Would you eliminate everything in your studio and replace it with this?

• Members

Comparisons between the OL stuff and the OASYS are inevitable, but we all need to agree on one thing...The OL stuff is essentially a lot of good hardware that happens to be in one box - it isn't really "integrated" in the same way that the OASYS is. I can play any sound through (or with) any other sound, or external audio signal in the OASYS. There is NOTHING else that can do that.

Also, the sonic quality simply isn't the same. ALL the sounds in the OASYS are uncompressed and not stored in chips, like all other ROMplers out there.

The OL stuff is cool, for sure, but it isn't "the same" as an OASYS. Two similar ideas carried out in polar opposite ways.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I checked out the Neko at NAMM, didn't like it, it was clumsy, didn't sound that good to my ears and it was slow and convoluted to navigate (hey, it's a PC)

It seems this guy has a an over-inflated view of himself. Making the "big" announcement-(woo friggin hoo!) cause he's buying a workstation and assuming anyone else would be interested and going as far to make a video production out if it. I cant wait for the big climax of the UPS truck pulling up to his house- now thats drama folks!

BTW- is that a "studio" in the background? Looks like a closet. I have more $ in cases, but I didn't hold a news conference when I got the Oasys.

WELL PUT!!!!! Everyone should not be allowed to post on Youtube, what a waste!!:facepalm:

• Members

That's what this musician is going to do. He's even getting rid of his PC:confused:

When he says "All the big boys are using it", he only mentions names who make one kind of music.

I guess he thinks and considers only Hip Hop as the musical world. That's another topic though.

The Neko is nice, but the Firestation pres.... I'd rather get something else. And Dr. Wu's comment about the integration of the software is intriguing. It's basically a PC with everything attached in one, but the processor will soon become slow and out of date and that's a lot of money to be replacing a computer. The mediocre pres will stay the same, but the processor is the main future concern.

Besides, doesn't anyone think about Apple and other PC companies coming out with Touch Screen computers in 4 years or so? I like using my Trackball, but a touchscreen would be great to have.

Replacing an ASR-10 :facepalm: I bought it for the sound which you are not going to replicate in the Neko with those pres... plus the main reason I have the asr is for the Transwaves.

Zoink's comment on having everything in one for mediocrity is spot on. The Neko will sound pretty good, but not as good as what you'd get from a combo of things.

• Members

And...

He plugs it in with the cheapest extension cord possible,

PLUS a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter to ensure that his new $5,000 toy isn't grounded.

Nice.

i just about died when i saw this. unbelievable. it takes all kinds, doesn't it? :lol:

• Members

Zoink's comment on having everything in one for mediocrity is spot on. The Neko will sound pretty good, but not as good as what you'd get from a combo of things.

The Neko is whatever VST you want it to be, I assume. The bundled VST collection leaves something to be desired (well Wusikstation is pretty good, but none of the other bundled ones stand out to me) but I would think that adding your own would be pretty easy. I'd hope, at least. It's a f'n XP machine in a box, fer crissakes. The Firebox could be upgraded too but honestly that isn't a terrible output from what I've heard.

• Members

And...

He plugs it in with the cheapest extension cord possible,

PLUS a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter to ensure that his new $5,000 toy isn't grounded.

Nice.

Yeah, I noticed that too. But you can't really tell if it's a 2-prong extension cord. He was obviously too excited and grabbed whatever was in the vicinity, lol.

The other thing to notice is the placement of his monitors [bad] and the height of the shelf supporting his new toy [way too high], unless his chair is height-adjustable.

• Members

Of course, because a Neko
is
a PC.

Yes, but I would never rely on *that* PC alone to save all my music. Something goes wrong with the unit, you lose everything. He should still use a seperate PC to backup his work [assuming that toy has a USB port]. I've learned it the hard way. I now transfer every new composition [especially MIDI] from the music PC to my laptop, just in case. When the laptop isn't ready, I use my trusty 4GB USB stick: the best invention in the world of computer accessories.

• Members

I use a miko in my live set up - but I certainly wouldn't get rid of all my other gear and totally rely on the miko - especially live :eek:

I run Arturia's Minimoog V and Modular Moog V, M-tron and NI B4 from the miko (plus a few other VSTs that it came with) and for 'real' instruments I use a Moog Voyager and a Nord Electro 2 73 (plus sometimes a weighted 88 keyboard).

The miko (so far) has never crashed during a show (probably about 100 shows now) but I still like the security of having 'real' (as opposed to virtual) instruments on stage.

Before I bought the miko I was considering getting either a Receptor or a laptop (Mac of course!) - but the miko was the best option for me because it included everything in the one unit (screen, qwerty keyboard, controls, keyboard, audio interface etc...). Very handy for quick live set ups.

stagesetup.jpg

• Members

It does???

Downsizing like this always seems like a good solution...

I've NEVER grasped the idea of a single, do-it-all, kitchen sink unit. Translate it to ANY other profession or interest in the world. Take motor vehicles, for instance. Should the same bus that transports 40 children to school also be able to handle Indianapolis oval at 175mph? Or try bakery machinery - should the device that ties up boxes also be the device that bakes the cookies in those boxes?

I've always considered such downsizing preposterous. NEVER seemed a good solution.

• Members

That box costs as much or more than all of my guitar pedals combined, doesn't it? I think I am pushing about 2.5k for my analog pedal board.

Yes, but consider the context:

"digital multi-fx that does a lot of different,but mediocre things,all in one box."

Th Eventide box can do a lot of different things and is most certainly better at reverb and delay than any guitar pedal. Whether it's worth your money is a whole different question,especially if you don't have any use for the H8000FW's full feature set.

• Members

Geez you guys lets give this poor guy a break. Is he overfull of himself? Sure yeah. Is he making a big deal out of something not so big? Maybe to us but not to him. Is he making silly mistakes? Yep. Is he having fun? I hope so. Is it entertaining to watch? Yeah, actually for me it is sorta like anticipating schadenfreude.

• Members

Geez you guys lets give this poor guy a break. Is he overfull of himself? Sure yeah. Is he making a big deal out of something not so big? Maybe to us but not to him. Is he making silly mistakes? Yep. Is he having fun? I hope so. Is it entertaining to watch? Yeah, actually for me it is sorta like anticipating schadenfreude.

^^ this.

• Members

Besides, doesn't anyone think about Apple and other PC companies coming out with Touch Screen computers in 4 years or so? I like using my Trackball, but a touchscreen would be great to have.

A little counterpoint here. I've used AutoCAD since around 1986 and early in my career I looked at many other cad systems. One of them was Catia. It was way cool and used a tethered stylus which you literally drew on the screen with. One of the operators finally said to me, "Yeah, it's cool but your arm gets really tired."

• Members

... one without professional roadies... see the cable mess
:lol:

Just kidding. Excellent array of synths. Looks nice
:thu:

Thanks Gus and frogmonkey :)

Actually, I wish we had roadies :cry:

Hamburglar,

This was a one off gig (as a support act) last year at Hisense Arena (formerly Vodafone Arena) in Melbourne, Australia. We only had 20 mins to play and about 2 mins to get all our stuff off stage when we finished! :eek:

Biggest venue I've ever played at though and lots of fun.

Interesting about getting tired arms, makes sense.

Actually, price-aside, that is one of the main reasons touch-screens and optical pencils/pens are not the main trend today: ergonomics.

Too many arm moves are required to do a simple job while touching a screen or using a pencil.

In the nEko, it is fine, because you will not spend a lot of time touching virtual knobs, faders et all, given you have physical controllers for the task. The touchscreen is mainly to quickly navigate through the system instead of using a mouse.

• Members

It does???

I've NEVER grasped the idea of a single, do-it-all,
kitchen sink
unit. Translate it to ANY other profession or interest in the world. Take motor vehicles, for instance. Should the same bus that transports 40 children to school also be able to handle Indianapolis oval at 175mph? Or try bakery machinery - should the device that ties up boxes also be the device that bakes the cookies in those boxes?

I've always considered such downsizing preposterous. NEVER seemed a good solution.

I didnt watch this very carefully... but it seemed to me that he had just a morif rack there anyway and a PC... (plus some controllers). Not huge downsizing.

Still though 5K is a lot of money...

Archived