Jetpack Mods XP1000

hosebeast

• Members

I was watching videos of the old Digitech XP pedals and ran across this thing's existence. I emailed the dude who does them and I guess he still does the mod and has a few pre-modded ones for sale. Thinking about picking one up, but it's kinda hard to bite the bullet.

On one hand, I could get rid of my tuner and probably my whammy, but getting rid of the whammy would mean I couldn't use the awesome Whammy effects with the Alien features from the XP300.

On the other hand, it's a little bit more than I figured it would cost, and I've never played with any of the XP pedals before so I might hate it.

ITT - over-load me with info on the Digitech XP series. Do the patches sound too sterile? Do they not work well with other effects? Are they kind of a stupid line of pedals and that's why they didn't exist for very long at all? The XP300 is like my dream pedal, but the only evidence I have of it being interesting is videos of other people using their own gear, so who knows how it'll react to my stuff?

Excited to hear back from you all :wave::poke::confused:

• Members

I had one for a while, it had some good sounds but the whole interface/buffer was bull{censored}. You have to unplug the power to change between modes. The whammy/wah (XP100) isn't great and doesn't compare to any of the other whammys. Great pedal but not worth the amount Jetpack guy charges for them.

• Members

Great pedal for studio use, but for gigging it is tough to get the most out of it. As WAWBanks pointed out, you have to power down to switch between the 4 modules. I had one for a couple of years, and I sold it to afford my VOX Ultrasonic. In the long run, the VOX was more than worth it, but I lament the loss of the XP 1000 at times. It really is a fun pedal if you don't have high expectations for it in a live setting.

• Members

I had one for a while, it had some good sounds but the whole interface/buffer was bull{censored}. You have to unplug the power to change between modes. The whammy/wah (XP100) isn't great and doesn't compare to any of the other whammys. Great pedal but not worth the amount Jetpack guy charges for them.

ya I had one too but sold it. Its a great concept - having all the stations in one, but if it could be implemented in a way thats more practical for live use, that would be better.

Its still a sick mod no doubt.

• Members

BUMPER for more info on the XP series and the benefit/stupidness of sinking money into the JPM XP-1000.

Srsly, I need some info on these things because surprisingly, there's basically nothing about them online. When were the XP pedals produced? Why did they stop making them? Is the Expression Factory close to them like I read on some random post somewhere? I still need to hear about this supposed 'vacuum' that the pedals create with yr tone; like, there's no dry signal/volume control, or maybe a volume drop or something?

Really, if anybody who has owned ANY of the XP models wouldn't mind, I would like to read as much detail about them, any of them really, as possible. This will be a huge, huge investment for me - bigger than any pedal invest I will probably ever make, so I wanna make sure I'm making the right decision.

Thanks in advance, cool dudes.

• Members

Honestly, I would just get a XP-300 somewhere. Ultimately, you're buying it for those sounds. Sure it's be handy to have the other sounds, but most other pedals out there will do those sounds just as good if not better, for less of a hassle of putting up with the Jetpackmods power down layout anyways. Avoid the pain in the ass and get the elusive sounds in something you can flip easier if you tire of them.

• Members

When were the XP pedals produced? Why did they stop making them? Is the Expression Factory close to them like I read on some random post somewhere? I still need to hear about this supposed 'vacuum' that the pedals create with yr tone; like, there's no dry signal/volume control, or maybe a volume drop or something?

They were introduced in the late 90s... Maybe 1998?

They stopped making them because they didn't sell very well at the time, but the Space Station was a sleeper hit that grew to collector's status.

The XPs have their own buffer with a tiny knob on the back that controls the input gain. Being such a tiny knob, it is difficult to adjust with precision. But worse yet, when bypassed the buffer really degrades your source signal. If you plan to use it live, you'll want a bypass looper to bypass the buffer entirely. The only issue with that is that some of the XP's best presets have stereo outputs, so you'll need a looper that can accomodate 2 effect returns and 2 looper outputs.

• Members

Honestly, I would just get a XP-300 somewhere. Ultimately, you're buying it for those sounds. Sure it's be handy to have the other sounds, but most other pedals out there will do those sounds just as good if not better, for less of a hassle of putting up with the Jetpackmods power down layout anyways. Avoid the pain in the ass and get the elusive sounds in something you can flip easier if you tire of them.

This is exactly what I ended up doing. Couldn't agree more. It's all about the Space Station. The other models have some great presets, but I have those covered in other pedals that I prefer.

• Members

IIRC, the EX-7 only recreates 1 of the 30+ preset programs... the Synth Strings preset 1. There's a whole lot more to the XP 300 than just the 1st preset.

it does all the synth strings presets. but it doesn't do any of the other space station patches (and alot of those sound cool as hell, while the synth strings gets old after an hour or so). Beyond that, it does some (limited) modulation and pitch shift, but no reverb. It's like a fraction of the Jetpak mod capabilities. And the treadle sweep is crap.

• Members

Why would I spend $350, minimum, for JUST the XP300, when for another $50 I could have access to ALL the pedals, though?

I guess you can't set aside yr favorite settings with the JPM - anybody know if you can do that with the space station? Like, if I liked settings 12, 31, 37 and 40, does a setting exist where I can simply scroll between these few patches and not have to scroll all the way through them? Also, can you only scroll through the settings in one direction, or can you go both ways? Like, could I go from 20 up to 24, then back down to 20 without having to go all the way around?

Again, thanks in advance for all the replies I'll hopefully get.

• Members

I guess you can't set aside yr favorite settings with the JPM - anybody know if you can do that with the space station? Like, if I liked settings 12, 31, 37 and 40, does a setting exist where I can simply scroll between these few patches and not have to scroll all the way through them? Also, can you only scroll through the settings in one direction, or can you go both ways? Like, could I go from 20 up to 24, then back down to 20 without having to go all the way around?

Again, thanks in advance for all the replies I'll hopefully get.

as far as I remember... No. You can't move the presets around. Also with the pedal it has the two stomp switches on the front. Bottom one is go up a preset or HOLD DOWN to go down a preset. The top switch is bypass and both together is the tuner. Actually I might have the top and bottom ones the wrong way around but basically if you're on preset 7 and want to be on preset 2 you have to hold your foot down on the switch while it slowly ticks backwards to it.

• Members

ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pub/pdfs/Discontinued/Manuals/XP300.pdf

Yes, you can store 6 of your favorite presets in User Mode.

Archived