Building myself a Jagumaster:)

thom

• Members

By building I mean: Assembling. Still in the proces of shopping for parts, all I -almost- have is a body. A nice one btw, old swamp ash.

The goal: 25.5 scale jaguar. Cosmeticly a true jag, only with a mustang bridge. Finish: Probably dark brown stain of some sort, still have a lot of reading and learning to do on finishing.

Anyone who's got a tip to find affordable jag parts and a jazzmaster neck: Help me out please. Or if you know how to stain a body so it looks somewhat like the Elvis Costello sig Fender: Talk to me.

:wave:

• Members

I've got two words for you..

Mastery Bridge..

I've got two words for you: Tight budget:(

The whole project will take ages to finish though, so at the end of the ride I'll see if I still have a good reason to be stinchy:s

I know the mastery bridge is probably the best way to go, but I've always been fine with mustang bridges in my jags and jazzmasters, and they're fairly cheap, and -though not that important- look authentic or whatever.

• Members

By building I mean: Assembling. Still in the proces of shopping for parts, all I -almost- have is a body. A nice one btw, kinda old swamp ash.

The goal: 25.5 scale jaguar. Cosmeticly a true jag, only with a mustang bridge. Finish: Probably dark brown stain of some sort, still have a lot of reading and learning to do on finishing.

Anyone who's got a tip to find afforable jag parts and a jazzmaster neck: Help me out please. Or if you know how to stain a body so it looks somewhat like the Elvis Costello sig Fender: Talk to me.

:wave:

Where are you getting the body from?

• Members

guitarpartsresource is great for *some* things impo, not everything. Not the right place to look for a neck apparantly.

I'm buying an unfinished jaguar body from someone at the offsetguitars forum. Moved bridge, no conversion neck.

• Members

Cool, so you're getting one of Andrew's bodies then? That should make things a lot easier, rather than trying to move the bridge yourself.

As for a good place to find an inexpensive Jazzmaster neck, you could look for a Squire Strat neck with the large CBS-style headstock :idk:

Also, Angela's Instruments is a pretty good place for parts: http://angela.com/

• Members

DSCN3571.jpg
No keyboard 4me rt now =C you CAN call if you want i'll msg you my number

Dang, that's exactly the look I'd want to go for, including those knobs. Absolutely stunning axe, I'd really want to know how you did that. I wasn't sure about which guard, but now it's clear it HAS to be tortoise.

Calling probably isn't a good idea for either of us...I'm in Europe:s

• Members

Cool, so you're getting one of Andrew's bodies then? That should make things a lot easier, rather than trying to move the bridge yourself.

As for a good place to find an inexpensive Jazzmaster neck, you could look for a Squire Strat neck with the large CBS-style headstock
:idk:

Also, Angela's Instruments is a pretty good place for parts:
http://angela.com/

Yep, Andrew's Jazzmaster'd jag body is by far the best way to start impo. I get to finish it the way I want, and there'll be no cosmetic payoffs like unusable frets or unused bridge slots. Plus most importantly I guess: The bridge pickup will be at the right position relative to the bridge:)

The squier neck is a good idea actually, thanks for the tip. Angela's seems to have decent catalogue, also no necks though.

Anyone have any experience with Mighty Mite? Cheapish compared to anything else I could find. Is there maybe a good reason for that?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/mighty-mite-mm2934-stratocaster-replacement-neck-with-rosewood-fingerboard-and-large-headstock/585047000000000

Not sure about the 22 frets, but I think I'd actually prefer the medium frets over vintage style frets...

• Members

Yep, Andrew's Jazzmaster'd jag body is by far the best way to start impo. I get to finish is the way I want, and there'll be no cosmetic payoffs like unusable frets or unused bridge slots. Plus most importantly I guess: The bridge pickup will be at the right position relative to the bridge:)

That's pretty cool! :thu:

• Members

Little update: I followed the squier advice, and it turns out there's at least one affinity strat that costs less than a warmoth neck:)

I'm not jumping it quite yet though, I'm not sure how I feel about matching the high grade body and eventually some top notch pickups, with a cheap neck from a beginner's guitar:idk:

If this is gonna be my dream axe, I don't want to skimp on one of it's vital parts. Budget-whise I don't want to end up spending as much as what a used AV reissue would cost me though...

• Members

Little update: I followed the squier advice, and it turns out there's at least one affinity strat that costs less than a warmoth neck:)

I'm not jumping it quite yet though, I'm not sure how I feel about matching the high grade body and eventually some top notch pickups, with a cheap neck from a beginner's guitar:idk:

If this is gonna be my dream axe, I don't want to skimp on one of it's vital parts. Budget-whise I don't want to end up spending as much as what a used AV reissue would cost me though...

Well, you could buy an unfinished neck (from USACG, Warmoth, Musikraft, etc...) and finish it yourself. That would get you the higher quality that you're looking for, and still save you some cash.

• Members

Latest development, just tell me when it starts to get boring: Since mighty might necks seem to get mixed reviews, to say the least: Unless I find a cheaper/used neck any time soon, I decided to spend a little extra and just get an unfinished Allparts big headstock strat neck. 21 vintage style frets, 7.25" radius...175Euro.

Archived