Anyone use a Boss XT-2 Xtortion?

recovery

• Members

I always enjoy trying cheap-ish and unpopular distortions/fuzzes when I have a chance. Can anyone recommend this pedal?

My style of music is shoegazey / droney / pysch. Thanks!

yeah, this topic seems to come up a couple of times a year, and most people are like "it sucks" or "well it's really nasty sounding but can be good if you want that sound". My impressions of it have been very different. I had one briefly that I got in a trade and I wasn't really looking for another distortion pedal, but I wanted to try it out. I thought it sounded great. It could get really heavy when you maxed out the "low eq" (I forget which was which) control and it could do absolutely singing leads with the "high eq" control maxed out. The cool thing was, it never got shrill or muddy either way. The distortion was very full sounding. That's why I get confused when I read people talking about how nasty it sounds. I didn't get that impression at all. But, I've heard it so much, I have begun to wonder whether mine had been modded at some point. Anyway, I sold it, because while it sounded really good, I thought it had more of a 90s grunge or punk sound to it, and I only ever really play shogazey stuff, which it didn't seem ideally suited to. From the music styles you've listed, it looks like you play similar stuff, so the XT-2 might not be that useful to you either, but I'd definitely recommend trying it out.

• Members

Good info. Thanks!

yeah, this topic seems to come up a couple of times a year, and most people are like "it sucks" or "well it's really nasty sounding but can be good if you want that sound". My impressions of it have been very different. I had one briefly that I got in a trade and I wasn't really looking for another distortion pedal, but I wanted to try it out. I thought it sounded great. It could get really heavy when you maxed out the "low eq" (I forget which was which) control and it could do absolutely singing leads with the "high eq" control maxed out. The cool thing was, it never got shrill or muddy either way. The distortion was very full sounding. That's why I get confused when I read people talking about how nasty it sounds. I didn't get that impression at all. But, I've heard it so much, I have begun to wonder whether mine had been modded at some point. Anyway, I sold it, because while it sounded really good, I thought it had more of a 90s grunge or punk sound to it, and I only ever really play shogazey stuff, which it didn't seem ideally suited to. From the music styles you've listed, it looks like you play similar stuff, so the XT-2 might not be that useful to you either, but I'd definitely recommend trying it out.

Archived