DOD 250 Yellow vs Grey vs FX50 vs FX50B vs clone

chrisjnyc

• Members

All your choices sound different. The original grey had an LM741 and can get fuzz-esque in the higher gain regions. The Yellow reissue uses a 4558 and is wonderfully gritty and bright, awesome for a dark wooly overdriven amp. The FX-50 had either TL022CP's or 1458's. For the FX-50 you want the version that had the 1458's.

p.s. The above holds true in a general sense but there are other variations in all the generations, including what type of clipping diodes and IC's were used as well as some major component value differences. With a circuit this simple small changes make a big difference.

I'd say get all three, they are going for pretty cheap these days (except for the grey's).

• Members

I'd have to say the biggest difference between the Grey and the Yellow, is that the grey feels a little 'looser' but has a bit better bass response. The Yellow is a tad tighter with a bit less definition to the bass. Not by a huge margin either, if you like the Grey, you're pretty much going to like the yellow and vice versa.

Can't say anything about the FX series.

A clone wouldn't be a bad way to go, but I'm vain and I love that yellow box and those awesome knobs.

• Members

All your choices sound different. The original grey had an LM741 and can get fuzz-esque in the higher gain regions. The Yellow reissue uses a 4558 and is wonderfully gritty and bright, awesome for a dark wooly overdriven amp. The FX-50 had either TL022CP's or 1458's. For the FX-50 you want the version that had the 1458's.

p.s. The above holds true in a general sense but there are other variations in all the generations, including what type of clipping diodes and IC's were used as well as some major component value differences. With a circuit this simple small changes make a big difference.

I'd say get all three, they are going for pretty cheap these days (except for the grey's).

great to have you here.

I have a 1981 Yellow OD250, a FX-50 and a FX50-B, it is cool to have them all for different apps.

what's the deal with the 50B, I really like the FX-50

• Members

IIRC (forgive me it has been quite a while) the FX50 and the FX-50B are identical. I think we respun the PCB's for the "B's" in order to conform to a new manufacturing process, but the circuit is the same. For most of the FX series the "B" versions are identical.

• Members

IIRC (forgive me it has been quite a while) the FX50 and the FX-50B are identical. I think we respun the PCB's for the "B's" in order to conform to a new manufacturing process, but the circuit is the same. For most of the FX series the "B" versions are identical.

mine sound different, it's been a long time since I've A/B'd them but I'll do it again to see what's up. maybe I have a really old FX-50 with the different chip than the FX-50B.

• Members

mine sound different, it's been a long time since I've A/B'd them but I'll do it again to see what's up.

If you have a later FX-50 then the only differences would be parts tolerance and age (the IC's would be 1458's). If you have an early FX50 and a later FX-50B then they would have different IC's since the IC were changed during the FX-50's lifecycle. TL022CP's sound slightly different from 1458's.

• Members

If you have a later FX-50 then the only differences would be parts tolerance and age (the IC's would be 1458's). If you have an early FX50 and a later FX-50B then they would have different IC's since the IC were changed during the FX-50's lifecycle. TL022CP's sound slightly different from 1458's.

so the oldest and most desirable is the TL022CP, or do I have that backwards, and what's the difference in tone?

• Members

Not in my book, the 1458 sounds better to me. The 1458 sounds closer to an LM741 (it is electrically the same thing as an LM741, just twinned) and therefore closer to a vintage 250.

nice, I'll see what's in mine. do you know if it's possible to mod a FX-25B so that I can use an expression pedal to control the sensitivity? would it be as simple as replacing the pot with a TRS input jack? if DOD made the pedal stock that way it would be pretty versatile.

• Members

nice, I'll see what's in mine. do you know if it's possible to mod a FX-25B so that I can use an expression pedal to control the sensitivity? would it be as simple as replacing the pot with a TRS input jack? if DOD made the pedal stock that way it would be pretty versatile.

I have a buddy that did this with his, I've never tried it though. I can't remember if he just wired a jack to the pot or replaced the whole thing. I'll e-mail him and ask what he did.

Archived