Any Traynor YBA-1 owners?

boytbpc

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thom

View Post

Not gonna quote all the pics, though they're damn nice to look at. Impressive collection you got there. Slightly off-topic question, srry: Tell me more about the georgious sunburst strat if you don't mind. Vintage? Custom shop? Partscaster? I'd love another strat one day, but I'm sooooo picky about the aesthetics it's not even funny. Yours pretty much meets my needs, depending on the neck profile and radius.

That strat is a parts guitar. All Parts nitro finished neck/body, 60s style headstock and stuff. It is a beautiful guitar and one of my favorites. I have an ashtray bridge and some really nice pups in it

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by HotRats

View Post

Not trying to hijack the thread, but what are you YBA owners using for OD?

I've been using a Tech 21 Leeds for my favorite OD. This amp takes every pedal well. Just got a Mooer Hustle Drive today, that also sounds great for OD. It's only a matter of preference. The Joyo Sweet Baby sounded good, too (but too much mids for me).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thom

View Post

No sh*t? I've got more patience than money, no problem there. So I just keep checking ebay till I get lucky? No jacked up prices due to the lousy availability?

I paid 400 Euros shipped for an YGM-3 last year, which I think is a fair price. Prepare to pay a little more for an YBA-1. They ARE rare, but at least on the mainland people still don't really care for them as far as I can tell.

• Members

I rock a ss/bs {censored} Overdrive. It is quite an amazing sounding pedal, especially with my Hiwatt/Traynor amps.

I was just about to say the {censored} is the first on my list to try. I've never really used a pedal for OD but there's a really great demo on youtube of a Danocaster through a {censored} into a Hiwatt and the tone is inspiring.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HotRats

View Post

I was just about to say the {censored} is the first on my list to try. I've never really used a pedal for OD but there's a really great demo on youtube of a Danocaster through a {censored} into a Hiwatt and the tone is inspiring.

I know exactly the demo you're talking about it does sound great. I have a similar playing style to that guy too and after watching it realized a forumite in my town was selling one, biggest no brainer ever. Seriously, I haven't found a sound I didn't like with that sucker.

• Members

I know exactly the demo you're talking about it does sound great. I have a similar playing style to that guy too and after watching it realized a forumite in my town was selling one, biggest no brainer ever. Seriously, I haven't found a sound I didn't like with that sucker.

Haha after you mentioned you had a Hiwatt I thought maybe it was you. I just emailed Brian about ordering a Mini and he had one to send out so he's shipping tomorrow. Can't wait play with it. I don't think I've seen one bad thing written about it (mini or full size).

• Members

I don't think they sound anything like any Bassman I ever heard. Marshall, maybe.

I have one I bought around 1990 for $50, modded it for bass to eliminate its signature sound, and haven't tried to turn on for about 10 years. I'd be better off trying to get my $10 Custom Special (130W) back to stock, once nicknamed the "Ominous Bitch" due to its weight.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Hey Joshmac!

I actually bought that YBA from you this past summer, and yes this was all in Ottawa. It was actually pretty mangled when you sold it to me and most definitely not original as you said. The 7027a power tubes had been swapped for 6L6s, and there were a few modification. Also a resistor that regulates the voltage going to 1 of the power tubes was burned up and snipped from the circuit completely. My tech was astounded that it even powered up!

How's the Garnet Lil' Rock working out for you?

I still own the YBA and the 2x15, and use it for guitar and bass all the time. The speakers aren't the greatest in the cabinet but they sound pretty good for stoner rock with either the YBA or my Vox AC30.

And OP: I believe I tradedyou a Traynor YSR-1 for your Polychorus and some cash recently, I saw you also flipped it almost immediately lol.

Archived