Vito Bratta fans, check this out

ncook

• Members
Originally posted by Rufus Leaking

He is and his band has a CD out, but there's very little soloing on there and what he does play is very conservative for some reason.

He's also done guest spots on "Guitar's practicing musicians" and with the Tubes among others, but I suspect his personal demons have kept him from attaining much recognition.

I've searched high and low for more recordings of him doing this kind of stuff but it's just not out there.

Man am I pissed I didn't bring a recorder with me when I would go to see him live.

Vito or Mark?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've searched high and low for more recordings of [Mark Hitt] doing this kind of stuff but it's just not out there.

Mark Hitt currently plays with a band called TorQue. Buried deep within the TorQue web site is a "tribute" site to Rat Race Choir (RRC), a band that Mark and TorQue drummer Steve Luongo were in back in the '80s. Steve recently posted seven clips of RRC playing live (circa 1982) with some great shredding by Mark, if you know where to look for it within these long clips. I've identified the key shredding points below.

Rat Race Choir clips from 1982

http://www.torque103103.com/1/clue/clue.html

Mark Hitt shredding points:

Track 1 - 5:00

Track 2 - nothing really

Track 3 - nothing really

Track 4 - 4:30, 8:00

Track 5 - 4:00

Track 6 - 7:30

Track 7 - 2:05, 2:45

I believe all of these songs are originals, except for Track 4, which is by the band U.K.

I first saw Mark Hitt play with Rat Race Choir in 1976, at a club called Tuey's in Stony Brook, New York. I was completely stunned, as were a bunch of other guys who watched with dropped jaw near the front of the stage. I had never seen that kind of technique or ferocity before, and it made a big impression on me.

About a year later I approached him between sets to talk guitars, and he was more than accommodating. He unplugged from his Hiwatt, and on the side of the stage he showed me some mindboggling sweep picking techniques on his then-sunburst 355 (it was later refinished in the red color that it is now). Then he handed it to me and let me play for a while. That was almost 30 years ago and I still get excited thinking about it.

I've run into him two or three times since then and each time it was a pleasure. About 7 years ago I ran into a mutual friend and gushed about what a great player Mark is. A few days later I was at work and the phone rang. It was Mark, thanking me for the kind words!

-- Peter

• Members

Vito takes the first half, then Mark comes in at around :34 in and pretty much sends Vito home with his tail tucked between his legs.

Good playing by both...I don't see Vito going home with his tail tucked between his legs though. Mark...on this specific take...is a good player but doesn't play to the song as well as Vito. As far as tone...he may have Vito beat....Vito's tone was a little too smooth for that song.

• Members

Originally posted by peppy

Good playing by both...I don't see Vito going home with his tail tucked between his legs though. Mark...on this specific take...is a good player but doesn't play to the song as well as Vito. As far as tone...he may have Vito beat....Vito's tone was a little too smooth for that song.

OMFG!! Are you kidding?!?

Try to figure out Vito's solo - anyone who's been playing 5 years or more can do so easily - it's standard fare simple 80's rock licks.

Now try to figure out Mark's solo. Go ahead. If you can figure that out and play it note for note... or even transcribe it I'll be shocked.

Who cares about tone, they're so close it doesn't matter. Try to play even the first few bars of Mark's solo. I'd love to hear you try to copy it.

• Members

Try to figure out Vito's solo - anyone who's been playing 5 years or more can do so easily - it's standard fare simple 80's rock licks.

Now try to figure out Mark's solo. Go ahead. If you can figure that out and play it note for note... or even transcribe it I'll be shocked.

Who cares about tone, they're so close it doesn't matter. Try to play even the first few bars of Mark's solo. I'd love to hear you try to copy it.

NoMFG, I'm not kidding. Again, I don't think the second solo fit the song that well. Why should I try and copy it...why don't you if you think it is god-like? Or, if Vito's solo is that easy, you post it instead. Who cares about tone? You must, or why are you on an amp forum? (I don't find the tone that close either.) My opinion stays the same. At no point did I slag your friend, which I think you feel I did. I just said I don't think he made Vito run with his tail between his leg....he didn't. I also said I don't think the solo...those descending lines especially....fit the song as well as Vito's did...I still think that. I did praise his tone....you say you don't care about such. End of story.

• Members

Vito fans might want to hear this -

As far as I know this is one of the last (maybe the last) recordings Vito has done. It's a guest spot on Randy Coven's solo album CPR (from around 1992). Vito splits the solo on "Back in black" with a guitarist who is a local legend around the NY area Mark Hitt. Mark is one of the most incredible guitarists I've ever seen. I mean jaw dropping, mind blowing good as this solo will show. The guy is raw like Nugent but plays outside like Holdsworth. This is one of my favorite solos of all time.

Vito takes the first half, then Mark comes in at around :34 in and pretty much sends Vito home with his tail tucked between his legs.

Check it out!

That second solo reminds me a bit of Ed DeGenaro, without the honk.

• Members

Originally posted by peppy

I think both fit well. Vito played predictably and excellent, and Mark played unpredictably and excellent.

Different strokes for different folks, but both should be able to be appreciated.

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

I think both fit well. Vito played predictably and excellent, and Mark played unpredictably and excellent.

Different strokes for different folks, but both should be able to be appreciated.

I agree, they both sound like good soloists to me, in different styles/ways.

FWIW, Citing complexity as being somehow inherently better is pretty retarded and is what ended the 80's guitar gymnastics era and created damn near two decades of animosity towards technical competence on the instrument.

I definitely thought both parts were cool and Vito definitely did not have to "run home with his tail tucked between his legs" that's just a stoopid comment, IMHO.

• Members

Both nice playing! Vito left an element of Angus in there to "remind" us of the original...clever and tasty and respectful even. The other guy sound like Holdsworth and is a bit too far out to really fit the song well and seems like he wanna stand out more than complement the song...plus, listen how he exits!!! Really bad in my mind that for sure makes you believe he played for himself only! And he uses a TON of compression turning the tone to mush!

And no, I ain't attempting to copy that lead either...no use!

Oh yeah, this also just proves how much Angus own both of those guys, without a Floyd, massive preamp gain, Maximizer etc etc. No comparison in tone or playing either IMO. Feel free to not agree;)

• Members

They're both obviously incredible players, but Angus smokes them both on that tune. Nobody plays with more balls than Angus.

The only reason I comment is because it sounds strange to me to hear those types of licks over an AC/DC tune. It sounds weak.

IMO.:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by BadRonald

They're both obviously incredible players, but Angus smokes them both on that tune. Nobody plays with more balls than Angus.

The only reason I comment is because it sounds strange to me to hear those types of licks over an AC/DC tune. It sounds weak.

IMO.
:cool:

Exactly...less gain=more balls

• Members

I'm not really underwhelmed by Vito I mean his solo fit just fine. I just get this reaction to players like Mr. Hitt. Its not speed really its just the odd notes and the jazziness or beebopish fusion-ey whatever it is. I'm a sucker for that. Its what I grew up with around the house (my dad's a jazz trumpet player).

BTW I have copied that MP3 and am determined to atleast find all Mr Hitt's notes on the fretboard!!

• Members

Originally posted by Alanfc

I'm not really underwhelmed by Vito I mean his solo fit just fine. I just get this reaction to players like Mr. Hitt. Its not speed really its just the odd notes and the jazziness or beebopish fusion-ey whatever it is. I'm a sucker for that. Its what I grew up with around the house (my dad's a jazz trumpet player).

BTW I have copied that MP3 and am determined to atleast find all Mr Hitt's notes on the fretboard!!

Me too and that was my point in posting the comparison.

In retrospect my 'tail between the legs' comment was uncalled for. I love Vito's playing too. But I was disappointed in this solo from him. Considering this was (afaik) the only thing he had recorded since White Lion broke up, I expected better - and I don't just mean speed or flash either (although certainly Vito was no slouch in those departments). But let's face it, Vito was out to be the next greatest axe slinger after EVH in the 80's just like everyone else. I would have thought he'd come out swinging for the fences in 1992 when this was recorded.

Mark's solo on the other hand is pushing the boundaries of rock guitar IMO. He does sound a lot like Holdsworth, but usually Holdsworth is playing over jazz changes and 'odd' chords and time signatures, which gives him the room to throw in the notes and scales that he does. To make those outside lines work over a straight ahead rock tune is a much bigger order and not many people are able to do it. How many other rock players can you think of that play like Mark does? How many did it in 1992 (and obviously he did it well before then)?

Alan if you do ever figure this solo out - let me know!

• Members
"Everybody jumped the gun last year before we even had a chance to confirm anything. Yes, Vito and I were talking back and forth about a possible reunion, but from the first conversation and 'till the last, he always told me he would not do it. But before I knew it I saw the band's name announced on festivals throughout Europe. I heard other guitar players' names mentioned as replacements and so on. But nothing was ever confirmed from our side. I am now making the final statement. There will never be an original WHITE LION reunion, and the only one performing WHITE LION will be TRAMP'S WHITE LION. I am personally contacting promoters around the world to let them know that this is the way it will be. I will also be handling the managing of TRAMP'S WHITE LION myself. At this moment I am talking to several players to take part in this band. But if the band will ever perform will totally depend on the interest of the promoters and the demand of the fans. But rest assured, Mike Tramp is moving forward no matter what."-
Mike Tramp 2004

• Members
Originally posted by Gaf-Yag-A-Ton

sounds like he is motivated and V.B. is not. Can't blame Tramp for that. You do what you gotta do, with or w/o help from your pals. I would never go see them but I'm sure plenty others will.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Vito fans might want to hear this -

As far as I know this is one of the last (maybe the last) recordings Vito has done. It's a guest spot on Randy Coven's solo album CPR (from around 1992). Vito splits the solo on "Back in black" with a guitarist who is a local legend around the NY area Mark Hitt. Mark is one of the most incredible guitarists I've ever seen. I mean jaw dropping, mind blowing good as this solo will show. The guy is raw like Nugent but plays outside like Holdsworth. This is one of my favorite solos of all time.

Check it out!

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=13888

OH NO I lost this clip !

you know where I could find it again ? :(

• Members

If you read between the lines on the various Mike Tramp drivel that he spews whenever tramp gets interviewed....the suggestion is that Vito has put on a ton of weight...not that it really is that big of a deal...but the inference was that Mike tramp did not want to reform white lion if Vito was going to look that way.

Regardless, this 'Tramp's white lion' thats been touring is the most disturbing reformation of any band. White Lion's musical sound was all vito...and to watch tramp reform the band without him is downright offensive...

So he's looking more like Vito Spatafore now?

The best part is; this joke wouldn't have made sense at the original post was made.

• Members

to the emerald pro clip...I am guessing that is the wrong clip ??

Yes, that's a different clip... I revised it but the link is the same - sorry.

This is an old thread!

When I get into work tomorrow I'll see if I can find and post the Vito / Mark Hitt clip again if people want to hear it.

Alan did you ever try tabbing Mark's solo out?

Archived