Has anyone here ever had an MRI?

shred and roll

• Members

I have never had a MRI but some of my family members have had one.

They are somewhat loud due to the giant magnets that circle around you. Also most MRI machines have a very small space for you to lay down. So if you have trouble with tight spaces you might want to opt for the new OpenAir MRI machines.

• Members
Originally posted by shred and roll

My DR. says I need one. I was in an auto accident a while back. I've heard they're loud. If you've had one, did it hurt your hearing?

Loud? I've had some. The main thing that sucks is having to not move at all for so long.

• Members

I've had three...

I've had two types: closed (twice) and open (once)

Closed is where they put you in a small tube for about 35 minutes while they do the MRI. It can be VERY tight in there and if you don;t like small spaces, you could freak out a bit.

Open is where you are basically on a table and the machine slides over the area where you have the problem.

They are not THAT loud.

The last MRI I had (open machine) was a GREAT experience as I got to choose the music I wanted to listen to and I got to pick the might VAN HALEN....AWESOME!

• Members

I have had about 10 (some on my knees some on my neck). It is a little cramped in the tube and you will hear a loud knocking/clicking noise. They will give you earplugs. If the doctor orders a "contrast" MRI you will be injected with an iodine solution that (in my case) burns like hell. Relax and enjoy......................John

• Members

It's not that it's loud, it's how awful the noises are. First there's a loud clicking noise and then it's like the most annoying alarm buzzer you've ever heard. They gave me earlpugs when I had mine. And they cost about $1500 (at least mine did) so I hope you have some decent insurance.

• Members
Originally posted by tommythelurker

Ya, buzzing and clicking. Not too loud. I fell asleep
:D
But the claustraphobia sucks. Glad it was my knee and not my head.

A friend of mine had one on her pitching shoulder. She fell asleep and had one of those dreams where you think your are falling out of bed and she moved really fast. She had to start over.

• Members
Originally posted by ConcreteVampire

Sucks. Broken neck for me.

They asked me what kinda music I liked, I said rock, they put headphones on me and cranked em... not so bad..

EXCEPT FOR MY NECK!!!!
:mad:
:mad:

Ouch!

The thing I don't understand is when they first came out, I though they said you couldn't get any metal anywhere near them like glasses, car keys etc. But they said my glasses were fine and now people are talking about headphones :confused: I didn't get no stinkin' headphones :(

• Members

I had to get an MRI on my knee several years ago...

It was in one of those open air machines. I dont remember thinking anything of it being loud at all? It made a little noise I think but it's hardly deafening. :confused:

Anyway, it wasnt that bad, it was just really, really difficult to keep perfectly still like they wanted me to. I dont know if it's just because I have to keep still that it makes it hard to do it or what... But it could have just been that I tore my meniscus AND my ACL and basically it was swollen all to hell and pretty much stuck at only one comfortable angle... And any time I moved or shifted my weight my whole leg would convulse in pain so I was always trying to keep it comfortable...

but I swear all that magnetism makes me want to move! :mad:

Either way, it wasn't a pleasant experience, I got no headphones. But it's hardly torture. It's just dull and kind of tedious.

I'm not sure how I'd handle being put in a tube...

• Members

Originally posted by shred and roll

My DR. says I need one. I was in an auto accident a while back. I've heard they're loud. If you've had one, did it hurt your hearing?

i'm an mri tech..... the tech who does your mri will either give

you earplugs or headphones so that you can listen to the radio

or one of your cd's. the mri scanner can generate up to 110

decibels---i know because we had it measured.

• Members

Ahh, what a bunch of pansies!!
Friday had a full body bone scan, when the tech brings in the syringe in a LEAD TUBE so HE doesn't get any Radioactivity in his hand and tells you, Don't go to any Gov't buildings or the Airport because you will set off the sensors they have and they will think you have a dirty bomb with you!! I was just a little aprehensive to tell the truth.
The good news was the bone scan was good, the bad news is the CT scan gave them a plan for a three pronged attack on my Lung Cancer...first they go in my neck and biopsey the lymph nodes that are a little enlarged where the wind pipe branches off to each lung, if that comes back good then they move to the spots in the top of the lung if that comes back OK then on to the mass in the lower left lobe and probably remove the whole lobe...but thats the better set up than if they find cancer in the lymph nodes at the first stop! 'cause then they just sew me up and say, sorry 'bout yer luck bub:o hope the chemo & radiation help you see your next birthday!!!
I'm waiting for the call to tell me what day this is going to go down. Probably be off work for 2 months and most likely not able to go back to what I do now again for a long time if ever.

• Members
Originally posted by Urban Ghandi

The last MRI I had (open machine) was a GREAT experience as I got to choose the music I wanted to listen to and I got to pick the might VAN HALEN....AWESOME!

Ahem....(puts on DLR voice....)

Somebody Get Me A Doctor!!!! :D

Archived