Herbert owners, we need your help!

AgentOrange

• Members
Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz

If none of your other amps are affected, that's a different story. With all knobs staight up, and the mid-cut off, mine sounds very open, clear, and on the brighter side on channel 2 "+" mode with the presence at 1:00.

I assume you've elminated your guitar, pickups, cables, or any fx as the source of this issue as well?

Whatever the cause, I'm betting that it's something simple that was overlooked and easily fixed. It's odd that you're both experiencing the same issue. This leads me to believe it could be something external and other than the amp itself.

:confused:

I'm using Evidence Audio for instrument and speaker cable, no effects and tried 2 wolfgangs and an Axis.

Hmmm, it's because I'm experiencing similar issues to James that makes me think it is the amp, I dunno it's strange.

With everything at 12 using G12-75's its very dull:confused:

Any other ideas?

• Members

Originally posted by Diezel

That's what I'm saying. G12T-75s with v30s is a mid-strong monster.

v30s with 12H30 or **Eminence** are awesome. You have to specifically try this out real-time to appreciate this combo.

Oh, I see.

Are you sure I'll like it when I really don't like v30's on their own? I know people rave about this combo but assumed they liked the v30 in the first place. Trying this out isn't a 5 minute job! I need to butcher 2 cabs:D

• Members
Originally posted by Peter Diezel

Hey guys !

I can help You out to get more highend if You want.

Do You have solderirons ?

Peter
:D

hi peter,

do you think this sounds like a tube problem or perhaps something more serious? Id rather not attack my lovely herbert with a soldering iron, but im not sure what else to do. What tubes would you recommend?

'Bump before work'

James

• Members
Originally posted by Peter Diezel

Hey guys !

I can help You out to get more highend if You want.

Do You have solderirons ?

Peter

Hi Peter

What are you doing on here? You're supposed to be on holiday:D

Would you expect the VH4 to be much brighter than the Herbert?

Enjoy your holiday! We can sort this out when you get back:)

Thanks,
Angus

• Members

Originally posted by Def_Pearl_Pilot

Hi guys. I just got back. No I wouldn't describe the amp as sounding dull with all the controls at noon. Definitely not blanket over the speaker type tone.

Thanks,

That's what I thought, how bright is it with the presence and treble cranked (at house volumes)?

• Members

I am using a Diezel 2x12 with G12-H's and the stock tubes that Peter installed.
I am using Evidence Audio Cables and have yet to experience any change in tone from how I first got it.

I would think that the type of preamp tubes used might give the amp a slightly different tone. This has been my experience, anyway.

Although I have not made any changes yet to my Herbert, I have spare Mullards, Telefunkens and both a PI Telefunken and Mullard 12AT7. I have found that in my VH4, this PI change to a slightly weaker tube produced a more balanced tone to my ears.

P.S. Hi Peter! I know that soldering iron statement was definitley not meant for me! harhar ;)

BB

• Members

Originally posted by MILO

Hey James, how about you let me give your Herbert the VH4 mod. It involved me driving to your house, and cunningly swapping your Herbert for my VH4. You then play the VH4 for a while and i play the Herbert. We both rock, job done, swap back later. sound like fun?

well if we fix this little problem then im actually up for that, if you dont mind the treck to bournemouth. Im gonna try some tube swapping with my DSL in a minute to see if those 12AX7s help at all. Im home from uni untill the weekend of the 20th, so if we can fit it in then, that would be best. Lets just hope i can sort this out before then!

Ill let you know how i get on

James

• Members
Originally posted by C-4

I am using a Diezel 2x12 with G12-H's and the stock tubes that Peter installed.

I am using Evidence Audio Cables and have yet to experience any change in tone from how I first got it.

I would think that the type of preamp tubes used might give the amp a slightly different tone. This has been my experience, anyway.

Although I have not made any changes yet to my Herbert, I have spare Mullards, Telefunkens and both a PI Telefunken and Mullard 12AT7. I have found that in my VH4, this PI change to a slightly weaker tube produced a more balanced tone to my ears.

P.S. Hi Peter! I know that soldering iron statement was definitley not meant for me! harhar
;)

BB

Thanks,

I think the preamp tubes make a slight difference like you said, but not a drastic change which is what's needed here (for me). Haven't tried an AT7 yet, sounds interesting.

cheers.

• Members

Well, I've just been A/Bing the Herbert against the SE using the same cab (Bogner 4x12 with G12H-30's) and the same Evidence Audio instrument and speaker cables.

I have the SE setup for a brightish JCM800 AC/DC sound. To get a similar sound on the Herbert I used CH2 minus, the presence was DIMED, treble was on 2.30. Any less than that and it had that "rolled off tone pot" sound. The mid was 11.00, the bass was 11.00 and the deep was 1.00.

Can you guys try these settings and let me know what it sounds like?

Thanks in advance

Angus

• Members

I noticed the same thing a little over a year ago when I purchased my Herbert, I described the sound exactly as you "a blanket over the cabinet". I tweaked, and tweaked and tweaked, and either got used to the tone, or finally dialed it out. I really dig the tone I'm getting now. At times I still think I hear the dull tone come thru, particularly if I turn off the mid cut. My prior amp was a Mesa Dual Recto, very trebley amp in my opinion, so maybe 10 years of that to a darker, less treble (or more balanced??) oriented amp was the reason it took a while to get used to Herb. I've got EL34 STR's in mine through a Mesa Recto cab with V30s. Just thought I'd chime in.
Coot

Archived