Clavia Wave is the

tangerine

• Members

I just demoed the Wave and it is so fantastic and innovative, just test it now to realize the power!

The sound is really fantastic!, if you have the skills it is terrific!

Just dont need the Access Virus TI any more! if you have not test it, it is time now!

:thu:;)

Guest Anonymous

The Wave is overpriced for what it is. When the price drops to $1999 I might jump. Until then the GT is a much better deal. The Blofeld kb is going to offer sample loading for much less also.

:poke:

• Members

I just demoed the Wave and it is so fantastic and innovative, just test it now to realize the power!

The sound is really fantastic!, if you have the skills it is terrific!

Just dont need the Access Virus TI any more! if you have not test it, it is time now!

:thu:;)

Innovative? Perhaps in a very narrow sense.

Btw - "realize the power" is recognized in the Patriot Act as a terrorist phrase. I would delete it immediately, or you may find the FBI at your door. And they won't be looking for donuts.

• Members

how this differs

The interface, which some people (myself included) value highly.

I don't know of any other hardware sampler that has the knobbage of the Wave.

How many knobs does the Blofeld KB have?

They can be had for much cheaper than the typical price tag. There is a dealer on Ebay that will sell you a new "open box" one for $1700 - $1800. Never been used. I think they just have to say "open box" to sidestep the MAP restriction.

• Members

Prob is, Clavia abandons product quicker than MJ abandons little boys. So if you have a Wave which is completely dependent on the computer, and the computer changes it OS and Clavia does not because they simply dont make it anymore- then you are screwed. Its for the reason alone I wont be buying one.

BTW- it isn't overpriced, at a street price of $2,500 its the same as a Virus TI or a V-Synth GT. A good mic pre cost more. You should have lived back in the 70's when a the average pro kybd was 3,500-5,000 and it didn't have MIDI, memory, and weighed a ton. It amazes me how many people in this forum complain about the cost of modern keys- you have NO idea.

• Members

Having taken the Wave to the KSS midwest shindig, I was asked several times to quantify what I like and don't like about it.

Pros:

It's the immediate interface and the way you can do everything in seconds without a menu dive.

There's a knob for nearly everything in there.

The osc options go well beyond just the samples.

The filters are really great - not just kinda good, really great.

The two program slots allow layering.

LFOs are straightforward to operate.

The dead simple keyboard/wheel/velocity morphing feature stands alone.

The sound is really so much better than samplers and romplers I've used.

Pitch stick rocks - w00t!.

Cons:

FX parameters are limited.

No midi delay tempo sync (thanks Elektron for addicting me to that).

Hard-wired aftertouch->vibrato

The location of the filter type button has its moments. :facepalm:

Sure, it's sample uploads are tied to the existence of the computer and current OS support - so is most of the free world. Honestly, if I could never load samples again, this would be fantastic, useful board for the rest of its life.

• Members

The Wave does sound great. I think the Blofeld keys will be awesome. The Wave seems like it's a very simple interface, a caveman could use it. The Nord Lead 3 had unlimited parameters you could assign to the mod wheel, but the Wave seems to only allow you to do one. To me, the Wave sound unique and has that awesome Nord sound... actually I think I sounds the best out of all the Nords. Doesn't seem to be too feature rich, but using samples to modulate other things really makes it sound that much better. That's why I'm excited about the Blofeld keyboard. The filters sound awesome also. So, as others have said, this boards is mainly about it's fabulous sound, not so much features.

• Members

The Nord Lead 3 had unlimited parameters you could assign to the mod wheel, but the Wave seems to only allow you to do one.

You can assign 26 parameters (at once) to the mod wheel, each in different amounts as needed. Each knob on the interface has a small green light next to it indicating that it's parameters is currently assigned. Much more viceral and hands-on than filling in a mod matrix, imo.

Having two sounds loaded up allows for some amazing stuff. Set a morph to bring up the volume of your second slot's output volume while it also closes a LP filter on your first slot, increasing it's resonance and delay send as well. This takes maybe ten seconds to set up.

In the last year, I've heard a lot of opinions about this board, but met very few folks who have actual experience with it or know what its features really are. They do all seem to consistently know "samples", "clavia support sucks", and the MSRP. This is my first Clavia product, but so far I've gotten a great manual, several updates, and fantastic new sample sets from them.

• Members

Maybe it's just me, but I hate the sound of the Blofeld (I had one) and seriously wonder what you folks are listening to.

Thin, weak, most soft synths beat it to me (including all of the NI demos).

I completely prefer hardware and was seriously disappointed with it.

• Members

As an owner of the wave, I will echo everything that Allerian says about it he has it just about covered. (Except for the filter button comment, as I have no issues with where it is). I will say that of all the synths I have owned, this is my single favorite board. The sound is phenomenal and perfect in a live band which is the context it is used in. Saying that, it is not my favorite keybed but it is far from the worst I have ever had. I do wish it had waterfall keys because a nice set of those are always my favorite.

• Members

I was so close to buying a Wave.

The computer dependence was one thing that stopped me-- I just didn't feel like getting further caught in the hardware/software upgrade cycle trap.

The real dealbreaker for me though-- and this goes for the Lead too-- was that you can't set a bpm tempo value for the LFO's. Maybe it would have been worth it to change the way I play synths, but firing the LFO's in tempo (usually tapped in from the fantom) is one of my favorite tricks.

I'm still a little bit gassy for one, but I just destroyed my bank account with some other synths so it'll have to wait. Kicked the sh** out of that account! KO!

• Members

The real dealbreaker for me though-- and this goes for the Lead too-- was that you can't set a bpm tempo value for the LFO's.

Agreed, that is a missing feature that I too am spoiled for. I'm holding out hope for a future OS with midi synched delay time and LFOs.

• Members

In the last year, I've heard a lot of opinions about this board, but met very few folks who have actual experience with it or know what its features really are. They do all seem to consistently know "samples", "clavia support sucks", and the MSRP. This is my first Clavia product, but so far I've gotten a great manual, several updates, and fantastic new sample sets from them.

There has always been a segment of players who don't like Clavia. I don't know why. If you have had a particular Clavia product and didn't like it, that's one thing, but to dismiss a product without ever using it is close minded.

• Members

that blows.

That's what really annoys me. The Wave is a step back from the Lead 3 when it comes to modulation options.

Now if it had maintained the feature set of the Lead 3 and had samples thrown in with it I would be much more driven to buy one.

I'm sure i'll get one eventually though. Can't find any shops in Seattle that carry it. Petosa Music would have had one, but they sadly went out of business.

How is the onboard chorus?

• Members

I guess that depends on how you look at the morph feature. I know aftertouch is a holy word for many.

Okay, but there are three fixed modes. Same goes for the delay feedback.
:facepalm:

That's too bad. They should have kept in The NL3's stereo unison mode. That thing is too cool, way cooler than any chorus.

• Members

You can assign 26 parameters (at once) to the mod wheel, each in different amounts as needed. Each knob on the interface has a small green light next to it indicating that it's parameters is currently assigned. Much more viceral and hands-on than filling in a mod matrix, imo.

Just to be clear, you're talking about the Nord Wave, correct?

Archived