Sunn Model T

MattACaster

• Members

You talking about the vintage ones or the newer Fender two channel jobs?

I've played both. They are really nothing the same except for general look. The vintage one is like any other vintage amp, clean and loud. They used to be a good deal, but they've gone up in price in the past few years.

The two channel Fender model actually had built in gain. The amp itself kinda sounds Marshally despite the 6L6s. The clean channel is really overly bright. The gain channel tends to feedback a lot.

• Members

Originally posted by 6AM

You talking about the vintage ones or the newer Fender two channel jobs?

I've played both. They are really nothing the same except for general look. The vintage one is like any other vintage amp, clean and loud. They used to be a good deal, but they've gone up in price in the past few years.

The two channel Fender model actually had built in gain. The amp itself kinda sounds Marshally despite the 6L6s. The clean channel is really overly bright. The gain channel tends to feedback a lot.

The newer Fender 2 channels are the ones I was refering too. I had no idea there was a previous model.

• Members

the old one was a VERY LOUD, crunchy 70's amp that was actually intended as a bass amp. it worked well for guitarists too. it was 150 watts clean and 170 clipped.

the newer one has insane gain and not much in the way of clean. it would make a great hard rock or metal amp.

• Members

Originally posted by 6AM

I thought the same thing,...clean channel was ridiculously bright, even with the treble cranked down. The gain channel was pretty muddy,...I didn't notice a feedback problem though.

• Members
Originally posted by Whoopysnorp

I thought they used Orange amps but I could be wrong.

I know on the insert for
The Elephant Riders
they show a Dual Recto and a JCM800 on Orange cabs.

on the Burning Beard video off their latest effort i believe it was a sunn i saw....ive been known to be wrong..but i believe this one was a sunn...sounded nothing like an orange or recto fer sure...check out the vid..it rawks

Link to thread w/ Clutch video
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=993742&highlight=clutch :D

• Members
Originally posted by anubae_obscura

on the Burning Beard video off their latest effort i believe it was a sunn i saw....ive been known to be wrong..but i believe this one was a sunn...sounded nothing like an orange or recto fer sure...check out the vid..it rawks

Link to thread w/ Clutch video

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=993742&highlight=clutch
:D

Dude, thats crazy. Look what I posted a few days ago...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1023510

That video is the EXACT reason I'm asking about that amp. I love the tone on that song!

• Members
Originally posted by MattACaster

Dude, thats crazy. Look what I posted a few days ago...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1023510

That video is the EXACT reason I'm asking about that amp. I love the tone on that song!

i heard clutch a few years ago and didnt dig em at all..then that vid got posted here...i cant quit listening to it....everyday i wake up....i drink alot of coffee and watch the cnn....that songs RULEZ!

• Members
Originally posted by anubae_obscura

i heard clutch a few years ago and didnt dig em at all..then that vid got posted here...i cant quit listening to it....everyday i wake up....i drink alot of coffee and watch the cnn....that songs RULEZ!

HAHA! You have good taste my friend. Everytime that song comes on my CD playeer in the car IT MUST BE CRANKED. There is no avoiding it. :D

• Members

HAHA! You have good taste my friend. Everytime that song comes on my CD playeer in the car IT MUST BE CRANKED. There is no avoiding it.

we definately share the same tastes...i do the exact same thing

:cool: that cd along w/ 3 others is on my want list right now waaay bad

• Members

Kinda freaky too. The singer really has that whole angry southern preacher thing down too.

Yeeup...and i should know...look at my location :eek: the lyrics are pretty down w/ big brotherish...maybe thats why i like em so much..is actually one of the few bands i like the lyrics more than the music...not saying i dont dig that dudes tone/riffage..just those lyrics..wow.....and the vid is perfect IMO for that song.

• Members

Originally posted by EdgySwingsetAcid

Cave In Jupiter was recorded with a Model T. Anything but muddy.

i'm pretty sure Brodsky has used them exclusively since... forever. he definitely used them for Antenna, and i've even seen him using it while guesting for other bands.

no. not muddy at all. THICK, though.

• Members

ive been playing through one for 5 years and i still want to suck its dick every time i play it.

really really solid rock amp. definately will do metal aswell i jsut never try those tones cause i play it w/ a semi hollow andit will roar and squeel.

i have a recrding of it but its a lame song and a lame recording...

the amp tends to be very clear and true to your guitars tone.

heres a link if anyone wants to hear some bad music.

www.myspace.com/orangelazaris

• Members

OLD SUNN USERS

Cave IN

Pelican (bass and guitar)

Isis (on recent tour)

RI SUNN USERS

Russian Circles

matt-- these guys are playing the double door on 9/13.

GO. amazing live show---

musically= tapping riffs, heavy riffs (tool-ish), AMAZING druming, melodic but crunchy bass.

one of the best bands i've seen in a long time, and RI sunn model T user.

i had a RI model T. just sold it-- i've also got a jcm800 2 channel, and a jcm900 2 channel, and they covered very similar ground-- furthermore, the clean on the RI T was a bit sterile and lifeless, so i didnt deem it reasonable to hold on to.

Archived