Nord C1 vs Hammond XK-3C questions

llamastorm

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Where is there any evidence that the XK-1 is manufactured poorly? Have they built it to a level where it can be sold for far less than the XK-3 and now the '3c? Yes. Has that build quality held up in use? Absolutely. Has anyone read here or anywhere that the XK-1's have been unreliable in any way? No. The one issue that has been reported is a check battery indicator. That issue was due to a software setting that read the battery as being too low well before it actually was. It has been fixed. Years ago.

The XK-1 has all the sound of an XK-3 with an improved digital Leslie and almost all the sound of an XK-3c. Without the extra drawbars and tube preamp etc. that make the XK-3 and '3c worth more. The XK-1 is assembled in China, but so is just about everything else in the world today. It is my understanding that the main bd. etc. still come from Japan. The XM-2 which is basically an XK-1 without the keyboard is made in Japan.

Not every instrument is the right one for everybody. If you (Llamastorm) don't like the sound or feel, don't buy it. If you don't want to buy something you can't try first, don't. You are telling people who own them and are very happy with them that a: you don't think they are very good, and b: those people's opinions about what they own are wrong. Well those people know what they own, don't know you, and ultimately, don't care what you buy. They have all tried to give you accurate information and informed opinions. Do with those what you will.

Good Luck.

• Members

I wasn't referring to your post, it was this one:

I know to listen to the 6 foot tall time travelling bunny rabbits
:)

So I understand the action (the keys do bounce up quickly like they should and trigger where they should, right?) and sound is much better than the Xk1? -- great.

Did they also fix the really cheap feeling plastic white buttons for turning on the chorus and so on that the Xk-1 had? I mean I absolutely hated the Xk-1. From the pictures it looks like the mod wheels and buttons might be the same? My houses lightswitches and remotes are made better than that.

I guess I'm just a little cautious to buy anything Hammond after seeking the Xk-1. It was pretty well on it's way to being the worst keyboard in the store.

Along with his next post. I should have pointed that out better. I apologize. I did post that the XK-1 is built in China, though not to indicate that it was poorly made of low quality parts (I don't believe it is) but that the assembly costs would be lower than they would be in Japan. I have not heard of any reliability issues with the XK-1 other than the one I mentioned above. There may be more XK-1's than XK-3's and '3c's in use since the XK-1's are stocked and sold through the big box stores more than the XK-3's are.

• Members

Where is there any evidence that the XK-1 is manufactured poorly? Have they built it to a level where it can be sold for far less than the XK-3 and now the '3c? Yes. Has that build quality held up in use? Absolutely. Has anyone read here or anywhere that the XK-1's have been unreliable in any way? No. The one issue that has been reported is a check battery indicator. That issue was due to a software setting that read the battery as being too low well before it actually was. It has been fixed. Years ago.

The XK-1 has all the sound of an XK-3 with an improved digital Leslie and almost all the sound of an XK-3c. Without the extra drawbars and tube preamp etc. that make the XK-3 and '3c worth more. The XK-1 is assembled in China, but so is just about everything else in the world today. It is my understanding that the main bd. etc. still come from Japan. The XM-2 which is basically an XK-1 without the keyboard is made in Japan.

Not every instrument is the right one for everybody. If you (Llamastorm) don't like the sound or feel, don't buy it. If you don't want to buy something you can't try first, don't. You are telling people who own them and are very happy with them that a: you don't think they are very good, and b: those people's opinions about what they own are wrong. Well those people know what they own, don't know you, and ultimately, don't care what you buy. They have all tried to give you accurate information and informed opinions. Do with those what you will.

Good Luck.

Exaclty!

• Members
We've all given our best advice... you have to get off your ass and try one or move on.
:deadhorse:

True not just that but always remember the people that like the XK-3/Xk-1 Series and Korg CX-3 will always be in the minority on the keyboard forums. That is just how it is.

• Members

True not just that but always remember the people that like the XK-3/Xk-1 Series and Korg CX-3 will always be in the minority on the keyboard forums. That is just how it is.

??? There's been over 56 replies to this thread and over 1100 views so far... that's a lot of interest/opinion/reads for any one topic here. There's also more posts/comments/info on the XK3c from the MP/Keyboard Corner forums. I think this shows that organ enthusiasts are well-represented here.

• Members

I will see if I can get some video for you this summer. I play reggae a little less now because the only band is out of town and if I have a conflict with my main band it gets difficult to make the shows. I can share the drawbar setting I use also.

• Members

Here is Tony Monaco playing an XK-1. He seems to make do.

Here is Bruno Micheli playing the XK-3 and XK-1 through a 3300:

True dat. The basic tone of both clones is very good. For me, the differences start showing when you play more distorted sounds - and I play with distorted sound 95% of the time. The tube od in the XK3c is very dynamic, and adds another level to the sound. IMHO. If you're mostly into cleaner jazz settings, the XK1 will do just fine.

• Members

I agree. You might try replacing the tubes in the '3c with old 50's/60's era tubes and also try a 12AY7 tube in the AU socket. 12AU7 tubes always seem to put some fuzz in the tone even when the overdrive is turned down. The 12AY7's have a little more gain, start off with a cleaner, better defined tone and can scream like a son of a gun when pushed. However, the 12AU7 tone may be just what you are looking for. On mine, I run the lows through the AX and the highs through the AY.

Also, you can change the trigger depth of the keys by holding the three Leslie buttons down when you power on. This changes the trigger point to the lower contact used to measure velocity. You don't have to turn percussion velocity on to get that any more. The setting stays locked until you do the three finger salute again so you don't have to do it on every power on to use that feature. I prefer the shallow trigger but some like the deeper one.

• Members

I agree. You might try replacing the tubes in the '3c with old 50's/60's era tubes and also try a 12AY7 tube in the AU socket. 12AU7 tubes always seem to put some fuzz in the tone even when the overdrive is turned down. The 12AY7's have a little more gain, start off with a cleaner, better defined tone and can scream like a son of a gun when pushed. However, the 12AU7 tone may be just what you are looking for. On mine, I run the lows through the AX and the highs through the AY.

Also, you can change the trigger depth of the keys by holding the three Leslie buttons down when you power on. This changes the trigger point to the lower contact used to measure velocity. You don't have to turn percussion velocity on to get that any more. The setting stays locked until you do the three finger salute again so you don't have to do it on every power on to use that feature. I prefer the shallow trigger but some like the deeper one.

I will have to try that.

• Members

I will see if I can get some video for you this summer. I play reggae a little less now because the only band is out of town and if I have a conflict with my main band it gets difficult to make the shows. I can share the drawbar setting I use also.

I would like to learn that!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have been fortunate enough to land in a project that has provided the gear for me to use. They have a Korg SV-1 and Leslie 3300 and just last week added an XK-3C. Prior to that, I had used my Korg CX-3. The CX-3 Leslie sounded great to me, and I will continue to proudly use it in my "other" band, but the minute I played the first chord on the XK-3C, I was sold! Maybe it's the tubes. Maybe it's the engine. I don't know WHAT the secret ingredients are, but they work! Can't wait to get the lower manual!

I own two B-3 organs, and lugged a "chop" around for several years. For the backache v. tone argument, I'll stick with the XK-3C. At least until the (pipe dream) day when we have roadies!

Slightly OT: I would like to know if anybody has any ideas/suggestions on tweaking the C/V settings. I've barely had time to crack the manual, and a few of the reviews I've seen read that the chorus settings were a little too "extreme". Any sage wisdom?

jamieb
+++++

• Members

Slightly OT: I would like to know if anybody has any ideas/suggestions on tweaking the C/V settings. I've barely had time to crack the manual, and a few of the reviews I've seen read that the chorus settings were a little too "extreme". Any sage wisdom?

jamieb

+++++

Congratulations.

I prefer to set the Vibrato rate to the slowest speed and use just a little tremolo. The rest of the settings can be set from almost none to a lot so just tweak them until you like what you hear.

The Expression settings (pg. 62 #'s 12 - 16) also affect the tone as the expression pedal is moved so you might tweak those as well.

If you connect the '3c to the 3300 via an 11 pin cable, you will still have the digital Leslie available at the left 1/4" output jack. You can send that to the PA when you need more volume. Or to another amp for 2 Leslies.

• Members

...If you connect the '3c to the 3300 via an 11 pin cable, you will still have the digital Leslie available at the left 1/4" output jack. You can send that to the PA when you need more volume. Or to another amp for 2 Leslies...

I didn't know that. May try it soon.

Do you know if you can set up a switch pedal to control the "real" 3300 speed if you're already using the expression pedal? That one is convenient, but seems like it's more geared toward seated players. I stand for this gig, and if I'm using both hands, and I try to use that footswitch, I tend to bump my volume as well.

I'm sure I can still run the 1/4" cable to the Leslie, and control it that way, but I was wanting to do it through the organ, and not have that extra cable to tape down.

May just try it and see...

Thanks,

jamieb

+++++

• Members

You can use a footswich plugged into the Footswitch 1 jack on the back of the '3c instead of (or in addition to) the kick switch on the EXP-100F. Just set the parameter to tell the '3c what you want it to do (pg. 62 #18). You can use a male TRS for femal TS and female RS Y cord to have 2 footswitches if needed.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I am testing C2 and XK3C, C2 sounds far better, alive, seems that somehow the vibrato chorus on XK3c some low pass filtering is going on, which results in "empty" sound, C2 has the shortcoming of drawbars, so since I already own a XK3c and wish I could do something on the chorus/vibrato, to restore original sound. I also have a B3 and A102, in the original hammond organs (A.B.C.) the chorus is the result of the dry signal + the vibrato signal (that creates the powerfull flanging fx) on the XK3c it seems that chorus is just a modification "on" the dry sound, whole lot of difference. If any one has good advice, welcome, maybe I could try some guitar pedal on the insert channel, wouldn't know which one? Thanks & regards, Alain

• 2 weeks later...

Archived