How does it feel to be part of such a crappy generation?

RoboPimp

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In all honesty, it sucks.

I turn 32 this year. Just finished my undergrad degree last year (THAT was mostly my fault - parents said "get a job" out of high school, I did, and dicked around for the next several years). Now I'm saddled with debt in a horrific economy with little retirement prospects and a university degree that has lead me nowhere. I make 30k a year, have 60k in debt, can't find a better job than the one that I was working while I was in school, and live paycheck-to-paycheck with no future prospects in sight.

I look around me, and all I see is the same thing. College graduates excited to get 30-40k a year jobs, or to hold those jobs after graduation. People with Masters degrees living with their parents. NO ONE paying their student loans, because they can't even pay rent.

My generation is buried under a mountain of debt and economic debris, and we are beaten down and complacent about it. We just shrug our shoulders, go back to our jobs pouring lattes and answering phones, and can't imagine anything getting any better.

Our economic situation is terrifying. The US educational system is dying, and in need of a serious revision. Job prospects minimal, morale has flat-lined, and there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it. So we don't. We just wither and blister and give you Skrillex and Nickelback.

At least I don't live with my parents.

• Members

as has been said, that was the Boomer's parents (the Depression/WWII generation). and yes, they were.

Indeed. My grandfather was part of the greatest generation. Had a work ethic unlike anything I had ever seen - worked 15 hours a day in his store and still helped his brother on their farm until they were in their mid-late 60s. Doubtful we will ever see another generation like that in America.

• Members

Some people in this generation are trying to improve things.

111004103034-rushkoff-occupy-wall-street

yep, people that actually have jobs used to be able to use that road to get to work. those police officers used to not be baby sitters. things are changing but were not to the point where one would be able to say for the better or worse as a result of their actions.

• Members

its funny how people hate on {censored}, theres too many haters in this generation, a bunch of dick heads who love to see others fail, people who voice their retarded opinions hidden behind a {censored}ing computer screen, people who can't hold an attention span, people who are too lazy to stand up for what is right. Fat {censored}s, dumb {censored}s and people with no moral compass.

And the worse part, is that I see myself becoming that type of person more and more everyday.

:)

• Members

what generation is it now ? I'm a gen x. {censored}ing lame generatiom if you ask me. also this generation garbage is this.a first world thing? does a guy in south sudan have the same out look on life becuase we were born in the same year?

• Members

I love it personally, as I'm what should be considered a normal person, but compared to everybody else, I'm freaking awesome.

Keep building Walmarts and getting preggers in high school. We need to make this gap even bigger.

WV awesome is just average in a normal state.

• Members

This generation will be more alienated from its previous generation than probably any other generation in history... that much I hypothesize.

The most obvious indicator is in education and technology. A huge shift has occured where there is less expectation for our youth to practice memorization and fundamentals, assuming that technology will make those cognitive processes obsolete. Critical thinking and problem-solving are the targets now. Computer algorithms like search queries still haven't quite caught up to the human capacity for decision-making based on prior knowledge, so it sEems reasonable that these are the skills we should focus on.

But I can't help the feeling that something is going awry with this. It's sort of the learning to crawl dilemma I suppose. In one regard, I see Baby Boomers everyday who don't have the confidence or skill-set to navigate through an application menu, or make basic connections between random concepts. They often have a very linear cognitive approach, like the need to read manuals from page 1 to page 2, or write down flow chart directions, etc. It seems like the latest generation should have an advantage in that arena. Or will they?

I'm just grateful to be from the generation that was born before the personal computer, young enough to acquire the skillsets and fundies, and will probably live to see AI. A sense of perspective is one of the great advantages of my gen.

Archived