Beat Kangz of Comedy - epic fail?

xmlguy

• Members

The initial trash talk was a bit unappealing, but a change in PR as shown in these recent posts can easily amend that.

I'm not so sure about that ... One could argue that P.R. FIASCO merely exposed bad decision-making that could be systemic ... Time will tell ...

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even if it comes with marketing that makes the Disney Channel look sophisticated ...

:lol:

beavis.gif

I was 14 when these guys were new. What I wanted was a Macintosh Quadra to make music on. That's just me.

If someone had come out with a Beavis & Butthead computer....I would have just laughed.

Even though I taped the entire Moron-A-Thon.

• Members

what I would like to know is why is the PR a fiasco when it's only a few white guys who would have been put off no matter what the PR was are the only ones who have ever complained? everyone else either thought the marketing was funny/ silly but the product looked promising- I have only seen bad reactions to the PR here and few other places where older whiter musicians hang out- everywhere else all the criticism was doubts about the features and pricing

• Members

If you want to make the criticism here a "black vs white" thing, then lets look at it from that angle for a sec....

A) I can assure you that after seeing the hilariously bad YouTube videos, I decided to share them with some coworkers and musicians who happened to be around at the time, and the consensus was chuckling and the adjective "unprofessional". Same goes for sharing with a friend who is a DJ via the net.

2) "Jeremiah Wright of beat Machines" - Tha Beat Kangz

iii) Be careful what you WISH for

On top of that, what are you suggesting? That just because some of us are white means we should shut the f*** up? Think about what that implies. The black man just can't get a break can he? Us white-bread cracker a**es are to blame for this?

Lastly, what do you have a "black-o-meter" reading for this forum and its members? I don't think it really matters much who the membership are. Each one is a potential customer, and I said before.....Narrow marketing -> Narrower prime prospect -> Narrowest sales.

• Members

If you want to make the criticism here a "black vs white" thing, then lets look at it from that angle for a sec....

...Us white-bread cracker a**es are to blame for this?

this has been a racial issue here since day one and I have always said so [check the posts]- I think I commented about the differences in reaction here at KSS with the recent Waldorf campaign- who hyped vaporware- and used unprofessional and culturally insensitive PR [naming synths after villains from the sexist and culturally stereotyping James Bond franchise] yet none of you ever have said anything bad about Waldorf- I can only imagine most of you are rarely in the company women- just mentioning James Bond to any of the women I know ignites a political tirade- tell a woman that Waldorf is naming synths after James Bond characters and they will start talking boycott and a letter-writing campaign

and everyone here who says the nature of BK's PR was 'unprofessional' is openly ignorant of the cultural forms commonly used in Dirty South Hip Hop- making it perfectly professional and legitimate considering the nature of the product- essentially speaking the nomenclature of their market- that is good marketing 101

• Members
:lol:

Psyhcic are we? Dude, dooooooooo yourself a favor....Don't embarass yourself.

it is you who are making yourself look like an insensitive Fox News watching prick- the reaction of a moral and intelligent person to the reasons they are offending is usually APOLOGY- not argument or insult- if you worked for me I would send you to mandatory Diversity Training - I've done that to some of my employees for much less

• Members

Fox News? Are you serious? Diversity training? Sigh......:facepalm:

At this point I'll remind you that you don't know who you are talking to, what I do for a living, who I work for, who my friends are, and what I have done with my life. So I will just caution you that although it's clearly easy for you to judge wrongly in this circumstance, I don't recommend you continue on that tach.

Furthermore....What have I said about you, who you are and what you do to warrant a personal attack? I mean "Fox News"? That's fighting words.

• Members
Fox News? Are you serious? Diversity training? Sigh......
:facepalm:

At this point I'll remind you that you don't know who you are talking to,

all I know is that you fail to see your insensitivity and think that a perfectly reasonable front like "the Jeremiah Wright of ..." is unprofessional for a product by and for musicians in Dirty South Hip Hop- that tells me you re-contextualize abrasive Ebonics into the vanilla vernacular and judge it by those standards instead of abiding cultural differences-

I probably dislike that culture more than you- I am into academic/technical/gay cultural expression and my idea of good hip hop is Massive Attack- and god knows BK didn't do it particularly well- but I respect their use of abrasive and intimidating terminology and recognize it's aptness for street music- that is the difference

• Members

Hi R.L.,

Can you speak a bit about the playback engine? Is it entirely flash-based or is there RAM in there as well? Is the RAM used only as a buffer for the flash? Is there a polyphony count yet?

Thanks.

Hey man, I appreciate the question.

1. At this time, we probably shouldn't say too much about how we manage buffering between internal memory locations. I can say that this process is proprietary and the user will benefit from new optimization processes as well as more capable hardware than is seen in the industry standards.

2. As you might have read earlier, we upgraded our processor from the one used in the prototype on the NAMM videos. So, there's just a bit more benchmarking to do. Polyphony count is one of many specs that we will have locked down for NAMM.

Peace.

R.L. Mitchell

Vice President

Beat Kangz Electronics

• Members

all I know is that you fail to see your insensitivity and think that a perfectly reasonable front like "the Jeremiah Wright of ..." is unprofessional for a product by and for musicians in Dirty South Hip Hop- that tells me you re-contextualize abrasive Ebonics into the vanilla vernacular and judge it by those standards instead of abiding cultural differences-

I probably dislike that culture more than you- I am into academic/technical/gay cultural expression and my idea of good hip hop is Massive Attack- and god knows BK didn't do it particularly well- but I respect their use of abrasive and intimidating terminology and recognize it's aptness for street music- that is the difference

Well I still maintain regardless of what your argument is about me......being insensitive and seeing with "vanilla" colored glasses.....That the marketing IS unprofessional. It is intellectually unchallenging in any respect, especially for a supposedly sophisticated and well engineered product that is meant to provide a highly technical means of artistic expression for the potential customer, who ever the Beat Kangz want them to be. So it's culturally unchallenging on top of that if they are just trying to appeal to the "Dirty South" masses.

Then you say comparing the product to a controversial figure who purports to speak on behalf of all black Americans is justifiable for a new company?

Maybe I just don't get it. Maybe I need diversity training. I'll ask around the workplace about that and refer them to this thread. See what they think.

I bet I'll get some laughs and some reminders that I should be working instead of listening to people who know the least about me and taking their bullsh*t to heart.

• Members

I am familiar with hip hop culture, I've worked with a few hip hop guys and even played live with them. I live in Houston which has a large hip hop scene. I realize the beat kangz may be trying to appeal hip hop culture (you gotta have a big ego) but they are alienating potential customers in the process, which is unprofessional when you're running a business.

Most people know that the Akai MPC=Hip Hop, yet Akai never had to run campaigns appealing to solely hip hop. As a result they have a wider range of customers.

And what makes you think everyone on this forum is a conservative old white dude? {censored} man we are just here to talk about music and synths. Open your eyes and see the bigger picture instead of inciting hate.

• Members

just mentioning James Bond to any of the women I know ignites a political tirade- tell a woman that Waldorf is naming synths after James Bond characters and they will start talking boycott and a letter-writing campaign

Yikes.

For real? Just mentioning James Bond? A political tirade? Boycotting an obscure keyboard company in Germany? For naming their newest electronic harmonica the gold finger?

Man... those dizzy broads need a good, hard... pat on the back for their staedfast vigilance against the hanging spectre of sexism in all it's forms. I'd applaud them if I didn't think my hands would turn to clay. Political is my favorite kind of tirade.

...But really though, yikes. If you're reading this Mr. Waldorf, and I know you are you scoundrel, you might want to put the octapussy on hiatus and do some focus grouping, not to mention the wife beater and the objectifier 9000, lest you hurl in horror at the sight of a mobilized and angry citzenry who apparently has quite a lot of free time on their hands.

• Members

mandatory Diversity Training

Jevol.

Man, that sounds... awful, humiliating, condascending, completely out of line and vaugley like a form of (though perhaps well meaning) brain washing. Plus you have the people by the financial short hairs so what can they do? I suppose subject themselves to an indoctrination of your specific brand of morality and intelligence or else get in the unemployment line.

And it seems a little hypocritical to ask for an apology, let alone imply it's the moral and intelligent thing to do, what with the pseudo enlightened, thinly veiled insults and largely baseless and inflamatory accussations abounding in your responses. Of course you're the moral and intelligent one, but maybe you could stand a little diversity training yourself.

• Members
Jevol.

but maybe you could stand a little diversity training yourself.

I already had it- and I've got the pin to prove it:

dvrspin.gif

I get the 'brainwash' thing- but Diversity training is actually about learning and respecting all points of view- but that necessarily means denouncing points-of-view that are themselves disrespectful of groups of people-

that is something the former Miss California didn't understand- you are only entitled to your informed opinion- and you don't have the right to express opinions which demean or diminish the rights of others- in other words no one has the right to advocate taking away/suppressing someone else's rights- not only do we not respect a person with such a view- but they must be re-educated and punished if they continue that behavior

sure it's a little Orwellian- but maybe we will get some nice shiny black leather outfits or something

• Members

I hate external supply boxes as much as anyone else. They're a nuisance and get tangled up, and aren't easily replaced if lost. However, manufacturers can buy them ready-made, already certified to pass various safety and emission standards, can be quickly swapped for international voltage ratings, and all for much less than designing a built-in supply.

Which would you rather have: A lower-priced instrument with an external power supply, or a higher-priced instrument with a built-in supply? I'll bet most everyone would vote for the lower cost.

Archived