Epic NG&BTPD

mdrake34

• Members

Sold my les paul trad pro, old silverface twin (which needed all new tubes and caps and I didn't feel like paying for the repairs) and an old bass cab, bought new Gibson Les Paul Junior Special in gloss heritage cherry from GC, then bought a Boston Terrier Puppy for my fiance. His name is Waylon, and he rules.

6CL6D.jpg

xpSTl.jpg

bpX5G.jpg

• Members

Nice axe (although it seems like it would be a downgrade from the trad pro), and you can't go wrong with a loyal dog! Congrats!

It's technically a downgrade yes, but I wasn't totally in love with the trad pro anymore and really wanted something with p-90's. I've always wanted a special, so I figured I'd do some wheeling and dealing. The extra cash is going to help my next upgrade, which will be from my tweed NOS blues jr. to a princeton reverb reissue. I haven't spent much time with it yet, but I LOVE the tone on this one.

• Members

It's technically a downgrade yes, but I wasn't totally in love with the trad pro anymore and really wanted something with p-90's. I've always wanted a special, so I figured I'd do some wheeling and dealing. The extra cash is going to help my next upgrade, which will be from my tweed NOS blues jr. to a princeton reverb reissue. I haven't spent much time with it yet, but I LOVE the tone on this one.

I'm still jonesing for a DC Gibby with P90s... a student of mine had a DC Special with one P90. Sounded great, but it's tough to know how much of that was his gear (that his rich parents bought for him).

• Members

You can take the sticker off now, it's yours.
:lol:

I'm still confused by the 'Junior Special' moniker. It's a Special. Two pickups, bound neck - that's a Special. No Junior appointments in sight.

:confused:

I know, I literally got to spend 5 minutes with it yesterday, we spent most of the day in the car between going up to atlanta for the guitar and then going to get the dog. I'm going to take it off tonight. It's the first baked maple fretboard I've seen in person but it's nice. Good dark color and no spots that I can tell. The overall fit and finish is nice from what I can tell, I haven't looked over every inch yet but I haven't found any flaws. The p-90's sound great, I think I am a p-90 guy. So versatile.

Yeah, I don't get the jr. special name either. I wanted a gloss yellow one, but they only had a satin yellow and it was . . . awful. I played this one for 5 minutes in the store and knew it was coming home with me.

• Members

I know, I literally got to spend 5 minutes with it yesterday, we spent most of the day in the car between going up to atlanta for the guitar and then going to get the dog. I'm going to take it off tonight. It's the first baked maple fretboard I've seen in person but it's nice. Good dark color and no spots that I can tell. The overall fit and finish is nice from what I can tell, I haven't looked over every inch yet but I haven't found any flaws. The p-90's sound great, I think I am a p-90 guy. So versatile.

Yeah, I don't get the jr. special name either. I wanted a gloss yellow one, but they only had a satin yellow and it was . . . awful. I played this one for 5 minutes in the store and knew it was coming home with me.

The P-90s in my CS are the best sounding pickups I've ever owned. I don't know if they do anything different for the CS builds, but man it's hard to top a Gibson-made P-90 IMO.

I'm totally a P-90 guy - I don't know why I waited so long to get the real thing.

If yours doesn't have it, make sure to try the '50s Wiring Mod' - it really opens up the tonal possibilities. Easy to check for - if yours is wired with the tone cap to the outside pot lug, just move it to the center one. Don't like it, just move it back. But I found that it opened up the sound a little more and it also vastly improves the function of the Tone control from a simple treble roll off to a 'Fat control' - you'll be able to get into Tele territory easier, and it'll even cop some faux acoustic sounds. I loved my Special before Howard hipped me to the mod, but now I can't live without this guitar.

• Members

The P-90s in my CS are the best sounding pickups I've ever owned. I don't know if they do anything different for the CS builds, but man it's hard to top a Gibson-made P-90 IMO.

I'm totally a P-90 guy - I don't know why I waited so long to get the real thing.

If yours doesn't have it, make sure to try the '50s Wiring Mod' - it really opens up the tonal possibilities. Easy to check for - if yours is wired with the tone cap to the outside pot lug, just move it to the center one. Don't like it, just move it back. But I found that it opened up the sound a little more and it also vastly improves the function of the Tone control from a simple treble roll off to a 'Fat control' - you'll be able to get into Tele territory easier, and it'll even cop some faux acoustic sounds. I loved my Special before Howard hipped me to the mod, but now I can't live without this guitar.

What's the tone like with the tone control at 10, normal? I'll have to read into that.

Archived