off topic - what's a cool lava lamp

droolmaster0

• Members

starshiplavaww0.jpg

I have a few and this is my favorite. Bought it at Walmart years ago.

that one looks pretty nice. Can you believe it - I don't think that I've ever been in a Walmart. I have no idea where one exists in San Francisco (tend to be oblivious to things like that). But I'll probably see if they have them at Amazon - I have one of their prime memberships, which is actually a great deal - I'll get it shipped 2nd day for free.

• Members

, based in England, are the original makers of the lava lamp.

I don't know if they're the "coolest" and I'm sure they're not the cheapest, but their products seem to have good quality. I've ordered items from them before (shipped to US, not lava lamps) with no problem.

Searched a bit - haven't yet found a regular lava lamp - do they still make them? Plus haven't found anywhere in the US that has them yet. But I'll poke around a bit more

• Members

Searched a bit - haven't yet found a regular lava lamp - do they still make them? Plus haven't found anywhere in the US that has them yet. But I'll poke around a bit more

Spencer's Gifts at your local mall should still carry them. My favorite colors are orange lava with a silver base. One of the brighter color combinations.

• Members

What's that place in the Malls that has jokes, gimmicks, black lights etc ?

I'll be they have them.

Now I remember.,Spencers ! OK, here you go

http://www.spencersonline.com/product/52-Ounce-Lava-Lamp/

But, you're defenitely screwing with Karma by taking the softer, easier way.

Just sayin'......

Edit: Beat me to the punch Zoink

• Members

Spencer's Gifts at your local mall should still carry them. My favorite colors are orange lava with a silver base. One of the brighter color combinations.

what I meant was that I couldn't find the mathmos lava lamps anywhere....but there are tons of other ones available on amazon. Do I even have a local mall?

• Members

Ok, I've been wanting to talk about something cool I've found and this thread seems as good a place as any.

I was looking for something like a lava light or some other cool lighting thing to put in my studio, and I stumbled across the Laser Stars at Spencer Gifts. It was boxed and shelved and the employees didn't know what it was so I got them to unpack it and demo it - I was hooked and bought it on the spot.

Laser Stars is really amazing and nothing else looks like it... kinda hypnotic and has ever-changing patterns like a lava lamp but it's totally unique. Real lasers - not something you want to look right into - no focusing necessary. Works just as well in a huge building as it does in your studio. I've also used Laser Stars at gigs and it never fails to get attention.

Just thought I'd toss this out there for your amusement.

00037564.detail.a.jpg

• Members

Ok, I've been wanting to talk about something cool I've found and this thread seems as good a place as any.

I was looking for something like a lava light or some other cool lighting thing to put in my studio, and I stumbled across the
Laser Stars
at Spencer Gifts. It was boxed and shelved and the employees didn't know what it was so I got them to unpack it and demo it - I was hooked and bought it on the spot.

Laser Stars is really amazing and nothing else looks like it... kinda hypnotic and has ever-changing patterns like a lava lamp but it's totally unique. Real lasers - not something you want to look right into - no focusing necessary. Works just as well in a huge building as it does in your studio. I've also used Laser Stars at gigs and it never fails to get attention.

Just thought I'd toss this out there for your amusement.

00037564.detail.a.jpg

home/girls/room decor? Does sound cool though.

• Members

Does Amoeba Records sell stuff like this? Denver's Twist & Shout record store sells toys, clothes, and stuff... I can't recall if Amoeba did when I visited a couple years ago - anyway, sometimes record stores have cool stuff like this. - J.

• Members

Does Amoeba Records sell stuff like this? Denver's Twist & Shout record store sells toys, clothes, and stuff... I can't recall if Amoeba did when I visited a couple years ago - anyway, sometimes record stores have cool stuff like this. - J.

That's a thought...since the rise of online shops, I've really gotten lazy about 'going shopping' for stuff like that. I don't have a car, and it would take a couple of hours out of my day ("Horrors, Droolmaster, that might save us from about 5 of your silly posts")

• Members

For some reason it seems to me the Bay Area would be a hotbed for lava lamps... why I think this, I don't know... :rolleyes: seriously, at one point a lava lamp would've been a prerequisite for living in San Fran, would it not? And don't forget there are two Amoeba Records in the Bay Area! - J.

• Members

hmm... i'd say telegraph ave in berkeley or pacific ave in santa cruz are better places than SF (read: haight st) for all things lava lamp. one of those is even BARTable; however, you may get murdered by the police if you take BART (see youtube).

i'm fairly certain amoeba doesn't carry stuff like that.

Archived