Really Can't Decide on the Timeline or the Timefactor...AHH!

• Members

Hey guys-

I'm a bit of a delay novice, which is pretty strange considering the two aforementioned choices in pedals. Still, I'm the type of guy who prefers to do research and make a quality purchase rather than upgrading a billion times.

With that said, I play in a cover band that plays everything from country to Jovi, and I also play in a worship band.

A lot of other sites I was interested to find people really prefering the Timeline over the Factor. However I read some threads on here that were saying the TF trumps the TL for them.

My main function for a delay pedal is to supply a solid amount of delay/wash for leads, and also some dotted eighth delay stuff. The TL seems to sound much better at sort of washy/almost analog delay tones, but I've heard the TF is a much more straight forward digital delay.

Also the TF has a global tap tempo, but the TL just sounds so cool.

Can the TL do the type of delay for a killer lead tone? I gravitate more toward the TL for some of the washy sounds, but wondering if I should just suck it up and realize all I need is a solid digital delay.

Would love to hear experiences etc from you guys. I've got a DL4 right now which works fine, except it doesn't do midi. I'm planning on upgrading to a musicomlab EFXIII and need a delay unit that has midi to switch my presets.

MM

• Members

I own both and tbh, either would probably work fine for what you need. The TL is better at washy/analog type sounds but it can do the patterns and 8th stuff as well. And the TF is amazing for clean digital sounds but the tape sounds have gotten a lot better with the updates that eventide have rolled out over the years. Really, its win/win.

I'd probably favour the TL as the sounds are a bit better straight out of the box. The TF is pretty complicated, but its just a matter of doing your research.

If you have any specific comparison questions I'd be happy to answer them

• Members

The TL is true bypass, and also only affects the delays. The original guitar sound is supposed to pass through unchanged. I have read some TF owners didn't like the way it (the conversion and buffer) altered their tone.

I have a TL so you know my bias.

• Members

Yeah, I'd go with the Timeline. It's actually easier to use than the Eventide pedals and also has much better performance in terms of switching between patches, analog dry path, possibly bitrate as well, etc. It took me a little time to really warm up to mine but man, what a fun delay once you get the hang of it.

To be fair, I never really had a megadelay other than that before.

• Members

Why isnt the timefactor looper good?

I'm actually think about getting one. I had the timeline, and was not too satified. Personal preferences and little bugs got to me. but tge timefactors looper looks fairly cool with the ability to change,the loop start point. 48 seconds max. The timeline looper has undo, but only can be accessed via midi. I like that timefactor is way cheper used then the timeline as well.

• Members

Part of me thinks I should get the timefactor and an analog delay, but id probably be happy woth either. Global tap tempo would be awesome, wish the timeline had that...

Ive actually heard someone say the timefactor is actually a better looper, I really dont care about I dont care about a looper myself.

• Members

I've had two Timefactors and traded or sold both of them off like a dumbass. It is pretty easy to set up and the delays all sound great, especially on the last update I did (V3 i believe). I want another one and when I get it I'm not gonna get rid of this one. I have a DL4 and it sounds ok, but I want a longer looper and the ability to use my other delay patches without having to bend over and change it from the looper setting.

• Members

Yeah, I have a DL4 and its pretty meh. Gets the job done but I'm looking for a premium delay unit that will do MIDI functionality.

I'm leaning more towards the Timeline ATM, though it's obvious that these two pedals are of extreme quality and I really couldn't go wrong with either.

• Members

how bad is 48 seconds on the TF? I had issues with the timeline's looper. It would really clip badly on playback if I had a cranked up fuzz in front of it. It was weird, it would sound fine going in, then play back, would be garbage.

• Members

it was sporadic. Which was even more annoying. I had a few other sporadic errors with the timeline, cool pedal. but man it drove me nuts when it just suddenly {censored}ed up. I'd like to try that timefactor. Now, I play the old, what do I sell....

Archived