12ax7 power amp??

megajay

• Members

Originally posted by begin_etienne

Check this out:

Looks like a very interesting pedal, it's pretty pricey though, it's too bad he doesn't make one that's just the power amp and not also a distortion pedal/practice amp. I should just ry and make something like that only way simpler.

Thanks for the link!

Jay

• Members

Originally posted by Giga

Isn't the VHT valvulator something like that ?

Giga.

I think the valvulator is just a buffer for running in front of a bunch of pedals, you can't plug it into a cabinet and use it as a power amp.

Jay

• Members

Originally posted by megajay

Looks like a very interesting pedal, it's pretty pricey though, it's too bad he doesn't make one that's just the power amp and not also a distortion pedal/practice amp. I should just ry and make something like that only way simpler.

Thanks for the link!

Jay

Just curious, why having a pre-amp be a problem ?

• Members

Originally posted by PRMike

COuld build the same thing and save money from their $600.

Cool, then PM your friend's contact info to megajay, 600$ is indeed pricey, you could save him a lot of dough.

E-

• Members

Originally posted by yourguitarhero

www.zvexamps.com

Check out the nano amp. I used to have one - they are brilliant. It's everything you just asked for and a little more. I think they are like $400 or something new.

Watch the video on the site.

Craig

Craig, did you get my PMs about the logo?

megajay, Sorry to hijack the thread for a bit.

• Members

Hey, your PMs are full - here's what I ws writing:

yeah, I did.

Sorry I haven't been in touch. things have been really hectic for me, I've been working on our cd, video and site all my spare time. My band are really hard to pin down on this stuff, but we have practice tommorow so I'll button-hole them then.

Have a look on our site: www.deadenstereo.com - you can see the logo we've been using just now.

I'll be in touch soon, I promise!

Craig

• Members

Originally posted by begin_etienne

Just curious, why having a pre-amp be a problem ?

Well, I don't think the preamp is a problem as much as I know that's what is driving up the price of the pedal. If it was strictly a power section then it would be cheaper most likely.

Jay

• Members

www.zvexamps.com

Check out the nano amp. I used to have one - they are brilliant. It's everything you just asked for and a little more. I think they are like $400 or something new.

Craig

I know these guys are pretty bad-ass and I have seen the video but it's made to be the amp and preamp in one. I just want a power amp only, something small and not very loud which can use to plug a PODxt into for "apartment" jamming.

I guess I'm just looking for a very low power, small power amp, maybe something based on a single 6V6 tube or EL-84... I just figured a 12ax7 would be smallest.

I see NITEFLY182 is saying that a 12ax7 cannot be used as a power tube. I know that a 12ax7 is generally used as a preamp tube, but isn't that just because it's best suited for that role in most practical applications? Why couldn't you use it as a power tube for very low power applications? Is it designed very different from a typical power tube? I know that some amps use EL-84's as preamp tubes and they're a common power tube as well.

Jay

• Members

Originally posted by megajay

Does anyone make a small 12ax7 power amp that you could run into a 1x12 cab for low volume stuff, like with a POD or something?

Perhaps someone has a link to a place that has a schematic?

H&K Cream Machine

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

thanks for the link

i love smaller lower powered amps for cranking

same here :) I was working on a firefly (rev3), but it's been put on hold for a while now... I should dig out the old soldering iron again one of these days and try to get around to finishing it up.

FF3.jpg

• Members

How about a little fender Champ or Princeton?

Our company Bonepicker makes a little 8watt power tube amp one 6l6 0r we can do a single EL-84 for more compression!!

Just a little bigger size of a EH Big Muff box with tubes and small transformer and top of the line parts all point to point wired and all tube!! It kicks A-s with a Line 6 POD and or Native instruments, Guitar Rig on my laptop with two running in stereo in the studio!!

Contact jim west at>> www.bonepickerguitaramps.com We have reviews on this sight under amplifiers as well as FX peddles under Bone picker but it is one word in our logo.

• Members

www.zvexamps.com

Craig

that website gives me a hard on!! absolutly amazing gear, check out the ooh wah!!!

oh yeah the nano amp is the bomb!

• Members

Check out the "Heavy Watter" here:

Thundertweak

I have one, its like a 1 Watt SLO, with Gain for DAYS. Uses a 12au7 or 12AT7 as the power tube, has line out and it just smokes.

The Schematic is there, or Ace woudl build you one. I paid him $200 for my rough prototype. Best $$ I EVER spent on an Amp.

Drives a 4x12 loud enough to mic and record.

Archived