Tony Banks

• Members

Collins doesn't have those kinds of keyboard chops. All of the videos I have clearly show Tony playing all of the keyboard parts. Phil is rocking out on tambourine in the background.

Dude, it is in the liner notes for the Seconds Out album and CD (I have both and am looking at the liner notes from the album right now - want me to take a picture or scan or something?). It says: "Robbery Assault & Battery - Keyboard solo Phil". What really surprised me is it also says "Cinema Show - Bill Bruford, Phil keyboard solo". I take that to mean that the keyboard solo that I always attributed to Banks on that song is also Phil, at least for that particular live recording, and that Bruford was doing the drumming during that part.

I looked at a video on youtube for Robbery Assault and Battery that cuts to footage of Banks playing keys while the solo is playing, but it is pretty obvious from what his fingers are doing that they are not playing the same thing as the solo melody. In fact Banks turns from one board to another not playing anything for a moment while the solo is going.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

It is certainly possible that at other times Banks performed/performs the solo for Robbery Assault and Battery himself. Incidentally, the liner notes for the "Trick of the Tail" album credits the song to Banks and Collins.

• Members

That's because that footage is all butchered up. Tony is playing that solo in the footage but the sync is off (between the vid and the music). Those liner notes are referring to the fact that Phil is playing the drums during the keyboard solo and NOT Chester. :) Trust me, Phil couldn't play that stuff in a million years.

Just for reference:

Bill Bruford courtesy of E.G. Records Ltd.
All Drums Chester except:
Robbery, Assault & Battery - keyboard solo: Phil
Firth of Fifth: Phil & Chester
Musical Box: Chester & Phil
Supper's Ready - Apocalypse in 9/8: Chester & Phil
Cinema Show: Bill Bruford; keyboard solo: Bill Bruford & Phil
Los Endos: Phil & Chester

Produced by David Hentschel & Genesis
Recorded in Paris 76/77 with the Manor Mobile
Mixed at Trident, London
Assisted by Neil Ross

Sleeve Photos: Armando Gallo (incl. front & back) Robert Ellis and Graham Wood