Building A Guitar Synth Rig

six acre lake

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

in the description:

Here is a really nice guitar synth setup using the Analogue Systems rs35 module along with 5 other A.S. modules. The rs35 module does a remarkable job of turning the guitar's pitch into CV (control-voltage). There is no MIDI involved in this setup.

The rs35 module is a frequency (or pitch) to voltage converter. It can turn virtually any sound source into "1 volts per octave" allowing you to control an analog synthesizer.

Roger Cordell plays a Strat, first into a Barber Electronics TonePress compressor pedal for improved sustain. The output of the TonePress goes to the low pass filter section of the A.S. rs110 Multimode filter, which rolls off the higher frequencies. This improves the tracking of the rs35.

From there we run the audio into the rs35 'Frequency In'. The rs35's voltage out goes to the rs95 voltage controlled oscillator. We're using various modules to alter the oscillator sound including the rs100 Low Pass filter, the rs120 Comb Filter, and the rs290 voltage controlled digital delay/sampler.

Finally, here is a practical, fairly easy way to play your analog synthesizer with a guitar. Rad!

• Members

I'm still searching for the best synth cab to run my synth into.

It needs bass 810 style low end + guitar 412 mids & highs.

btw bass cabs with horns sound like {censored} when you run fuzz into them.

you can always open them and unplug the horns, which is what i did in mine.

horns {censored}ing suck dude.

• Members

My main problem with the Roland products: their samples sound like ... well, dated. I achieved greater tones with the Roland GI into the Kurzweil ME1 module. Absolutely unpractical for gigs, so I sold everything.

Sometimes I'm still flirting with the idea of including the VK8m module (superior B3 sounds), but that's just a dream for the moment. :)

• Members

never sound right. PA speakers tend to be too clean and transparent

they definitely do suck,

but bass cabs don't have enough high frequency content without them, or is it that bass cabs just use cheap horns?

i don't know... SVT cabinets should use decent horns, if you like to use them, but i {censored}ing hate them no matter how good they are. you should unplug them and re-EQ your amp completely. report back after. should be easy as {censored}.

• Members

My main problem with the Roland products: their samples sound like ... well, dated. I achieved greater tones with the Roland GI into the Kurzweil ME1 module. Absolutely unpractical for gigs, so I sold everything.

Sometimes I'm still flirting with the idea of including the VK8m module (superior B3 sounds), but that's just a dream for the moment.
:)

I don't know what you were using or thinking of using but the GR-55 and VG-99 are unparalleled in the synth category. There is virtually no sound you can't imitate with the VG-99 and the GR-55 is very close to the VG-99. They are not cheap but they are the best you can get.

• Members

The Roland GR-55 looks like a cool system. One could get a double-neck guitar and have the second guitar hooked to the GR-55.

Why would you want to, though? You can simply switch it on and off as desired or required. Am I missing something that should be obvious? It wouldn't be the first time. Nor the last.

Archived