The Official Minimum Wage Argument Thread

rileykill

• Members

Sure. What I meant was that as a bartender who makes $4.95 an hour, most of which pays my taxes on tips, who relies more or less entirely on tips for my income, I pay attention to what each customer tips. I hate to say it out loud or type it on the internet, as I don't want to be labelled a racist. That would explain the first sentence. The second sentence would best be explained by me acknowledging that one notices certain demographic patterns in direct correlation to the disparities in tips left on the bar top. It's an uncomfortable subject and not something I bring up outside of conversation with industry friends, but it's acknowledged across everyone I know in the industry here, regardless of their ethnicity.

It's okay. That episode of Louie covered it perfectly.

Also as a bartender, how do you feel about getting less than minimum wage? I don't want to know how much you make, but do you feel like you benefit from getting tips or would you rather have a set wage?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's okay. That episode of Louie covered it perfectly.

Also as a bartender, how do you feel about getting less than minimum wage? I don't want to know how much you make, but do you feel like you benefit from getting tips or would you rather have a set wage?

I think tips usually work out better, but not always. I do think it's a bit of a racket for employers to just rely on their customers to pay their employees, though.

• Members

the problem is not Obama, it is the system that doesn't work but for a few.

By the way, most american presidents are just bag holders for others who really rule the USA

Most people don't realize that the president is not in charge of the government, he's only in charge of the executive branch, which is basically 1/3 of the government. For some reason, the majority of the country seems to have the mistaken idea that the US government has a central figurehead, and that has led to some big problems, like Bush expanding the power of his office and not being called on it, and people blaming Obama for being ineffective when he actually doesn't have to power to do whatever he wants.

• Members

waiter minimum wage: $2.13/hr.

should immediately shoot up to $20/hr when minorities, tourists, or rednecks enter the restaurant.

vote mike youngblood 2012!

what the {censored}?

i was ignoring this thread, and it only took a few posts to see that i should've followed my gut.

• Members

Sure. What I meant was that as a bartender who makes $4.95 an hour, most of which pays my taxes on tips, who relies more or less entirely on tips for my income, I pay attention to what each customer tips. I hate to say it out loud or type it on the internet, as I don't want to be labelled a racist. That would explain the first sentence. The second sentence would best be explained by me acknowledging that one notices certain demographic patterns in direct correlation to the disparities in tips left on the bar top. It's an uncomfortable subject and not something I bring up outside of conversation with industry friends, but it's acknowledged across everyone I know in the industry here, regardless of their ethnicity.

Stereotype checks out.

• Members

Most people don't realize that the president is
not
in charge of the government, he's only in charge of the executive branch, which is basically 1/3 of the government. For some reason, the majority of the country seems to have the mistaken idea that the US government has a central figurehead, and that has led to some big problems, like Bush expanding the power of his office and not being called on it, and people blaming Obama for being ineffective when he actually doesn't have to power to do whatever he wants.

that's just defeatest pinko commie talk. you'll see when romney, or hopefully Ron Paul, get elected and wave their magic capitalist wisdom wands (their huge dicks) and everything happens without like congress or state governments having to actually do something without {censored}ting themselves

Archived