Engl E570 preamp, with VHT 2150 or mesa 2:90 poweramp?

guitarist17

• Members

I've decided this may be my dream poweramp/preamp rig. Anyone tried this combination? I'm sure the results would be absolutely unbelievable! How would yo u describe the sound to say, a regular Engl SE head? or the savage head? or with a regular engl poweramp? Sounds like an awesome setup! If anyone has any input, I'd like to hear about it! Thanks!

Chris

• Members

I definitely prefer the VHT poweramp to the Mesa's (owning both). To me the mesa's are are dry and nowhere near as organic and rich sounding... which is critical when doing the preamp+poweramp for some reason.

I'll never understand why 1+1 doesn't equal two when pairing pre and power sections. There's enough of a market again for effects and rack type stuff to bring the rack wave back... but everybody voices their poweramps in their heads so differently than their rack mountables(seemingly), that it just doesn't happen.

If the world was nothing but MTS modules and poweramps (much like pro-audio), we could save a pile of cash.

• Members

Originally posted by Jack Luminous

I feel the exact opposite so I think it's really a matter of taste.

Really? The 2:90 vs a KT-88 loaded VHT are really apples and oranges. Each might have their own application, but they are like comparing a Mesa to a Marshall... you just can't.

I haven't played the recto poweramp or the 20/20, but I loved my 2:90 until, well you know....

Obviously this is a try before you buy situation though. They are very, very different animals.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by guitarist17

I've decided this may be my dream poweramp/preamp rig. Anyone tried this combination? I'm sure the results would be absolutely unbelievable! How would yo u describe the sound to say, a regular Engl SE head? or the savage head? or with a regular engl poweramp? Sounds like an awesome setup! If anyone has any input, I'd like to hear about it! Thanks!

Chris

i use the e570 with a brunetti *rockit power amp and it sounds beautiful and when put the g major on it sounds great.nut i ve noticed that makes a very very big difference when you change the guitar you are playing...

Archived