Fender cleans on the cheap?

t-rey

• Members

I'm thinking about picking up a cheap, lowish wattage amp head for some Fender cleans.

The Superchamp X2 head has caught my eye, and it seems like they are pretty well liked. The other option would be a VHT Special 6 Ultra, but I doubt it would have much headroom with humbuckers, even at low volumes.

Anything else I should be looking at?

• Members

I have the VHT Special 6 Ultra combo amp. It stays clean on the clean channel, even when dimed with humbuckers. The Ultra channel (dirty), gets dirty (but I prefer a pedal dirt on the clean channel).

I barely ever use the dirt channel, but with the watts, gain and hi/lo power controls I can get a pretty good range of dirt tones out of if the 'clean' side.

• Members

Exactly what I was hoping for. I am assuming that it takes pedals well? Especially fuzz.

Oh yes, very well. I've tried a Pharaoh, Mastotron, FZ-2, and Tone Reaper and all sounded really sweet, nice and clear even at a low volume. The only thing I would recommend is swapping out the speaker if you get a combo or add a 1x12 cab for the X2 head, maybe change the tubes at some point too. But my stock Super Champ still does wonders for me.

• Members

Dammit.

I did a bit of googling and ebaying - looks like you can get them for pretty good prices. But probably more than I want to spend right now. Of course...I could just save up a bit more cash.

Archived