Which speakers for incoming '67 Bandmaster?

delayed delay

• Members

I'm pretty unfamiliar with which speakers to pair with a Bandmaster, and I'm thinking I want a 2x12 cab to go with the BM... So which speakers would you peeps recommend? Maybe Jensens of some sort? Hoping to not have to spend a whole lot, but I'm open to suggestions...

The Bandmaster is only 4 ohms speaker out... Just for reference. wave.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by delayed delay

View Post

Also a crapload more than I wanna spend at the moment.

They are definitely not cheap. Consider an open back 2x10, though - I think it really complements the amp well. Very punchy and surprisingly good bass.

• Members

View Post

Also a crapload more than I wanna spend at the moment.

They are definitely not cheap. Consider an open back 2x10, though - I think it really complements the amp well. Very punchy and surprisingly good bass.

View Post

Anything wrong with the Jensen ceramic series?

No... other than the fact that they're not vintage Jensens. The reissues are decent, but the originals are legendary. Still, I purchased a C10R from a local store (OC Speaker) to go into my Princeton Amp as a stopgap measure until I could order a Weber for it. It's been a few years now, and the Jensen RI is still in there. I was frankly a bit surprised by it - especially in light of the fact that I had read some rather unkind reviews of the reissues. The reviews are correct in that the RI is not a clone of the old ones, but they still sound pretty good IMO. Efficiency is in the 95-96dB @ 1W / 1m range, which is decent, but not spectacular, so if you're looking for "LOUD", you may want to look elsewhere and try to get something in the 101-103dB @ 1W / 1m range.

View Post

Anything wrong with the Jensen ceramic series?

No... other than the fact that they're not vintage Jensens. The reissues are decent, but the originals are legendary. Still, I purchased a C10R from a local store (OC Speaker) to go into my Princeton Amp as a stopgap measure until I could order a Weber for it. It's been a few years now, and the Jensen RI is still in there. I was frankly a bit surprised by it - especially in light of the fact that I had read some rather unkind reviews of the reissues. The reviews are correct in that the RI is not a clone of the old ones, but they still sound pretty good IMO. Efficiency is in the 95-96dB @ 1W / 1m range, which is decent, but not spectacular, so if you're looking for "LOUD", you may want to look elsewhere and try to get something in the 101-103dB @ 1W / 1m range.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

I'm not too worried about "loud"... Just a pair of speakers that sound great and compliment the amp.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

I'm not too worried about "loud"... Just a pair of speakers that sound great and compliment the amp.

• Members

The C12K is very crisp and clean, as it's 100 watts, 99.1 dB. Lotsa bottom end, too.
So I wouldn't expect any speaker breakup from a 40 watt amp, but you should be able to crank that Bandmaster without killing a speaker. The 50 watters (C12N?) might be more forgiving, and probably closer to what Fender put in originally.

• Members

The C12K is very crisp and clean, as it's 100 watts, 99.1 dB. Lotsa bottom end, too.
So I wouldn't expect any speaker breakup from a 40 watt amp, but you should be able to crank that Bandmaster without killing a speaker. The 50 watters (C12N?) might be more forgiving, and probably closer to what Fender put in originally.

Archived