Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 is dying!

fitterhappier

• Members

I'm having pretty big problems with my DSL401.

A few weeks ago, the overall volume started dropping. It eventually reached the point where I could have everything cranked up to 10 and it would only sound a little bit louder than a "bedroom practice" kind of level. I used to be able to get the same sort of level at about volume 4.

I originally assumed it was the power valves, as I hadn't replaced them since I bought the amp about a year ago. So I bought some Ei Elite EL84's a few days ago and changed the valves, but this didn't help.

Then yesterday, I turned on my amp, waited for it to warm up, flicked on the standby and struck a chord - but there was no sound. I checked the connections and all the levels, and they were all normal. The power light was on, and I could switch between the channels as usual, but there was just no sound. The only thing I could hear was a very quiet, very low hum, which I could only hear if I press my ear right up against the speaker.

Then I looked in the back of the amp and noticed the valves weren't on!

I changed back to the old power valves, but still no sound. I looked at the HT and mains fuses, and they're both fine.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm hoping it's just something simple and inexpensive, but I've got a scary feeling that could just be wishful thinking.

• Members

My guess would be a faulty preamp tube eventually gave out and caused a fuse to blow. I know you mentioned you checked the HT and mains fuses, BUT I'm thinking there's another one on the circuit board you overlooked. I say this because I had a similar incident with my Marshall JCM 600. Turned the amp on, power indicator lit up, but tubes did not glow at all. I checked the mains fuse and another visible fuse and assumed the fuses weren't the problem, BUT a couple weeks later I did a more thorough investigation of the circuit board and noticed a fuse I overlooked and it was the culprit. Picked up several replacement and popped one in and it's been running fine ever since. I'm giving Marshall the benfit of the doubt in this case. Take another close look at the circuit board and see if you can find another fuse hidden somewhere. Just be careful!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by fitterhappier

A few weeks ago, the overall volume started dropping. It eventually reached the point where I could have everything cranked up to 10 and it would only sound a little bit louder than a "bedroom practice" kind of level. I used to be able to get the same sort of level at about volume 4.

I originally assumed it was the power valves, as I hadn't replaced them since I bought the amp about a year ago. So I bought some Ei Elite EL84's a few days ago and changed the valves, but this didn't help.

Then yesterday, I turned on my amp, waited for it to warm up, flicked on the standby and struck a chord - but there was no sound. I checked the connections and all the levels, and they were all normal. The power light was on, and I could switch between the channels as usual, but there was just no sound. The only thing I could hear was a very quiet, very low hum, which I could only hear if I press my ear right up against the speaker.

I changed back to the old power valves, but still no sound. I looked at the HT and mains fuses, and they're both fine.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm hoping it's just something simple and inexpensive, but I've got a scary feeling that could just be wishful thinking.

1) Did you rebias the amp when you changed the power tubes?

2) Did you look at the fuses, or did you check them with a meter?

3) Do the tubes have a red glow inside (you should only be able to see the tops of them, not the whole tube!)

4) It's probably a preamp tube - either V1 or the PI, if nothing works...

5) Did you try another cable?

6) Did you try another guitar?

• Members

Originally posted by cap'n'crunch

Cold solder joints are quite common with these amps. I had a tech go over my entire DSL401 5 years ago. Its been fine since. Though, I don't use it much anymore. Just keep it around for a backup.

This would be my guess too, a colder solder joint, or 2....

• Members
Originally posted by fitterhappier

Why did you replace the power tubes? Your initial problem sounded more like a preamp tube to me. Have you tried swapping them out one at a time?

• Members

Originally posted by EpiPaul03

If you're having a volume problem, it's probably the POWER tubes...The power amp boosts the weak signal of the pre-amp.

I don't think pre-amp tubes are the problem here.

If none of the tubes are lighting up, it's the filament supply. Or at least that's part of it.

Pete

• Members
Originally posted by Stratotone

If none of the tubes are lighting up, it's the filament supply. Or at least that's part of it.

Pete

Yes,although some tubes don't get very bright. So if they have never looked at them before this problem,they may just think they really aren't lighting up. But if they truly aren't lighting up,yes,you could well be right.

• Members

If you're having a volume problem, it's probably the POWER tubes...The power amp boosts the weak signal of the pre-amp.

Yes,I've been told that a number of times. I've also had quite a few volume loss problems that were solved with a preamp tube swap,usually the V1. Pretty common in higher gain amps.

• Members

Originally posted by wor lez

Therell be a crappy joint for the filament supply. Get that fixed and should be fine.

Where do you get filament supply from his description?

It could easily be a lot of other things...

EDIT: Duh, 'noticed the valves weren't on'

• Members

lol...

Think about what you're saying...cause it's wrong.

If one of the preamp tubes aren't working correctly, they won't put out much, and you'll have to turn that volume up more to compensate.

Archived