Pedals that go well with Twin Reverb

RobRomano

• Members

So I just bought a Silverface '75 Twin Reverb that sounds amazing. I cant really get the tubes to break up enough for a good distortion so I'm thinking what is a good fuzz or overdrive pedal that goes well with this amp. I am very into the vintage fuzz sound, Hendrix/Cream type of tones, maybe something that sounds like early Sabbath. 

looking for pedals in the 100-250 price range

Any suggestions?

• Members

The TR is such a big, high-headroom, clean palatte.

I would definitely forget the "sounds great pushing an amp already on th eedge of breakup"-type pedals. You just can't push a Twin in to breakup short of ear-damaging levels. Especially if it's a 70's Ultralinear model.

You might try one of the Catalinbread foundation pedals (CB20, 5F6, RAH, WIIO, etc ), and then push that box with a simple fuzz.Or if you're into early brit-tones, try a CB Galileo (kinda like a CB30 + Naga Viper treble boost).

Another possibility is to try a MojoHand Rook Royale (a Rook plus a EP3 boost front end).

For Fuzz, a MojoHand Colossus or Iron Bell? Maybe a CB Merkin?

• Members

Try the mad professor Ruby Red Booster if you want that cranked break up sound that you are after..

the fulltone fat boost is good light crisp od sound.

As for distortion, any rat, will sound great.

And the fulltone 69/70 are great and really allow you to use that type of sound and mesh with the fender twin big and clean.

• Members

Thanks guys. So I'm definitely getting some sort of booster, I was thinking the Fulldrive 2 or Tubescreamer, which do you guys prefer (and why obviously haha) 

I'm playing in a bluesy psychedelic/garage rock kind of band. I would like something that is semi-clean but has just enough grit. I want it to be powerful yet cohesive. I am a big fan of the gritty tones of some 60s electric blues bands, namely Magic Sam's tone (amazing blues man if you havent heard of him).

I'm probably going to end up buying a seperate fuzz too, probably a Black Cat Super Fuzz or something along those lines, although I feel that most fuzz pedals tend to sound the same, I was looking for something with a little more variety.

• Members

I used to have an original fulldrive 2 (with the pull knob). I really miss it, I also had a tube screamer reissue ts9... it was okay, but the fulldrive was much better sounding imo. Plus you get a boost with it, which is automatically much more useful (despite only working when the OD is on). 

• Members

Check out the Barber Burn Unit EQ. You can go from Boogie, to Fender, to Vox to Marshal style overdrives. Amazing pedal. The secret is the dynamics control. http://www.barberelectronics.com/burnunit.html

"The Burn Unit delivers some of the most sought after tones ever! By using unique circuitry and implementing a dynamics control which is continuously variable, the great tones of the past, present and future are available to the discriminating guitarist. Users can dial in explosive pick attack with total note definition which resolves chords as harmonically rich as 13ths and maj7's with absolute clarity! The Burn Unit can also create a fat semi-clean boost which will warm up even the coldest of amplifiers while providing a walloping punch in level !!"

• Members

The Snapperhead

www.synapticgroove.com

sg-snaphead-1.jpg

Simple.  Highly effective.  Vastly different.

The goal was to create a unit that would inspire others to create at a price point that, not only the pros, but the weekend warriors could afford.

Peter Stroud, Robin Finck, Nick Perri, Richard Fortus...etc are playing it and loving it.

There are a lot of good boxes out there man.  Find the one that channels your heart through your hands and you'll be set!

Cheers,

Benjamin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

lefort_1 wrote:

The TR is such a big, high-headroom, clean palatte.

I would definitely
forget
the "sounds great pushing an amp already on th eedge of breakup"-type pedals. You just can't push a Twin in to breakup short of ear-damaging levels. Especially if it's a 70's Ultralinear model.

You might try one of the Catalinbread foundation pedals (CB20, 5F6, RAH, WIIO, etc ), and then push that box with a simple fuzz.Or if you're into early brit-tones, try a CB Galileo (kinda like a CB30 + Naga Viper treble boost).

Another possibility is to try a MojoHand Rook Royale (a Rook plus a EP3 boost front end).

For Fuzz, a MojoHand Colossus or Iron Bell? Maybe a CB Merkin?

You forgot to recommend the Hot Chili Tubester.

Archived