Which Overdrive for a Matchelss DC / Vox EL84 amp?

• Members

Well first of all I'd say the type of output tubes doesn't have a lot to do with what pedals work well with an amp - it's mostly about the voicing and headroom of the preamp.

Vox style amps don't have loads of bass or very much high treble and have something of a midrangey quality, so typical overdrives like tubescreamers sometimes sound a bit honky with them. That said they can be just the ticket, it depends what you want.

The Rat and Hotcake are popular overdrives with vox amps. I also enjoyed my OCD, OD-3 and SD-1.

• Members

Well first of all I'd say the type of output tubes doesn't have a lot to do with what pedals work well with an amp - it's mostly about the voicing and headroom of the preamp.

output tubes have at least as much influence over the "voicing" as the preamp IMO

• Members

for example, you just described the typical EL84 amp sound

There are for example Mesa el84 amps that sound bugger all like Voxes.

Also, when I plugged my ac30 into a 4x12 it had plenty of bass. When I ran the high gain channel of my ac50 into the effects return of my ac30 it sounded a lot more like an ac50 than an AC30.

I'm not saying power tubes don't make a difference because they obviously do, I'm just saying that say if an amp doesn't take some pedals well it's probably not because it used EL84s instead of 6l6s.

• Members

:idk:
I have never really had an amp that didn't "take" pedals - I think thats usually more operator error than anything else

Depends on what you're looking for. I love overdriven AC30 sounds, but if you want to go from that being your rhythm sound to a clear and loud big muff solo that's not gonna happen because of the limitations of the amp. Maybe it's operator error, maybe you need to find a compromise of one or both sounds, or maybe you need a different amp or pedal.

Likewise, a clean ac30 with a tubescreamer isn't that appealing to me, though once it's turned up the combo works better.

• Members

Depends on what you're looking for. I love overdriven AC30 sounds, but if you want to go from that being your rhythm sound to a clear and loud big muff solo that's not gonna happen because of the limitations of the amp.

yeah I wouldnt consider that an issue where the amp doesn't "take" the pedal well and pretty much would apply to any single channel amp

• Members

SD-1 = tubescreamer
:lol:

now it all makes sense!

Very true! I did say "sometimes sound a bit honky with them. That said they can be just the ticket, it depends what you want." And for what it's worth, I found the TS-9 to be more middy than the SD-1 which sounds like it's got a bit more treble. At the moment I'm using a sparkle drive which I really love.

Archived