OT: What is your practice routine?

boytbpc

• Members

I've always been intrigued by this and might finally give it a shot. Are you able to do the full hour? I'm especially interested if it helps with fretboard visualization.

Not at the full time yet. I'm about halfway. I took some breaks from it a few times. It takes a bit of time to get those exercises down to a point where you can keep up cleanly. If you're looking to be taught this DVD isn't for you. If you want stamina, and strength conditioning I highly recommend it.

• Members

Practice on my own at least 1 hour every other day. Jam with 3 other friends 2-3 times a week for about 2-3 hours just covering songs or actually trying to write some stuff. Recently bought a cheap drum set so I have Sundays set apart for that.

• Members

I practice finger exercises, as much as possible. its helped a lot. I keep meaning to start scale work, but I haven't yet. the instrument I was most proficient in playing was the trumpet, I practiced scales 15 minutes everyday. then 15 minutes of muscle building stuff, holding notes, lip excercises. once I fell out of routine I sucked , so just keep at it. finger muscle, scales, music theroy, song writting exercises. I wisj I was more vigiant with practing guitar, but I'm not, hence my {censored} playing.

• Members

It takes a bit of time to get those exercises down to a point where you can keep If you're looking to be taught this DVD isn't for you. If you want stamina, and strength conditioning I highly recommend it.

Gotcha, thanks!

FWIW the entire thing is on YouTube now.

• Members

I don't "practice" anymore. I got the scales under my fingertips when I was first starting out, by playing them slowly with a metronome to get the sound connected to the motion. These days, I rarely touch the guitar at home unless I'm writing something. And I gig enough that the songs stay in my ear.

Anyway, I listen a lot more than I play. Once you have the sounds under your fingertips, it's all a matter of hearing. If you can hear it well enough in your mind that you can sing it, then you can play it on the guitar. As long as you don't let thinking get in the way of those subconscious connections.

I can get behind this.

Archived