FL studio vs. Cubase vs. Pro Tools vs. Logic

Konway

• Members

Actually, FL Studio is
THE
tool for some music niches.
Reggaeton
comes immediately to my mind. If you want to produce Reggaeton in Puerto Rico or Panama, you HAVE to have FL Studio. And it is a multi-million market.

Or if you wanna be like Basshunter in the Netherlands I guess :thu:

(which is actually how I first found out about FL Studio :p )

It has an awesome interface, not sure how I'd put it... just a lot more "personality" than other programs, in my opinion anyway. The rest seem very utilitarian looking and bland, even if they are more functional.

• Members

Or if you wanna be like Basshunter in the Netherlands I guess
:thu:

Sweden.

The rest seem very utilitarian looking and bland, even if they
are
more functional.

What you call utilitarian I call clear.

On hardware it works to have a black panel (no smudges) and white letters (you can see them on stage). In software, it does not; for an example, see Arturia's Moog Modular. The labels are to small and hard to read.

Glossy knobs add nothing but visual distraction and make it harder to gauge their actual values. Knobs do simply not work well in certain situations; having a shiny all-rotary knobs synthesizer is a stupid choice on screen, while a slim, colored slider without fancy rendering can represent levels in a much better way.

• Members
IMHO, there is no competition for Logic 8. Live 8 is very compelling and much easier to get your head around but once you start "getting" Logic, it may become the soul of your studio.

You can get Logic Express 8. It has all you'll ever need. If you do remix work though, go for Live instead. The adjustments you can do with audio in Live is indispensable for remix work IMO but for producing music, Logic is a one stop shop.
:thu:

Logic and Live combo here. See below.

I totally agree with what MuzikB is saying.

If you only want/can afford one program, Logic Studio is definitely the way to go. Ableton has no comping options, and can be tedious when it comes to recording audio tracks. It's more complete than Ableton. It's also a lot cheeper (for the full deal), and is the way to go if you're on a Mac. Logic is also the king of midi. You can fully get by on Logic, whereas you can get by on Ableton, but not nearly to the extent that you can with Logic.

Ableton is a DAW-like instrument. I love it for writing. You can do great demos with it, but Logic has much better plugins included. I've always written chart style, and as soon as I got my hands on Ableton, it just made sense to edit/writes my music in this fashion. Ableton's brilliance shines in the chart-type triggering. Watch the videos on the site. To me, it integrates perfectly with the way I think and write.

My workflow seems to be evolving in this direction:

Setup an Ableton chart. Jam away, and loop away. Crank out some melodies/grooves/ideas. When you have everything you like in Ableton, route everything track by track (rewire) into Logic. Then, you can edit your stuff properly in Logic(with comping/mixing/EQ/etc.). Ableton sucks for doing vocals, and it's plugins aren't on par with Logic's. Logic is PARAMONT for comping audio takes. This is one HUGE feature that Ableton lacks.

Then, if you want, just bounce the verse/bridges/choruses back into Ableton for playing shows.

I'd highly recommend giving yourself quite a bit of time on the learning curve. I think the current access to technology has really hindered many people's progress... patience is key. These programs are quite deep, and are very complex. Learning how to mix/record/engineer is like learning how to play an instrument.

Be patient, and have fun!

Cheers,
Phil B

• Members

"No real producers using FL Studio" is actually a very compelling argument, despite what some of you seem to think. The people who make money producing clearly have more knowledge, experience, etc. and are capable of making a more informed decision regarding software.

I've actually heard some "real professionals" using FL Studio. The main advantages of FL Studio is its really easy pattern sequencing, and many genres which revolve around patterns take advantage of that. I do not like using FL Studio for live audio, although it can be done. However as a quick loop sketchpad (of preprogrammed stuff), there's nothing I know of with that fast of a workflow. So even though my primary DAW is (obscure! he he) SAWStudio, I do use FL Studio to compose loops and sequenced stuff.

I also have Ableton Live. It seems like its workflow is optimized for *live* loops (duh). If you are more into playing all the loop parts yourself and editing / quantizing the MIDI afterwards, then Live has the fastest workflow. Playing is *always* faster than programming, but some things you just got to program. It's nice to have both handy. Of course budget constraints could be an issue here.

Nevertheless, my primary DAW remains a older track-based DAW: SAWStudio. That's a bit of an obscure choice these days, I use it 'cause it's what I know (it helps that it's probably one of the more stable DAWs out there). IMHO Logic or Sonar is probably the better up-front choice these days. I personally find that the loop based features get in the way of track based recording, especially in FL Studio's case where track-based performance is poor.

Ableton Live can act the most like a track-based DAW, so if you want the all-in-one solution up front, that's the program to get. But depending on your needs it may not be the best solution.

• Members

I never understood the FL hate- it is by far the best DAW on any platform IMO [when combined with Energy XT]- and many older producers agree with me- those of us who grew up with hardware samplers- perhaps we are just too old to give a {censored} about what a bunch of forum posters say is cool and actually use what WE like the best-

if some catastrophe prevented me from using FL I would use Live or Energy XT by itself-

• Members
I also have Ableton Live. It seems like its workflow is optimized for *live* loops (duh). If you are more into playing all the loop parts yourself and editing / quantizing the MIDI afterwards, then Live has the fastest workflow. Playing is *always* faster than programming, but some things you just got to program. It's nice to have both handy. Of course budget constraints could be an issue here.

nice, it sounds like the motif xs will work pretty well with Ableton -- I'd definitely like to use it as much as possible so I can learn both at the same time maybe :confused:

Archived