Pictures- Finally got my Musicomlab EFXIII+ and finished my simple board build!

• Members

Musicomlab finally came, and I finished cutting a bajillion lava cables to fit my board together. Had a few bad ones, but got them sorted out.

Also finally mounted my Pedal Power 2+ on the bottom of my PT-Pro. Now I just need to figure out how to manage cables a bit better, the board is sort of messy.

The board is fairly simple for now, though I'd like to expand- what should I buy? I like the bluesy tone I get from the tube screamer, but I wonder if there's something else that would take me more down that path. Here are the pedals

Guitar ->

Dimebag Crybaby Wah

Keeley 4 Knob Compressor

Maxon TS808 (don't have to step on the switch anymore : ) )

BB Preamp MB

EHX Cathedral

Line 6 DL4

Keeley Katana

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

The GT500 and Dark Matter aren't being used (need to sell them)

The next step is to get a Strymon Timeline, Expression pedal (for the TL), volume pedal, and POSSIBLY an M9 (does it do midi very well?)

Oh and a pedal power digital to power the Timeline, M9, and Musicomlab.

The musicomlab switcher is AWESOME- will be the heart of my board for many years to come. I'm so excited to be able to really pick and choose when I want compression, etc, all in the form of presets. I have a gig tomorrow so we'll see how it works out.

• Members

I'm using it fairly simply, but it's seriously awesome. My only complaint is price- thing is expensive. But 8 programmable loops, midi control, all on a very reasonably small footprint make it a win for me.

This is my first time using a switching system, and I already can't believe how some guys do it without. I was tap dancing, hitting 3-4 pedals for my lead sound, then switching off of all of them. Just doing some basic presets has already been extremely awesome. No more hitting my compressor, delay, and clean boost for my lead. This thing just does it for me, then I can go back to low gain.

I've got a gig tomorrow so we'll see how it holds up. I also don't have a midi pedal (yet) so I'm not taking advantage of how it can send midi messages, but that will be pretty awesome. Then I can start saving some ambient sounds on banks just to play with them, and mess around incorporating different pedals.

• Members

I'm using it fairly simply, but it's seriously awesome. My only complaint is price- thing is expensive. But 8 programmable loops, midi control, all on a very reasonably small footprint make it a win for me.

This is my first time using a switching system, and I already can't believe how some guys do it without. I was tap dancing, hitting 3-4 pedals for my lead sound, then switching off of all of them. Just doing some basic presets has already been extremely awesome. No more hitting my compressor, delay, and clean boost for my lead. This thing just does it for me, then I can go back to low gain.

I've got a gig tomorrow so we'll see how it holds up. I also don't have a midi pedal (yet) so I'm not taking advantage of how it can send midi messages, but that will be pretty awesome. Then I can start saving some ambient sounds on banks just to play with them, and mess around incorporating different pedals.

That does sound awesome. Enjoy!

• Members

Well, it's not just a midi controller- it's basically a programmable looper WITH midi functionality in it. You can also control your amp's footswitch with it- it's really a true all in one switcher that takes up a really small footprint.

I was turned on to the unit after watching a Pete Thorn pedalboard demo :

But yeah, it's ridiculously expensive. I just couldn't find any sort of similar product for less. Sure there's the CM Octaswitch, but that's just a programmable looper and won't change midi compatible pedals to the correct preset with the click of a switch. The only other way is to get a programmable pedal switcher, and then a midi control unit, which ends up being more $$ and takes up more space on the board anyways.

• Members

Well, it's not just a midi controller- it's basically a programmable looper WITH midi functionality in it. You can also control your amp's footswitch with it- it's really a true all in one switcher that takes up a really small footprint.

I was turned on to the unit after watching a Pete Thorn pedalboard demo :

But yeah, it's ridiculously expensive. I just couldn't find any sort of similar product for less. Sure there's the CM Octaswitch, but that's just a programmable looper and won't change midi compatible pedals to the correct preset with the click of a switch. The only other way is to get a programmable pedal switcher, and then a midi control unit, which ends up being more $$ and takes up more space on the board anyways.

For sure man. I am glad it is working out for you.

• Members

Congrats, nice board. I'm not big on effects placed vertically like the DL4 on your board. You can easily place it above the EFXIII and relocate the 3 pedals in the same place w/ room to drop the GT-500 down. You may have to place the DL4 on a riser, but it would work. Just a thought.

• Members

I'm not big on it either....I have a riser but absolutely hate tap tempo-ing when reaching over something. It's just vertical so I can tap tempo easily, but I agree it looks pretty silly.

I'm gonna be getting a Timefactor or Timeline soon, so the DL4 will be gone. The Timeline will fit next to my Cathedral when I move it over.

This is sort of my 'first board'. Now that I've covered all the bases, I can start zeroing in on some more specific pedals for specific sounds. Not really sure what I'd buy next- I play in a cover band that does all sorts of music. RIght now, I've got a pretty solid low gain and high gain OD/lead tone. I'd like to maybe zero in on some country twang in the form of a pedal, or maybe get a better Mayerish smooth blues tone.

Archived