The "Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai" Lounge

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by anti-flag193

View Post

The SMMH is going back. Can't get rid of the volume and tone suckage unless I put it in front of the amp, and then the repeats are all distorted and sound like {censored}. It really doesn't seem to be able to do that much more than the DD-20, besides the reverse looping and octave changes, and the flanger-ish sounds.

That's a bummer. Like with all EHX products, everyone's rig seems to interact differently. I haven't had any volume or tone issues at all.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever

View Post

I'm running in front of two vintage Fenders - very different rig and configuration; but I'm not getting any distorted repeats or anything like that idn_smilie.gif

Yeah, when i ran it in front, turned the gain down and the volume up it sounded nice, but I play with gain so it has to go in the loop. Oh well..

• Members

Fender&EHX4ever, in your "SMMH_Demo1" soundclip, I'm assuming the washy delay around 0:05 is the SMMH, right? What mode would that be in? I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I'm GASing pretty hard for it. Also, does anyone know if the SMMH looper can be triggered single-shot to produce Minus the Bear-esque stutters?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by XanaduNEX

View Post

Fender&EHX4ever, in your "SMMH_Demo1" soundclip, I'm assuming the washy delay around 0:05 is the SMMH, right? What mode would that be in?

Hi XanaduNEX! From what I remember, the settings were close to this.

Hazarai = Echo 300ms + Mod

Blend = 1:00

Decay = 3:00

Filter = 12:00

Repeats = 11:00

Delay = Clockwise maximum

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever

View Post

From what I remember, the settings were close to this...

Awesome, thanks! The sound clips are brilliant, just the kinds of sounds I was chasing. I guess that seals it, I'll have to get in on this SMMH business! thumb.gif

• Members

There is a definite volume drop- anyone who says it isn't that bad isn't paying attention. Nothing worse than playing with a band, kick in some delay for a fat lead and your volume goes down.

The delay sound to me isn't that great, sounds pretty thin digital. The tone controls, however, are excellent and make up for the basic sound.

You can fade out the looper by setting the feedback low and holding down overdub- works pretty well. Of coursr you can also work the mix knob.

This is a really unique delay- it will NOT replace your utility delay do to the volume drop and basic delay tone. But it will be an excellent textural delay for the right moments. Not going on my board, but definitely in my arsenal.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by g-nem

View Post

There is a definite volume drop- anyone who says it isn't that bad isn't paying attention. Nothing worse than playing with a band, kick in some delay for a fat lead and your volume goes down.

The delay sound to me isn't that great, sounds pretty thin digital. The tone controls, however, are excellent and make up for the basic sound.

You can fade out the looper by setting the feedback low and holding down overdub- works pretty well. Of coursr you can also work the mix knob.

This is a really unique delay- it will NOT replace your utility delay do to the volume drop and basic delay tone. But it will be an excellent textural delay for the right moments. Not going on my board, but definitely in my arsenal.

I agree with this.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by g-nem

View Post

There is a definite volume drop- anyone who says it isn't that bad isn't paying attention.

I'm content to agree that someone else's rig experiences a volume drop with this pedal, but mine simply doesn't, and it isn't because I'm not paying attention.

If I set the Blend knob even a hair past 12:00, yes I will experience a volume drop with the original signal. But when the Blend knob is

• Members

Today I decided to sell my SMMH. Hard decision but there are too many issues with it. Uncomfortable looping, too digital sound, bad live accessability. Not sure what to have instead. I also want to get rid of the Headrush E2, good looper but crappy psu/tone problems.

Maybe a DL4 + RV-3. And perhaps replace the Ibanez DDL with a dark E600? freak.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by neoflox

View Post

Today I decided to sell my SMMH. Hard decision but there are too many issues with it. Uncomfortable looping, too digital sound, bad live accessability. Not sure what to have instead. I also want to get rid of the Headrush E2, good looper but crappy psu/tone problems.

Maybe a DL4 + RV-3. And perhaps replace the Ibanez DDL with a dark E600? freak.gif

Go with a DD-20 man

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by theincredible

View Post

Just got my SMMH today. Seems like it has potential, but I have an issue with it.

When I put it into bypass, I get a HUGE pop. First time I bypassed, I thought something came unplugged or shorted. Happens every time I go to bypass.

Anyone else have this problem?

I didn't notice a HUGE pop, but there was a small pop. It did add some weird pulsing static hiss to my rig though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by anti-flag193

View Post

I didn't notice a HUGE pop, but there was a small pop. It did add some weird pulsing static hiss to my rig though.

Definitely HUGE on mine. I have some effects that have a minor click or pop when engaged, but this is loud. The bypass switch is very stiff compared to the loop/tempo switch. Takes some effort to get the bypass switch to go down. Not circus strongman effort, but a solid push. The loop/tempo on the other hand is like every normal switch I've used.

All the talk and samples here really made this pedal sound slick. I'm on hold now with MF to get it returned.

Bummer.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by theincredible

View Post

Definitely HUGE on mine. I have some effects that have a minor click or pop when engaged, but this is loud. The bypass switch is very stiff compared to the loop/tempo switch. Takes some effort to get the bypass switch to go down. Not circus strongman effort, but a solid push. The loop/tempo on the other hand is like every normal switch I've used.

All the talk and samples here really made this pedal sound slick. I'm on hold now with MF to get it returned.

Bummer.

Yeah, I got mine Tuesday and returned it today. I ran it through the loop and hated the volume drop and my tone just turned to mush when engaged no matter what. I'll stick with my DD-20/ DE7 combo!thumb.gif

• Members

Maybe a DL4 + RV-3. And perhaps replace the Ibanez DDL with a dark E600?

I think I'm going to do the same thing, but have a dd-20 + rv-3. Hopefully a SIB mr. echo / freakshow digilog (when I figure out the difference between the two) to go in there as well. Perhaps even an re-20 + rv-3. We'll see.

Either way, I don't think I'm keeping the SMMH. I just don't click with it. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Also, the other day I had the effects like this:

SMMH->dd-6->VL 4-knob trem

When I had my trem on and I turned the SMMH on a basic 400 ms or so delay it suddenly made the sound really... hollow?... and added some sort of modulation to it. It was pretty ugly. I tried turning the dd-6 on with the trem and my sound stayed the same (what I would have expected).

Just a heads up, incase any of you guys get the same problem/need to have tremolo after the SMMH. It COULD be the trem, but I think not seeing as it worked fine with the dd-6.

Fender&ehx, have you tried putting the pulsar post-SMMH? If so, anything odd happen when they were both on? Just curious- your SMMH seems to be the best of the bunch. tongue.gif

• Members

What the hell is going on here???? I see A LOT of people who were gung ho for the SMMH and now, well now it's, "I have/will take it back".

What.... the.... eff?

I have a major issue with any EHX pedal in my FX Loop. There's just something WE'RE doing wrong. In my pre amp chain, it's pure gold. I love the dog mess outta my pedals. The only pedal I have in the Loop is the TU-2. With no volume drop on it either. So, I dunno about tone/volume issues with the SMMH, but I think those who don't think this pedal is the absolute t!ts needs to sit back, relax, and tweak! Mayne...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarrocka205

View Post

What the hell is going on here???? I see A LOT of people who were gung ho for the SMMH and now, well now it's, "I have/will take it back".

What.... the.... eff?

I have a major issue with any EHX pedal in my FX Loop. There's just something WE'RE doing wrong. In my pre amp chain, it's pure gold. I love the dog mess outta my pedals. The only pedal I have in the Loop is the TU-2. With no volume drop on it either. So, I dunno about tone/volume issues with the SMMH, but I think those who don't think this pedal is the absolute t!ts needs to sit back, relax, and tweak! Mayne...

confused.gif We're doing something wrong by putting a delay(which is a very common effect to put in the loop) in the loop? It's has nothing to do with tweaking. I messed with all the knobs and nothing would fix the tone suckage and volume drop, something my DD-5, DD-6, DD-20 and DE7 don't do. It just sounded so fake. It might be "pure gold" for you but for people who use some gain and don't like distorted and harsh repeats, the loop is the only way to run a delay.

Archived