loud already for guitar.

i've yet to play a 405. i guess they had one at last year's convention. i'm guessing it's more WMD than amplifier at that point.

Archived