DIIV & dreampop type sounds

natepink

• Members

I thought the EP they put out a while ago was pretty good & I'm liking the album so far.

Not a life altering listen but there are times when what I want is hazy reverb drenched pop. And I think Zachary Cole Smith is pretty on it when it comes to that.

Diiv, Beach Fossils, Wild Nothing, Frankie Rose all tick that box for me.

Anyone here listening to similar things?

[video=youtube;-BCc7P3YEKc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BCc7P3YEKc

[video=youtube;gI2F2iibN8I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI2F2iibN8I&list=PL155874081CC381FC&index=5&feature=plpp_video

• Members

I have no idea if they constitute as dream pop but I love Real Estate for reverby, dreamy music.

I keep seeing Real Estate mentioned places but still haven't got around to listening, I'll check them out.

• Members

Just listened to a few DIIV songs. Will be buying later. :thu:

I keep seeing Real Estate mentioned places but still haven't got around to listening, I'll check them out.

Oh man you're in for a treat. I always play them when I feel like going the beach in my mind (or at a physical beach).

• Members

I saw the Diiv guy playing with Beach Fossils a few weeks ago. I prefer the minimalism of the latter but the Diiv record is pretty good too. I was too far away to see what equipment was being used alas.

I think Beach Fossils are awesome, I probably prefer them to Diiv too, I love that kind of clean tone & like you say overall minimalism. On top of that, like Diiv & the others I mentioned I think a lot of the songwriting is really good, there's so many bands in that kind of scene who make things that sound really nice but end up being pretty forgettable. Then again, I guess that's completely subjective anyway.

A good Beach Fossils track:

[video=youtube;fVQ8DWnKdq8]

• Members

I like these guys. Kind of funny how all the Captured Tracks bands have that vibe. There's two acts from around here, Catwalk and Sea Lions, both are on CT if I'm not mistaken. I think it's like the OP said, not life altering, but in certain situations it's just what the doctor ordered. Still really don't know if I could listen to a full album of that repeatedly, though.

Also: would this count as dreampop? It's pretty reverby and poppy.

[video=youtube;zehE6lp_tFM]

• Members

^ ^

I've listened to a bit of Catwalk, I like 'No Room For Love', really good song. I do like the vibe going on at Captured Tracks, Widowspeak are a little different to the other bands on there.

That song you posted, (really good) that's not really what dreampop is in my head, but I hate throwing around made up genre names anyway, all made up by people at Pitchfork & NME etc to try create this idea of a scene. I guess it just makes it easier get a conversation started on the internet, that's why I put it in the thread title, but I actually really hate that way of splitting up music. Good music bad music is better.

Anyways, I just saw this video it all gets pretty rad about 4mins in:

[video=youtube;akS3_NYUw-g]

Archived