Tony Banks

• Members

I really enjoy Genesis' music. The synthesizer solos on Second's Out are very moving (even the one by Phil Collins on Robbery, Assault, and Battery is really cool - I assume he did it on the album since he did it live in concert). Banks also played a 12 string acoustic when I saw Genesis in concert sometime around 1983. I think that Tony Banks is one of the only keyboardists to use a Mellotron in a way that I like. It usually invokes negative depressing emotions in me; that is just my own personal experience which I consider sorta weird, but it is what I feel (one may consider that in this respect it is a very powerful instrument but because of the negative emotions it invokes I prefer usually to not listen to it).

I think that most of the attention to early Genesis music focused on Peter Gabriel's stage presence. If you look at the song credits though you see Banks on a significant fraction of the music (Hackett and Rutherford too). The fact that the elements that I found interesting in Genesis' music continued post-Gabriel attests to that fact.

Steve Hackett is also an amazing guitar player. He made and used sounds that were way ahead of their time. He was one of the first rock guitarists to employ tapping techniques (later made more famous/mainstream by Eddie VanHalen, Stanley Jordan and others). Unfortunately, by the time I got around to seeing Genesis in concert he had left the band. After Hackett left the band started down a more popular path but that doesn't mean that they stopped making good music. Wider appeal is not necessarily bad.

• Members

I really enjoy Genesis' music. The synthesizer solos on Second's Out are very moving (even the one by Phil Collins on Robbery, Assault, and Battery is really cool - I assume he did it on the album since he did it live in concert).

I'm almost 100% sure that the synth solo on 'Robbery, Assault, and Battery' was played by Tony Banks. I doubt Phil would have had the keyboard technique to play it.

Anyone else know if this is the case?

• Members

I'm almost 100% sure that the synth solo on 'Robbery, Assault, and Battery' was played by Tony Banks. I doubt Phil would have had the keyboard technique to play it.

I believe Tony Banks was the only person on keyboards in Genesis.

One of my personal favorites as well. An Arp Pro Soloist seemed to be made for Tony Banks, Genesis would not have sounded the same without it in their early years I think.

• Members

I believe Tony Banks was the only person on keyboards in Genesis.

One of my personal favorites as well. An Arp Pro Soloist seemed to be made for Tony Banks, Genesis would not have sounded the same without it in their early years I think.

Definitely the case! For example, the end instrumental (second half) of Cinema Show is like a 'demo' for the ARP Pro Soloist - and who better to demo it ;)

The ARP is also all over 'The Lamb' too.

• Members

It helped that the keyboard player just happened to have ALL the vintage keyboards in his collection to do all of Tony's sounds. Including the Pro Soloist.

So cool - I was going to guess it was 'The Musical Box' tribute band but I guess not.

• Members

Nope. Musical Box is great too, and maybe a bit more authentic.

These guys bring a bit of American energy to the music which I find appealing in its own way.

It is Kevin Gilbert and Giraffe live at Progfest 1994. The drummer is Nick D'Virgilio, who plays with Spock's Beard these days.

• Members

The drummer is Nick D'Virgilio, who plays with Spock's Beard these days.

Nick also played drums on a version of In The Cage I just recorded. :cool:

I'm also a huge Tony Banks fan. He has a really unique and lyrical style, and chops for days. I enjoy both listening to and playing his stuff. :thu:

dB

• Members

I had the distinct pleasure of mtg and talking with Tony on their last tour. I have been a huge fan of his since day one, as DB said, the style and writing is truly amazing.

• Members

I remember watching/listening to Collins playing the solo in concert and being totally surprised that he was able to do it.

• Members

I remember watching/listening to Collins playing the solo in concert and being totally surprised that he was able to do it.

Collins doesn't have those kinds of keyboard chops. All of the videos I have clearly show Tony playing all of the keyboard parts. Phil is rocking out on tambourine in the background.

Archived