At what point can you call yourself a musician?

Naterel

So everyone can claim to be a photographer? I think most people own a camera and take photos.

by your logic I am a Photographer, a Painter, a Musician, a Graphic Artist, a Writer, an Electronics engineer, a Sculptor, a Mechanic .... and so on.

...and I can assure you i'm not, I think that's a very delusional way of looking at yourself.

I taken many photos that have been published; both in articles here on HC as well as in other publications. I even took some photography classes in school, did event and yearbook photography, etc. I enjoy photography, but I am far from a pro photographer. My friend Ken? He's a pro - heck, he's world-class. Compared to what he does, I'd be embarrassed to call myself a photographer, but technically, I suppose I am - at least part-time. ;)

BTW, if you want to see some great photography, check out Ken's site:

http://www.kenleephotography.com/

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I taken many photos that have been published; both in articles here on HC as well as in other publications. I even took some photography classes in school, did event and yearbook photography, etc. I enjoy photography, but I am far from a pro photographer. My friend Ken? He's a pro - heck, he's world-class. Compared to what he does, I'd be embarrassed to call myself a photographer, but technically, I suppose I am - at least part-time.
;)

BTW, if you want to see some great photography, check out Ken's site:

http://www.kenleephotography.com/

Spamming. Temp ban at least.

• Members

So everyone can claim to be a photographer? I think most people own a camera and take photos.

by your logic I am a Photographer, a Painter, a Musician, a Graphic Artist, a Writer, an Electronics engineer, a Sculptor, a Mechanic .... and so on.

...and I can assure you i'm not,
I think
that's a very delusional way of looking at yourself.

there you go "I think". thats it, its whatever you think. you don't think your an artist, cool. and I think you are these things: Photographer, a Painter, a Musician, a Graphic Artist, a Writer, an Electronics engineer, a Sculptor, a Mechanic. They difference is that you aren't good at those thing. I wouldn't hire you to make me a sculptor because you lack any real body of work thats respectable, BUT just because your not good doesn't mean your not. I think everyone is a musician, well not a 100% of the human race, but most of them. If you played the recorder in kindergarden your a musician, maybe not a good one that will have any kind of following. There is a pretty acceptable definition of musician. Most of the debate here is are you a good musician. I'm a photographer, I take pictures, I'm not a good one, and don't do anything thats interesting or pleasant or of note. So, is every chump that picked up a camera.

Oh wait. Nevermind. You're not selling Ken's photography. ; )

Nope - I'm just a big fan of him and his work. I do not work for Ken, nor do I have any financial interest in his business outside of wanting to see a friend, who I think does work that warrants it, do well. :)

• Members

You don't have to be an entertainer to be a musician.

Getting paid (paying your rent & food) gives you the distinction to use the title "professional"

I'd say a musician is someone who uses music to express something.

Archived