OT: Has anyone heard of this Brian Rabey guy? What a dick!

plaid_emu

• Members

I recently listed a TASCAM Portastudio on Ebay and got this lovely message this morning:

JEEEZUSS! You're a bit sensitive aren't you? It's like I personally insulted you because I wish to legally protect myself from foreign con-artists. I never said anything about smelly Canadians! I simply said "SHIPS ONLY WITHIN THE CON-US". Let me tell you a little story: My father once auctioned an extremely high-end, professional camera on ebay. The winning bid was from someone in Europe and the cost of the camera was nearly $2,000. After he waited a couple days to ship the item, he was literally about to walk out the door to the UPS store when he got an email notification from PayPal. It was alerting him that he SHOULD NOT send the item because the winning bid was from a hijacked account. If he would've sent that camera he would've had little to no legal recourse to recover the money or the camera. PayPal only offers limited seller protection especially when it involves disputes in foreign territories. It's likely he would've not been able to completely recover the funds, about $1,000 - $1,500 worth. You know, you're also going about this the wrong way. Maybe if you would've politely explained that bit about your background and reassured me you were a legitimate buyer in Canada, I would've likely shipped it to you. But since

you were a total asshole about it, just forget it. And BTW assholes like you don't deserve to even be in the same room with people like Zappa. I think Ted Nugent would've been a better interviewee for your kind.

I honestly don't know all the details about seller protection and foreign borders. Mostly, I only ship in the US to avoid the excessive shipping costs and the massive flood of unintelligible questions and Nigerian emails I get wanting to pay me $4,000 more than the item is worth so I can transfer the extra funds to some bank account.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The real reason I personally have a continental-ship-only policy (in most cases) is the insane custom fees you typically find on electronics.

If someone insists, I have no problem with international shipping, but I have to prepare the person and tell them to expect to pay an additional $80-$100 in import fees. This is perhaps not as big a deal on a $3000 new keyboard, but it *is* a big deal when you are buying, say, a $150 TX16W sampler.

• Members

It can be frustrating living next door to the USA (about 6 miles from the bridge in my case) and see the good deals you have that are not easily available to us. (OTOH, we get your pollution for free.) That said, it can be done if you care enough--hire a US broker to receive and process it.

Rabey's response is puzzling. No part of Canada is "an hour outside of New York" City. Maybe he means he's an hour from the border, but who cares? And who cares about his project in the context of an ebay sale?

Your response was way over the top; rude and pointless--especially the end. You need to apply the 24-hour rule. Before you respond to something that upsets you, you should wait 24 hours and then edit for proper manners. And I have no idea why you think we want to share this silly dispute. Are you an adult?

• Members

Your response was way over the top; rude and pointless--especially the end. You need to apply the 24-hour rule. Before you respond to something that upsets you, you should wait 24 hours and then edit for proper manners. And I have no idea why you think we want to share this silly dispute. Are you an adult?

My response was only "way over the top" because his accusations and reasoning was even more "over the top". I only "shared" it because, as you pointed out: "And who cares about his project in the context of an ebay sale?"

I thought it was extremely odd he would bring his professional projects into his silly argument considering that being a "people person" is generally a prerequisite to embarking on such a career. I just wanted to know if anyone's actually heard of this guy? Is he some kind of semi-celeb in the music biography/publication field? Does he think he deserves to be such an asshole because he once asked Frank Zappa a few questions and wrote them down?

• Members

I have actually found that if I put in my auctions "I SHIP TO CANADA!" things almost always sell there. I make it clear that customs are their problem, and that I ship USPS because it makes the shipping easier/cheaper on my end. So long as they are paypal certified I have not run into any problems.

• Members

I have sold and shipped lots of stuff to Canada, no problem. When I was dumping my power cards from Magic the Gathering I sold a whole lot of cards - pretty much a full set of dual lands - to a couple of guys in Canada - worth enough to buy a (used) American Delux Strat (a beautiful guitar but now sold to someone else, LOL). The guy could live in Fort Erie and be a 2 minute drive across the Peace Bridge from Buffalo. He said an hour from New York, probably state line and not New York City. Back in my college days we used to drive over to Fort Erie all the time for a few cases of beer (one case per person duty free). You know the Rush song lyrics "Better people, better food, better beer"? Well we at least thought the beer part was appropriate.

I agree his message was pretty rude but I would have just responded that the listing only said that I ship to continental US. No reason to burn bridges. Also no reason to buy his books, if he is legit.

• Members

What an asshole! Another artist full of himself and thinks the world owes him something because he is six degrees removed from someone famous forgetting everyone else is too.

Isnt it obvious that when people only sell within their own country like I do for exactly the same reasons Plaid Emu does, its for financial protection and security?

I just dont understand why he would take such pompous and foolish perspective. Like you said, you probably would have dealt with him had he been decent.

Must be the snooty French side in him -

"No No No! You must zell to zis me! Do you know who I am? Yes? I am za great Brian Rabey, writer of not jus one, but du Ian Anderson book, Yes! What you think, Hun? I am zome smelly French-Canadian or somezing?"

(Just having some fun with the French thing guys. Couldnt resist. No offense please.)

• Members

What an asshole! Another artist full of himself and thinks the world owes him something because he is six degrees removed from someon famous forgetting everyone else is too.

He could have had some fun in replying. Here are some good responses for future use:

I played air bass for Milli Vanilli

I drive Jo(h)n Voigt's car (Seinfeld)

I once knew a guy who had a friend whose neighbor knew the drummer from Foghat.

I went to school with a Ralph Zappa.

I have a friend named Ian.

I watched the grammy awards when Tull won "best heavy metal" act.

I played the flute in high school.:lol:

• Members

i once got a kiss from genesis p-orridge.

Well, I never got a kiss from Kiefer. One night though (he slept in the bunk above me) he got out and, in climbing down, stepped on my foot, which was sticking through the ladder. I woke in huge pain and howled, waking and frightening everyone in the cabin.

Archived