Kurzweil K2000 and Roland JD-800/JD-990 Best analog sounding digitals ever???

AnalogGuy

• Members

Hmmm... no love for the EX5 or EX7? The Yamaha EX series are incredibly warm and expressive (especially with it's second mod wheel).

My Ex7 's pads are comparable to my JD990, and its synth strings sound even better than my PC3.

And it's a bit surprising to me that EX 's best sounds are all sample based instead of "AN', or "FDSP".

• Members

Now I can add to this warm/analogish synth-list my next synth; Generalmusic S3 turbo

I sold my Kurzweil... for 400 euros! :lol:

I can say that was my salary of 3 days hard working for fixing the keyboard :thu:

And so I bought GEM S3 turbo instead. And because it is also one of those very few 90' synths with ram to load own samples... it is really comparable even to Kurzweil... but the main reason to buy this was Polyphonic aftertouch and that's really THE reason why it stands out from every other synth of it's time! Anyway I paid 500 euros for it, almost mint. Not too many of these are around for sale... specially turbo versions.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I've had a JD-800 for about half a year now and I am totally into it. It can be terrifying and awe-inspiring beautiful and all in between. Being digital, the analog tones are always stable and fat. It offers huge potential in designing sounds, it's basically "DCOs" (waveforms) + subtractive synthesis. I find it is very addicting. It is so easy to make huge, powerful, smooth sounds.

I sold my microKorg because I finally could not get over the tiny keys as I decided to learn some proper keyboard technique and stuff. Maybe I will try a MS2000b some day. Now I have the JD's 61 full size keys with spongy keyboard action. The JD-800 sounds incredible. Make sure you check it out before you buy one, if you want to get one. Because there can be issues. For example, with aftertouch.

I have also played a Korg Karma before and I liked it. But I mainly was using it as a preset synth and didn't get really into the programming.

• Members

If I want the VA sound, I think the An1X is better - it might be the most underrated VA of them all (if you can get past the crappy UI, of course.

I recently picked up an AN200 which I'm looking forward to playing with. (As I understand it, the An1X is basically a pair of AN200s and a keyboard.)

Other good analog-sounding modern synths: Creamware Minimax ASB, and probably the Plugiator which supposedly has the same underlying engine... more versatile, but shy on knobs.

• Members

Kurzweil sounds like analog?

Well, at least my PC3 sounds pretty digital to my ears (it's so clean sounding)... And certainly the filters are different from roland and korg for example. I don't think that they sound like analog, but I have never owned analogue filter. TBH I do like more different types of filters on the board, but nothing wrong with it(I think the PC3 filter is the same as K2600). Nord filter probably lands ahead though.

I very much doubt K2000 can come anywhere near analog, first of it uses samples... And if it doesn't then there is huge aliasing wall.

• Members

Well, at least my PC3 sounds pretty digital to my ears (it's so clean sounding)... And certainly the filters are different from roland and korg for example. I don't think that they sound like analog, but I have never owned analogue filter. TBH I do like more different types of filters on the board, but nothing wrong with it(I think the PC3 filter is the same as K2600). Nord filter probably lands ahead though.

I very much doubt K2000 can come anywhere near analog, first of it uses samples... And if it doesn't then there is huge aliasing wall.

It is a digital synth, it will never sound like a true analog. However, have you ever tried this?

Kurzweil%20K2000%20Best%20of%20Analog%20

it sounds like this

ARP OMNI

MATRIX 12 REZ 5

STRING MACHINE 1

etc. etc.

• Members

two of the best synths out there... but not analog really. It's not the point.

I can take the JD-800 set it to Fat Square.. and tweak the filter ENV with a band pass filter... and instantly get sound that an analog or FM would never get close to, and still be just as thick, fat, present, etc.

The severe lack of PWM on the JD-800 makes it so not analog. I think that's the sole reason the JP-8000 was made. Perfect pair.

• Members

I think when a digital synth has a very strong presence it gets labeled analog and doesn't get attention where it's due... sells digital short. Hence why we only get romplers and V/A's these days in the commercial market,..

btw - whatever happened to the Rozzbox? Vanished?

• Members

Hi guys and thanks for bumping my old thread :thu:

Well, when thinking now, I should have designed the question a bit differently. I didn't exactly meant that digital sounds "analog" but more likely behaves like analog: Very flexible, organic sound with truely original characters. Most of romplers just fails that.

But well well... take a look of mine gear list. Obviously you notice that you were correct about Yamaha's EX line... I was totally blown away because the EX-5® totally competes directly against my JD-990! :love::love::love::love:

I was so surprised about EX-5r that I immediately posted this video:

[YOUTUBE]gKJsiObwONI[/YOUTUBE]

And my regards to AfroRouge. I totally agree his opinion that the debate about digital vs. analog is more or less pointless... it's about the expression and color of sounds that counts on my studio. That's why you can see that I have something of "everything": Both Analog and digital AND Acoustic as well! I was fortunately enough lucky to be able to get Yamaha CP-60M which is far more rare than it's baby grand models. Besides it's the only model that can fit my room! "Studio"? Well, it's just my own room where I am sleeping as well... talk about the space, not so easy task to arrange everything into my room! :lol:

• Members

I think there is sound differences between Kurzweil's older K2000/2500/2600 and their newer synths... althought still had no chance to try them yet. Just listen Paolo's K2000 sound files. I'm sure you'll agree that they are just fabulous and have very very warm and organic tone!

http://www.synthmania.com/k2000_v3.htm

• Members

Based on my experience, I found K2000 and JD990 best digital synths money can buy. Period.

Owned both, sold them for some reasons, but will get them back. Along side my gorgeous EX5, that'll be the ultimate digital heaven.

• Members

I love my K2vx! I played an outdoor gig a few days ago and received a nice compliment from another keys player. He said he never heard one sound like that before. I told him I tweaked my own patches. That is what I love about this machine the most! Very unique and I love it's warm sound vs. the more transparent clean sound of the K2661 I used to have.

• Members

I bought a JD-800 when they came out and just sold it about a year ago. Although before I did that I bought a used JD-990 so I could still have use of the many years of programming I did on the JD-800 and put onto ram cards. I love those sounds for the kind of ambient music I do, and I'm sure I'll never get rid of the JD-990. I also have a K2000 rack module with lots of 3rd party samples. It's an amazing synth as well, although for some reason, I haven't gotten into using it nearly as much as the Roland. It's incredibly deep and the learning curve can be a bit intimidating for serious programming.

However, as my user name implies, I'm a huge fan of the Korg Karma and it has been the basis for my last three CD's, including the one in my avatar. It's probably my all-time favorite synth, although since getting an M3 module, the Karma may have some competition for that title.

• Members

They sound nice, but looking at the videos (clean recorded ones included) I think I would prefer them with better converters.

Converters give the "timbre" of a synth to a certain extent; no doubt on that, but if you have less space and only mediocre amount of cash, I would go for more modern alternatives, preferably with a digital output (on the digital side).

There was a topic about a company who modified the converters on synths. Too bad there is no one similar in the place I live.

If a synth has lo fi characterization (option for lowering the sampling rate etc) that would suffice to a degree IMHO.

Perhaps getting "analog" like sounds from VA's is not the biggest concern for me. I like VA's for their own character.

This my humble experience on older boards.

• Members

I'll keep this short 'cause I'm at work, but I think you have a good ear for synths. Although there are many other synths I'd like to own, The Roland JD-990 and Kurzweil (I have the 2661) are VERY good sounding instruments. They don't sound exactly like analog synths, but can be very "warm" sounding in their own right.

I consider myself very picky when it comes to the instruments I select to use, and these two play an important role in my music.

JD990 is a thing of beauty.

Kurzweils I always like for their strings and acoustic sims myself.

Oddly enough I live the sound of the MS2000 and the DWGS waveforms but then I wouldn't use it as a strict analog emulation either and personal feel the OP's original post is a bit harsh on it myself.

Then again I adore the Prophecy too (still own one) and would like to own a K5000S again in the future along with an Emu Morpheus or Audity 2000.

I don't always view the analog sound as the pinnacle of all there is to admire in synthesis and the JD990 could do a lot more besides that too.

Different courses for different horses I guess.

Archived