ebay nightmare

filtersweep

• Members

I like the idea of having a tech look at it. I don't like the idea of starting with the assumption that you're being scammed. there is a lot that isn't known at this point, and I just think that starting out with that as a presupposition can only make this get ugly. I don't understand the rationale behind refunding half .... you should be able to get it to a tech, and have him bill you for any repairs, or something like that. I'd hate to be in this situation. But I'd try for the most open communication that you can get. He may not have a video camera. I certainly don't. May not be to my credit, but it shouldn't be something that's assumed.

• Members

He also could have switched out defective parts.A board or chip or ?JD

Exactly which is why if you know it was in perfect working condition when it left you and it wasn't damaged in transit, I wouldn't ask for it back because you have no idea that you're not getting exactly what you sent him sent back.

• Members
He wants to send it back for full refund or have me refund half the price so he can get it fixed. I'd like your opinions.

Scam.

1. If you sell me a broken unit, I don't want to fix it. I want it GONE. I'm pissed, you done me wrong. IMO that is human nature. There might be more problems, and I wouldnt want to deal with it, even for "half off".

2. He has no clue how much it would be to fix, yet he assigned a monetary value to it. He doesn't know if a simple wire is loose, or if it needs a new flux capacitor. Yet he knows that to fix it, it will cost half the price? Nonsense. He gave same bull{censored} "encoder" vagueness, he doesn't have a clue what's wrong with it or what it would cost. It's probably working perfectly, or he took a part he needed out.

3. People are hurting. My guess is that he is using that. Half a sale can buy groceries too. When I was in college many moons ago, I had a Poly800 and I arranged to sell it for $400. When they came to get it they said "We only have $320".:rolleyes: I took it because I was broke and they knew it.

1/2 off?? Its a scam.

• Members

I've been on the opposite end of things a while ago with a synthesizer. I was the one who discovered that the synth in question had been cannibalized for parts (more than was clear in the auction) before it was sold to me. I insisted on returning the item for a full refund. I didn't want to bother with it AT ALL. The seller was the one who insisted on a partial refund, which I reluctantly accepted.

It seems backwards. He's asking you for what you, if you were desperate for the money, would offer him in lieu of a full refund.

Another vote for scam. Or clueless user who broke his new synth.

FYI, always.....ALWAYS......"I only accept PayPal, no exceptions. All sales are final. No returns will be accepted, no exceptions. Will only ship to a confirmed PayPal address, no exceptions. Immediate payment is required, no exceptions. Insurance is required, no exceptions."

• Members

i had a problem like that with a poly 800 i sold years back. Paypal should have a policy that if the buyer sends in to you in the condition it was received, you will offer a refund. Thats to give you enough time to check it out I guess.

The 800 i sold was in perfect condition and the guy I sold it to swore up and down it didn't work and he had an EX 800 that worked and didn't do what the poly did ect. I used the paypal condition mentioned above and I never heard back from him. My guess was he had a dead EX and was going to switch the boards and send me the 800 with the bad ones.

BTW were you selling a desktop? I was watching one that was canceled in the middle of the auction. Was that you?

• Members

Sounds like a scam to me too.

There are several popular scams on eBay these days. Here are some options.

1) The buyer has a dead one and intends to swap it for yours, sending back the dead one. This can be avoided, to an extent, by recording the serial number of the synth before you ship it, making clear that you will/have done so, and refusing a refund until you have the synth in hand and can confirm that it's the same one you shipped.

2) The buyer has a dead one and intends to cannibalize a part or parts from yours. This is harder to protect against unless you are a tech, or otherwise knowledgeable enough to specifically identify that parts were removed/swapped out.

3) The buyer is attempting to get a discount, hoping that you'll just refund some money. This could be buyer's remorse, or it could have been the intention all along.

In any event, it's far more likely that this is a scam. That first email, saying "he's sure the OS and firmware are fine" sounds dodgy to me. It sounds like a setup for the followup email.

G'luck dealing with this situation. eBay has become a real pain due to these scams.

• Members

This is such a bummer, I'm sorry you have to deal with this bull****!

I fully checked out my Polyevolver when I sold it on ebay and double-boxed, superpacked it, well the guy receives it and emails me he can't get it to work, so he finally calls me and I offered to pay to have Dave send him a new board to install in it but I had the idea for him to open it up and check the ribbons in it, sure enough the main one had come loose. BAM!! worked great and I got fantastic feedback.

One question, what kind of feedback did this person have? I can usually tell by the feedback if you have a loser or not.

• Members

I always describe things 100% accurately and state no returns.

I once had someone claim a camera lens had "backfocusing" issues and was a "bad copy". It clearly did not, it was user error or he'd been reading too many stupid forums on the internet to know the limitations.

Tell them to claim insurance if it was damaged in shipping. I am /very/ skeptical of ebay transactions unless you don't state such you will attract scammers.

I even say "shipping to US only" and I get idiots asking "how much to ship to FRANCE"? Grr!

• Members

Thanks for all the thoughts / advice. Things have turned out well. He said that he no longer wants a refund and any further issues will be his responsibility. For the record, I had offered to take it back if issues could not be resolved.
I sent him instructions on doing a hard reset (downloaded from the manual - the hard copy of which he has) and that seems to have solved his problem. Also think that, although he said he has used Virus before, that much of the "encoder" problem stems from not realizing tht the encoders can be programmed to "pick up" parameter changes in any of several ways. He noted, for instance, that he got no parameter response in some cases until he turned the encoder "X" % of a turn. I suspect that I left it set to pick up parameter changes only after the encoder had crossed the previously set value, so as not to have abrupt parameter changes.
I thought I was dealing with a trustworthy individual to start with, but some of what he said made me question that. In the end, I think he was just frustrated and maybe a bit panicked when it did not behave as he expected.
PS the reason you can't find this in ebay is that I terminated the sale with his offer to purchase at an agreed upon price. I don't think this was a willful violation of ebay policy on his part and I know it wasn't on mine. I thought you coud do that. I won't end another auction that way and intend to settle with ebay as it is only fair for ethen to get the appropriate comminssion.

Archived