Questions when buying a used guitar?

TOStudent

• Members

I am looking at a used peavey Wolfgang by me.

I called the guy last night and of course he said thet it was

"MINT". Don't they all.

SO I ask him the usual:

Condition

Original owner

why selling

case included

he tells me it's his son's. SO I ask how old his son is.

Not meaning anything simply if it was some young 12year old kid he may not care of it as well as an older tennager or young adult.

He said "Thats irrellevant".

So I asked how many guitars the kid owns.

Meaning if it was his only guitar it is going to have a lot more miles and more dings and bumps on it.

He tells me irrellevant agin

Anyway I am going to check it out this weekend.

Anything else I should look for or ask?

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Your questions were inappropriate over the phone. I wouldn't answer any questions about the age of my children or how many guitars are in my house to a stranger either.

+1

Maybe you should have asked:

1) If he had a cute sister (because if he did then he'd probably have thrashed the guitar whilst showing off to her firnds)

2) If he had a dog (which might have knocked the guitar off its stand at some point)

3) If he had a burglar alarm (which can interfere with the electronics of a guitar rather like a ceiling fan)

4) Whether he would mind too much if you robbed his place .....

• Members

he owner of the guitar might not understand WHY you're asking the questions.

you clarified for us, but did you make it clear to him?

i find it best to be as direct and precise as possible when dealing with used 'stuff'.

if cosmetic condition is an issue then ask specific questions. finish condition? cracks in wood? any repairs? fret condition? etc

the electronics/mechanics--listen to it 'unplugged' first. play each note on the neck and listen for buzzes or 'dead' notes. check the nut and bridge condition.

plug it in and listen for 'noise' hums/buzzes. turn the knobs. do they crackle? that sort of thing.

you're buying the guitar, so you have to be the judge of whether its worth the effort of dealing with a jerk or not.

i've dealt with jerks before...they give good deals too. (they're just jerks about it ;) )

• Members

I would have explained how you are in a forum that is getting more and more modded evry dayand it's making you want to ask more and more questions.

You never know, the dude might be pissed off because he payed a lot of money forsome gear and the kid isn't caring enough about it or something.

I got a good deal on my Explorer because a 14 year old kid liked his brand new Gibson V better and was tired of this guitar. It's in very good shape...a few kid dings but in great shape. But the Dad was really nice and was interested in his kids music and gear and stuff too. It might be a great deal, if not, don't do it.

• Members

Trust me I thought about the age question. I 2nd guessed myself after I asked that on the phone.

I have twin girls 12, a senior in HS and a 6yr boy.

I would be cautious also.

But I left it after the question because I did not him to think I was questioning how well his kid took care of things.

With the 2nd question I explained why I asked it to him.

he just said mint.

More guitar played more wear and tear.

Well see.

I'll know better for next time.

• Members

Originally posted by travis bickle

i think this guy's being an asshole as well. you asked the right questions, and he's the one being unreasonable. i wouldn't deal with somebody like that.

How is his kid's age or how many guitars the kid has relevent? The guy described the condition of the guitar. He didn't say mint considering a 10 year owned it, he said mint. He didn't say mint considering it was his only guitar, he said mint. The guitar's either mint or it isn't. Questions about the kid won't determine that. Looking at it will.

• Members

The only problem with the word"MINT"

Everyone uses it WAY too loosely.

Nothing is mint unless you get it out of the box.

Ones that hang in stores or ones that someone played.

That's not mint.

There is always some ding, or superficial scratches in the finish or pick scrathes.

• Members

Originally posted by TOStudent

The only problem with the word"MINT"

Everyone uses it WAY too loosely.

Nothing is mint unless you get it out of the box.

Ones that hang in stores or ones that someone played.

That's not mint.

There is always some ding, or superficial scratches in the finish or pick scrathes.

Right, and questions about his kid won't clear that up. Seeing it in person will.

• Members

Originally posted by godofmetalguita

wow, sounds like an asshole. U tell him if he wants u to buy his guitar he'll tell u all u want to know, or else its not worth ur time. If he doesnt tell him to suck a D.

+1

if you asked him what he had for breakfast, that would be irrelevant...

but you asked tings that could be directly related to the condition of the guitar...

but at least you can drive by and scope it out..so you'll be able to answer your own questions..

and if you don't wanna buy it after seeing it and he asks you why..say it's irrelevant =)

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

+1

if you asked him what he had for breakfast, that would be irrelevant...

but you asked tings that could be directly related to the condition of the guitar...

but at least you can drive by and scope it out..so you'll be able to answer your own questions..

and if you don't wanna buy it after seeing it and he asks you why..say it's irrelevant =)

even if they aren't relevant there is a right way to say something and just saying irrelevenat is being a dick imho.

Archived