Which Wampler would you pick and why

• Members

I use the Black '65 for my always on/low gain sound. I just tried the 'Crush The Button' and I'm not all that fond of it, and I'm hoping my Tweed '57 will give me a convincing higher gain sound suited to my needs. On your list I've only tried Crush The Button, so, I'd go for the Ecstacy in this case as the clips sound cool.

• Members

I've found a couple Crush the Button vids that make me think that really isn't the one. One had great tone for single note runs but the backing track was nowhere in sync or he was not in tune.

I found this review of the Ecstacy/Euphoria and said to myself "wOw"

I have yet to find one of the Plexi-Drive or Pinnacle that gives me a good idea of how it sounds for both chording and soloing.

• Members

didn't they discontinue the super-plex, or whichever one was the higher gain marshall in a box pedal? it's a shame 'cause that's the most intriguing one to me. i like a lot of gain available on a dirt pedal usually and i love the marshall sounds.

It has 3 gain settings, the lowest of which is probably great if you want to use the SP as a boost. It's been referred to as "Vai in a box" and I find that a very fair assessment.

I really liked the boost on the SLO especially since it worked independent of the SLO side. Does anyone know if the Pinnacle Plus/Deluxe works in a similar fashion?

• Members

I have heard from more than a couple people the Paisley plays great with single coils but not so favorable with humbuckers.

They sound great with the two of my guitars that have humbuckers, an Epi Dot with 57 Classics and a Fender FSR Blacktop Tele with John Suhr SSV's. Both sets are classically wound and neither is considered high output. They might sound a bit muddy with high output buckers, but that's an issue with all high output buckers.

• Members

I guess that really wouldn't be an issue since it won't be my only drive pedal. I also have the aforementioned Super Plextortion (with a mid control instead of a bright switch) that will be remaining, and a Philosopher's Tone (Germanium Mod) that I leave the dirt/grit at about 75%.

Keep the thoughts and the votes coming!

• Members

I guess that really wouldn't be an issue since it won't be my only drive pedal. I also have the aforementioned Super Plextortion (with a mid control instead of a bright switch) that will be remaining, and a Philosopher's Tone (Germanium Mod) that I leave the dirt/grit at about 75%.

Keep the thoughts and the votes coming!

What I like about the Paisley is that it has both a bright toggle and a mids toggle. Very versatile and quite a bit of gain.

PaisleyDrive_1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

If you haven't picked one yet, I like the Triple Wreck, which is one of the Amp in a Box models. (Mesa Rectifier) The Pinnacle is nice, but the gain switch, (footswitch on mine) adds way too much volume on many gain settings, so even though it has 2 footswitches it is difficult for me to use it as 2 pedals. The Wreck doesn't do that as much, so I can use it as a disortion on one side, and fuzz on the other. (contour set to creamy instead of crunchy) Contour is bypassed when the boost side is off, so the distortion reverts to crunchy. Burgermann666 in Australia demos them very well. The Euphoria, Black 65 and Hot Wired are less gainy, less distortion, with a clean bite in more in the overdrive realm. They remind me more of my KOT version 4. Great pedals, but probably not the high gain you're looking for unless you want transparency and less distortion with your gain.

• Members

I just spent 20 minutes listening to demos of all 4 and they are all great pedals. The Euphoria may be capable of mid gain tones, but that's not its sweet spot. I think you'd be happier with any of the other 3 but the Crush and the Pinnacle are bad ass...

:thu:

Archived