Anyone have a Black Pearl Distortion?

NITEFLY182

• Members

oh it's great. i had one and it had this really awesome "flamethrower and round saw" type sound and it did chords really well, but it was a bit too much for me and i thought my bbjr had a more distinct character for playing melodies

• Members

Okay cool.

With that said, assuming the tone is identical, prepare to destroy everything living thing around you with that pedal.

Flick on your neck pickup and shake the foundation of a building. Watch you speakers though. I think I have damaged mine with the Pickle (a Mesa 4x12).

• Members

Im just planning to use it for muff-like deliciousness since my amp isn't set for mid-scoopedness. I have to be able to get my Cherub Rock jones at any time
;)

No Cherub Rock with the Black Pearl! People have the wrong idea about the Swollen Pickle. Yes it's a Muff but it's soooooooo much more scooped. If you play loud with it for a while it actually messes with you hearing. The bass frequencies are that low! I have to stop playing for a while to be able to dial in my other gear.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Woah, blast from the past!

Well, the BP is much more rare. ;) And if you get a SwankBox one, they're pretty damn cool looking (if I do say so myself).

img0686.jpg

The mkII is actually not that much bigger than these. Those Way Huge cases are pretty small...

In terms of other differences, I made a few of them with mids-toggle switches, but most of them just have the classic Swollen Pickle scooped tone stack. The mkII has a few more tone-shaping options than the original had (a couple of extra knobs on the front).

• Members

I'm in the process of trading for one now, but if it's unusable..

If its the only dirt you plan on using then you may get along fine. If you plan on also using amp drive or another dirt pedal you wont be able to switch back and forth between them without waiting literally a half an hour. Im not saying its a bad pedal. Its just not conducive to use with other dirt pedals in the same session.

• Members

Ha... It's far from unusable. And I'm not just saying that as the builder... I stopped making these things almost two years ago, so I have nothing to gain or lose from promoting it.

It's just a very distinctive sound.

A lot of people hype up the Swollen Pickle because Billy Corgan used one, then they're disappointed when it doesn't offer to father their children.

I happen to think it sounds pretty damn amazing (that's why I reverse-engineered it), but a lot of people try it out and don't like the mid-scoop (which is characteristic of a Big Muff, but even more pronounced on the Pickle).

Anyway, if the one you're getting has a mid-switch, then you have nothing to worry about (that's a feature I started adding later because people are accustomed to the TS-9 mid-hump).

If it doesn't have a mid-switch, it still sounds awesome, but it's also pretty distinctive. Meaning that some people love it and some people hate it... there seems to be little in-between.

Not unusable by any means. It just depends on what you want it to do.

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived