OT: Who Will Be The President?

Player99

• Members

Yeah - why can't we vote for the second most powerful person in the world?

I still can't believe anyone actually think Romney has the slightest chance. Any president, no matter how hated, has about a 90% chance of re-election. And I think to qualify for that 10% they have to be dead.

Contemporary candidates though, start at johnson, 5 have not finished two terms, no one was killed either. Thats over 50%. Have not servered two full terms. Regan, bush jr. and clinton are the only chumps to pull that off.

Or just go from when we have been fifty states . Still 50% didn't make it the full two terms, only one dead in that count too...

• Members

Totally see your point, and of course I was exaggerating. Still, from your count - Nixon didn't lose an election, Ford was never elected in the first place. Maybe I'm just pretty stubborn and naive about this, but I think psychologically it takes a lot for a president to not win an election. I mean - Bush got re-elected, I may be out of touch, but surely he was a hell of a lot less popular than Obama?

• Members

Totally see your point, and of course I was exaggerating. Still, from your count - Nixon didn't lose an election, Ford was never elected in the first place. Maybe I'm just pretty stubborn and naive about this, but I think psychologically it takes a lot for a president to not win an election. I mean - Bush got re-elected, I may be out of touch, but surely he was a hell of a lot less popular than Obama?

Yeah, it takes a lot, sure. Carter and HW Bush were the most recent, its not like its ancient history. look at HW Bush: 35 day swift victory in Iraq, Berlin wall comes down, loses the election to a virtual nobody with numerous sex scandals. I mean, I actually think Obama is going to win. But Romney has more than a good chance to actually win, Obama in no way could phone it in.

• Members

Hating Obama seems to be a religion for some people.

• Members

Fun little fact: republicans haven't won the presidential election without a bush or nixon on the ticket since 1928.

I was going to say Reagan, but Bush was his VP. What about Eisenhower?

Edit, I see it was Nixon. But Herbert Hoover was President in 1929 - 1933 with Charles Curtis as the VP.

• Members

2 things

1) Nate Silver is the man and probably kept me from losing my mind trying to interpret all the media static and {censored}-ass polling half of the pollsters did (why the hell do news networks even bother with Gallup anymore?)

2) Neither candidate mentioned the NHL lockout in their victory/concession speech. for shame.

• Members

Bain Capital used private equity to buy up the Hartford Whalers, Winnipeg Jets and Quebec Nordiques, cut their costs and loaded them with debt to make them 'look good' and dumped the stock for a profit before they went bankrupt. They all got outsourced to rinks in the Southern US where poor hockey players were willing to work for half the wages. I will never forgive Romney for that.

• Members

2 things

1) Nate Silver is the man and probably kept me from losing my mind trying to interpret all the media static and {censored}-ass polling half of the pollsters did (why the hell do news networks even bother with Gallup anymore?)

2) Neither candidate mentioned the NHL lockout in their victory/concession speech. for shame.

Yeah Nate Silver is the real deal apparently. He's predicted the 2008 election correctly, the Republican takeover correctly in 2010, and with this election, he called all 50 states correctly.

Contrast this to Dick Morris on Fox News who said, don't listen to these people, they're all wrong. Romney will win in a landslide, probably 5-10% points more. Haha. Fat stupid {censored}. Nate, the real deal.

Archived