Building A Guitar Synth Rig

six acre lake

• Members

"Three of a perfect pair" sounds "SUPER" cheesy to you!

WOW I must be WAY out of touch....

I only wish I could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by six acre lake

View Post

Thank You. You just made my point. I am a huge King Crimson fan and those records sound super cheesy and dated. I'll take Starless And Bible Black, Larks Tongue In Aspic, and Red any and all day long.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ruppert

View Post

"Three of a perfect pair" sounds "SUPER" cheesy to you!

WOW I must be WAY out of touch....

I only wish I could do that.

It not about being in touch, it's about taste. As talented as Fripp / Belew are those records seem / sound like bad attempts of commercializing a fantastic, challenging band... As a massive King Crimson fan I see the merit in that record trilogy but it does nothing for me musically, which is obviously subjective.

• Members

For me their musicianship and harmony are a coil I chase daily.

As a massive King Crimson fan I study these albums as a work of art.

I was there when they came out.

My wifes interview of them is included in their box set.

As you said 'taste is subjective" and this is a text book example of subjective.

I personally would save the word 'cheesy" for other things.

Bill

• Members

Have to say +1 on the Bit Commander. The Octasynth is also a good one. In fact your thread inspired me to put this together. Maybe it'll help you with ideas? I'd love to add a Prometheus DLX to this setup as well. The Octasynth has some filtering going on, the Bit Commander less so... I'll have to do a clip of the latter.

• Members

For me their musicianship and harmony are a coil I chase daily.

As a massive King Crimson fan I study these albums as a work of art.

I was there when they came out.

My wifes interview of them is included in their box set.

As you said 'taste is subjective" and this is a text book example of subjective.

I personally would save the word 'cheesy" for other things.

Bill

When I discovered King Crimson, they were disbanded and Fripp was putting out solo albums. Then suddenly this amazing new version of the band appears. Yeah, I have a thing for the crunchy power-trio-core sound of the previous incarnation too. Nothing can replace that. But I also had to applaud Fripp and Bruford taking it somewhere new with complete success. And it wasn't the first time KC had cut ties to most of the previous material and started over.

I can see it somewhat "dated" only in by trying to sound "modern" there is a lot of the the sound of the technology of the time, including a whole lot of Jazz Chorusing going on :evil: .. In every other respect it still seems timeless (especially Discipline) and is beyond most going on even now. Of course there is a difference of taste especially in whether you actually want to listen to it, or just respect it as good. "Dated" is OK, "cheesy" a bit mean.

• Members

It not about being in touch, it's about taste. As talented as Fripp / Belew are those records seem / sound like bad attempts of commercializing a fantastic, challenging band... As a massive King Crimson fan I see the merit in that record trilogy but it does nothing for me musically, which is obviously subjective.

i would agree with you on ToAPP, absolutely, but i like most of Discipline a lot, for example.

• Members

Regarding King Crimson, I didn't go into the subject of Belew's vocals. As a new singer, you're going to either like him or not, I think the good overcame the bad but enough of that. Anyway, regarding the subject of synths, certainly the vocals don't affect some pretty good pioneering of guitar synth use by Crimson and, simultaneously probably not what SAL is looking for. Although with the current Roland stuff set up totally different, who knows? Nice toys but maybe unnecessary.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I use a hybrid guitar (piezo and magnetic pickups) for solo gigs.  I play a solo on one song that I think invokes a funky 70s synth lead tone.  I use an auto wah patch on the acoustic/piezo channel and an octave down on the magnetic channel.  I think it captures the stank in that cool monophonic analog way.  I was looking at that sonuus thing and it looks cool too.  I am not so concerned about poly vs mono.  the coolest keyboard synths were mono anyway.  I think it would be pretty cool to route the guitar into my old CZ101.  Or maybe buy an old yamaha sound module off ebay.

I have a friend who has the roland strat that he uses for solo gigs.  He's a really good fingerstyle player and he has a patch that is acoustic bass on the bottom 2 strings and B3 on the rest.  It sounds pretty amazing as a gimmick.  But it is like a circus act.  "Wow! look at the cat barking like a dog!"  It doesn't seem super musical to me.  However, there are a bunch of patches for nylon and steel string acoustics that sounds way better than my piezo fakery, even run through the zoom a2 Martin D-18 emulator patch.

Archived